How to balance a VTOL (with BG DLC)

• 3 weeks later...

With vtols, the centre of lift only really needs to be considered during normal flight or if you are descending/ ascending too fast. During slow, controlled hover manoeuvres centre of lift doesn’t really matter, after that all that matters is that your thrust in hover mode is able to balance your craft’s mass. This can require some tweaking with multi engine designs but once you know what you are trying to do it’s easy enough. One other thing that might be worth considering is that it's better if your centre of mass stays the same with both full and empty fuel loads.

Like dis:

gewereQ.png

Edited by Guest

Ive been working on this myself recently (and on and off for several years).

A trick Ive noted is to tilt the whole ship so that its in it's various flight configurations (i.e. hover, forward motion, etc.) and look at the vectors. It becomes fairly easy to see how it will react when you actually fly it.

Obviously, dumping all the fuel out of it and repeating is worth doing as well.

Be sure to post if you figure out how to get the KAL-1000 to behave with rotating engines... I am having immense trouble trying to get 2 of them to do yaw AND forward/backward at the same time.

Edited by surge

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.