Screencaps from PAX East 2020

prestja

13 hours ago, svgreindeer said:

He offhandedly mentioned a "new terrian system" while talking about colony building. He said the new terrain system is what makes him excited about what people will build. Could be nothing though.

Yer, you can lock structures onto the ground instead of them just sitting on the surface.

Upon closer look, do we think those circular strut parts Soviet style decouplers from Making History on the black/yellow and white/orange ships, or just a new form of structural part? I’m hoping that with the delay of KSP 2, maybe some of the dlc parts will be stock.  Not only do I like a lot of the BG and MH parts, I think that would be a good perk for returning players: all DLC as part of the baseline game for the sequel.

20 minutes ago, Teek said:

Upon closer look, do we think those circular strut parts Soviet style decouplers from Making History on the black/yellow and white/orange ships, or just a new form of structural part? I’m hoping that with the delay of KSP 2, maybe some of the dlc parts will be stock.  Not only do I like a lot of the BG and MH parts, I think that would be a good perk for returning players: all DLC as part of the baseline game for the sequel.

If they make KSP1 DLC features also DLC features of KSP2 I’d consider it a cash grab... they should make the best game they can the first time and with the incremental changes and expansions to KSP1 the concept and implementation work has already been done. There’s no reason that can’t be learnt from to give the base KSP2 game functionality on par with the current state of KSP1.

*well I suppose there is a case to be made for sets of Cold War era parts to be part of an historical DLC... but as for the features and improvements that came with “Making History” and other expansions, like robotics and mission makers... that should be base IMO!

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Likely that they're using multiple layers to represent terrain instead of just one, so there's "Deeper" ground instead of just a paper sphere and nothing but the endless void underneath.

So, this is an improvement because instead of __fill in the blank__ occurring, it means that __fill in the other blank__ will happen.  And that's a good thing, of course.

26 minutes ago, razark said:

So, this is an improvement because instead of __fill in the blank__ occurring, it means that __fill in the other blank__ will happen.  And that's a good thing, of course.

Instead of not being able to have any form of support for structures other than grappling terrain; it means that you can have things like piles, piers and columms driven into the "Ground" which will keep structures far more secure.

It'll also likely introduce more Krackens doh

On 3/1/2020 at 9:50 AM, XLjedi said:

The parts look great...  but they seem to be losing their "Kerbalness" quality.

I don't know if that's good or bad yet.

Totally agree with this and I for one think it is bad, very bad.  Kerbal ships should be Kludgy not Star Trekky, that is what we all love them for (and the explosions).  The high techy-techy designs are fine but I would like to see alternative "Kerbalized" skinned versions, not quite as extreme as this mod but at least less "professional".

58 minutes ago, razark said:

What does that mean, exactly?

I duno about the things other ppls are saying since I haven’t noticed any clips or info on piers or multi layered terrain (but I’d like to! So pls post a link for me >,<) but you will be able to anchor a structure to the terrain so for example your base won’t float away if you bump it if it’s on a low gee place. Or you might build a base on crater wall and not worry about it sliding into a pile on the floor etc... it’s just a mechanic to better enable bases. I duno any details beyond that.

Edited by Guest

17 hours ago, XLjedi said:

From that pic...  dunno if that's landing gear though.  Why would it be extended during this stage of the mission?

Edit: I did see another pic and that is definitely a large landing gear.

yea, it seems to be the same rocket as this one:

KlYYBlT.png

MCuJKoM.png

and I suspect its the same landing legs, or maybe a different size but a similar design here:

nnXt0kE.png

as to why its extended? why not? extend it asap to make sure the system works before leaving LKO? wouldn't want to get all the way to the destination and find the landing legs are jammed and won't deploy.

2 hours ago, archiebald said:

The high techy-techy designs are fine but I would like to see alternative "Kerbalized" skinned versions, not quite as extreme as this mod but at least less "professional".

That ship has sailed, I'm afraid. The dented-fuel-drum junkyard aesthetic is gone already. 

Spoiler

Personally I was never a fan, but I can see why someone else would miss it, as it does have personality and is consistent with the kerbal-ness of kerbals.

21 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Have they mentioned anything about terrain deformation? That's another way they could accomplish this that i didn't even think about.

That would fall under terraforming which will not be in KSP 2

I'm suspecting that they're still using the same pre-alpha footage and the same demos since the original announcement, I wouldn't bet on the fact that what they showed is the current state of the game, they suspiciously showed a very little subset of crafts and most of them seems to be the ones designed for the trailer in different colour schemes and locations.

The next update of any significance will likely be the end of March T2 earnings call.  Historically, this is when T2 talks about new releases planned for the current FY.  Seems like Disintegration is way further along than KSP2; I expect the KSP2 release date to trail by at least a quarter, by Christmas if we're lucky.

58 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

That would fall under terraforming which will not be in KSP 2

Landscaping isn't terraforming.

Somebody needs to 'shop Jeb's head on that kid, stat.

More seriously -- the main issue with landscaping isn't that it would be all that difficult to do with depth-map terrain; all you have to do is deform the depth map and that can't be that complicated. The difficulty is that it would need a whole new set of gameplay features -- parts for the purpose, controls that let you sculpt the terrain, and so on and so forth.

I think it would be very cool and there's a lot of potential in it, but I'm not sure it's so cool that it's worth the effort. The approach they seem to have taken is to anchor bases to the terrain with piles that level them off; that's bound to be a lot easier to do from every PoV and will accomplish the main thing, namely, getting the to stay level and stay where they're put.

If it was me, I'd put that on a list for possible expansions.

Edited by Guest

20 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

Landscaping isn't terraforming.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming

Terraforming or terraformation (literally, "Earth-shaping") of a planet, moon, or other body is the hypothetical process of deliberately modifying its atmosphere, temperature, surface topography or ecology to be similar to the environment of Earth to make it habitable by Earth-like life.

Sounds a lot like "terrain deformation" is included in what constitute as terraforming to me

Just now, mcwaffles2003 said:

Terraforming or terraformation (literally, "Earth-shaping") of a planet, moon, or other body is the hypothetical process of deliberately modifying its atmosphere, temperature, surface topography or ecology to be similar to the environment of Earth to make it habitable by Earth-like life.

Sounds a lot like "terrain deformation" is included in what constitute as terraforming to me

All cats have whiskers but not everyone who has whiskers is a cat.