Coronavirus

Xd the great

Well, it's either that, or giving them back new cash directly. Governments do that all the time. In any civilized country, if you have some old and dirty banknotes, you can take them to a bank and get new ones (as long as the serial numbers are legible). This isn't different. 

12 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Reminds me of Bank of Russia's regulation on handling of radioactively contaminated banknotes - usually because the police is very generous on radioactive iodine when they want to mark the cash.

Instruction 131-I.

They've apparently found shed virus in fecal swabs for people who are not shedding virus in their cough output. Wash your hands, people.

When I went to that car show in FL, I was paying attention to people in the airport bathrooms while I was washing my hands. Watching people walk out without washing their hands well... grrrr, those are the same people touching the tray table on the flight before you, etc. Filthy buggers.

Starting Thursday, Rospotrebnadzor has began to snatch anyone Asian-looking off the streets of Moscow for an (indeterminately thorough) medical check.

https://www.newsru.com/russia/20feb2020/moscow_china.html
That's barely a week after they got in hot water for doing health checks on minors without parental consent.

Similarly, public transport drivers have been ordered to request a police squad to detain any suspected Chinese nationals at the nearest stop.

https://www.newsru.com/russia/19feb2020/mosgortrans.html

Mosgortrans tried flat-out denial about the order, before caving in several hours later.

A reminder that as of today, there are 0 cases in Russia, and two Russian nationals have been infected abroad.

Edited by DDE

28 minutes ago, DDE said:

China's ambassador to Russia claims that a vaccine is in trial stages and the outbreak will be eliminated within a month

https://ria.ru/20200224/1565135523.html

Now that's a tall order. Vaccine(s) for normal flu are available every year before the season, yet every year thousands of people flock to clinics for help. "Eliminated within a month." - i'll believe when i'll see it &)

4 hours ago, Scotius said:

Now that's a tall order. Vaccine(s) for normal flu are available every year before the season, yet every year thousands of people flock to clinics for help. "Eliminated within a month." - i'll believe when i'll see it &)

Sounds ominous to me... 

Immunization Vaccines take time, but a 9mm 'vaccine' is very very quick...

Don't forget, China instituted the 1-child policy due to excessive population.  Wide-spread application of a 9mm vaccine could address both the corona virus and the excess population...

16 hours ago, Terwin said:

China instituted the 1-child policy due to excessive population

Afaik, this policy cancelled.

15 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

It was so much more fun making jokes about this before I ended up home sick with a fever of 102 and coughing up who knows what from my lungs.

Do you see a corona in the mirror?

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Afaik, this policy cancelled.

Yes, the 1-child policy turned out to be a huge mistake for China. Culturally so many people wanted sons that selective abortions and adoptions have drastically skewed the population to males. You would think maybe people would have realized that having daughters would have drastically upgraded their chances of having grandchildren, but it seems not many people thought that all the way through.

32 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Yes, the 1-child policy turned out to be a huge mistake for China. Culturally so many people wanted sons that selective abortions and adoptions have drastically skewed the population to males. You would think maybe people would have realized that having daughters would have drastically upgraded their chances of having grandchildren, but it seems not many people thought that all the way through.

I'm afraid that its cancellation is mostly not an undo, but a change to expansive strategy after the iterational industrial upgrade. Their south-eastern neighbors probably may start worrying.

Edited by kerbiloid

2 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Yes, the 1-child policy turned out to be a huge mistake for China. Culturally so many people wanted sons that selective abortions and adoptions have drastically skewed the population to males.

It's a problem that, historically, has resolved itself to a certain very ugly and bloody but reliable solution - just ask Conan the Barbarian. But instead, even with China's relatively nonexistent welfare system, this bulge might prove its undoing.

Edited by DDE

4 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

This bias against daughters was present for a long time, and is rooted in economy. Eldest son was an inheritor of the land, house, livestock etc. Spare sons were semi-free workforce. But daughters? Sure, they helped with some of workload, but ultimately became a burden when family had to provide them with dowry and marry them out to another family, which then reaped the benefits of additional pair of hands. Net loss for parents :P Sure, we know such trend is unsustainable and leads to huge problems down the line - but explain that to a pair of uneducated Chinese peasants.

Paradoxically, Western civilization avoided this trap partially thanks to feudalism, of all things. Of course - sons, especially the eldest one were more important. But a daughter - pretty, well groomed and educated one was a valuable "commodity" too for her family. Good political marriage led straight to alliance and increase in power, prestige and wealth. Such attitude eventually trickled down to middle and lower classes and became a social norm.

I have seen people saying the Spanish Flu (1918) had a mortality rate of ~2.5%, then I read it killed 3-5% of the population of the world. The actual mortality rate was more like 10-20% of those infected as per that chart. Covid19 is looking to be under 2% (since the number of actual cases likely grossly exceeds the number of confirmed cases by an amount that substantially exceeds any failures in death reporting).