The Ozymandias Launch System needs your help!

AmpsterMan

Which ship do you like best?  

1. 1. Which ship do you like best?

• The original Ozymandias IV
    • The new Ozymandias V-AIII
    • The new Ozymandias V-C
    • Both new designs
    • All designs

This is a poll in which you get to decide which of the following three rocket ships I will be using for my future Manned Mun landings.

Hello fellow Kerbalnauts, Engineers, and Explosion Enthusiasts!

I have finally built a rocket that has fulfilled the following criteria for getting to the mun:

-three man pod

- No debris in orbit

- No debris on Mun or munar orbit

I present to you, the Ozymandias IV Munar Launch System!

ozymandiasiv.png

Though the maiden Voyage of the Ozymandias IV was a success, KASA went back to the drawing board concluding that "Moar Boosters" was not the cheapest solution to getting to Mun. KASA later contracted the designers of the Ozymandias IV to redesign the Ozymandias Mun Launch System (OMLS) to be a bit easier on the wallet and to use less fuel. The results where three new designs.

The Ozymandias V-AIII uses three Large Boosters instead of seven, two non gimballed and one gimballed engine in the middle of the stack. it is a 1.5 stage system that utilizes the better ISP ratings of the LV 1m series rockets to decrease the fuel use. Also, to compensate for the weaker first stage, the second stage uses a modified "Jor-El II TMI" stage.

ozymandiasvaiii.png

The Ozymandias V-C foregoes the idea of having a powerful first stage for a higher ISP. Indeed the first stage on this model lasts MUCH longer than either Ozymandias design. It as well is a 1.5 stage design with the outer stacks feeding into the inner stack. It is composed of 14 LV-30 1m engines for thrust and 1 LV-45 1m for control. Because of its lower TWR at launch, this provides a much more comfortable ride for your Kerbalnauts. The second stage is the standard "Jor-El II TMI" stage.

ozymandiasvc.png

Unfortunately the Ozymandias V-B was considered a failure from the get go. It was a hybrid of the Ozymandias IV-AIII and V-C design philosophies. With a few more design tweaks it might have been capable to go to Mun but the engineers decided the time was better spent on the two other designs.

This is where YOU come in. Which design do you think should be used by KASA? I'm uploading all three crafts so you can compare and contrast which you like best. If you have any suggested fixes for the different craft, please let me know and I'll consider your suggestions. Please note, all three craft are Mun capable. This is also just a discussion on the OMLS (that is the first stage), I am quite content with my "Jor-El II TMI" second stage and my "Kal-El I Munar Lander Module (MLM)" Still, if you have any suggestions on those, I welcome them.

Thank you in advance for everyone who participates in this poll; this community is truly wonderful because we all take the time to indulge in each other's space faring fantasies.

P.S. When I deem it fit, I'll release which ever ship i decide on with a full mission gallery and some flavor text for everyone.

P.P.S. These ships require the Mech-Jeb plugin, if there is enough demand, I'll upload them without it.

P.P.P.S. It also requires the unofficial fuel-bug hotfix.

Edited by AmpsterMan

I vote for the "The new Ozymandias V-AIII"

-To explain why.. its the least inefichent from all 3 designs.. Got better thrust to weight radio to other 2..

Decent flight characteristics, well for its sheer size.. and its possible to fly and land this one without MechJeb intervention..

However I strongly suggest that you redesign them all and strip down at-least 40% of its mass before considering flight..

IMO bigger is almost always better, as long as it's designed well. This super-heavy launch stage is the most powerful I've come up with, it can muscle huge payloads to Mun or Minmus. Over 27 large fuel tanks and 88,000 units of fuel on lift of.

That is an impressive rocket! Still, for my own personal tastes, I like to build rockets that fit the mission profile and that don't leave any debris in space.

I vote for the "The new Ozymandias V-AIII"

However I strongly suggest that you redesign them all and strip down at-least 40% of its mass before considering flight

Well I've tested these all out and they make it to Mun. But how do you suggest that I strip down 40% Mass? I have no idea how I would accomplish that with the three man lander. :confused:

Well I've tested these all out and they make it to Mun. But how do you suggest that I strip down 40% Mass? I have no idea how I would accomplish that with the three man lander. :confused:

- Here's my heavy 3 man lander.. If i didn't mess anything in calculating, its exactly 100T.. Same as yours debri free..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32827[/ATTACH]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.