KASA (Complete!)

CTV-7/CRV-1 & X-1.2-2: Partial Failures

Bob and Bill were stuck in the dysfunctional space station, and they didn't know how to activate the solar panels. They were also running out of snacks. Bob began regretting his life choices, while Bill, who had some sense, contacted KASA to arrange a rescue mission. And they delivered.

Spoiler

s1UPe2Y.png

Q6nnLHE.png

1djdMn8.png

DVAIQRc.png

u80CiQc.png

AvgoaHP.png

ywzf4e6.png

Mb9guDI.png

JCgL75k.png

DVJWH4h.png

laWFfu9.png

qgG0Flh.png

NlDdH4i.png

gLEDP7i.png

9ocUnb0.png

pXWqd0p.png

LtlEz80.png

All was well, until the time came to deorbit the craft. You see, the RTGs were located in the service module, and the capsule was powered by a probe core... you see the problem. So they deorbited with the service module. However, this lowered the periapsis so much that instead of landing as planned near KSC, and they landed in the desert for a second time. 

The engineers at the Spaceplane Hangar, meanwhile, was prepping the X-1.2-2 for another flight.

Spoiler

eWMtQvi.png

UGGrx1Z.png

hSX5Es6.png

QjWLy25.png

sRp3EaY.png

However, the mission didn't go as planned. I didn't want another perfect launch because I was so bored There was a software glitch and the engines shut off, so Jeb deployed the drogue chutes and airbrakes, but it crash-landed in the ocean, with only the cockpit surviving. 

Stay tuned, some exciting things are should be happening in a few days.

Muna-1: Massive Failure

The engineers at the VAB decided to send a probe to the mun. However, to improve public relations, Walt insisted that they hold a naming contest. Of course, the top choice was "bobby mcdoodle thing", so they had to cover it up and claim that Muna-1 was the top name (No, it was #509,202)

Spoiler

dpIlXmm.png

aSQULiG.png

9lnpLA0.png

i9oalsD.png

yIk3HhI.png

Ur3wdV4.png

With fairing separation, the probe started to shudder. Later analysis revealed that the 6 baguette fuel tanks clipped into the probe caused a kraken attack there was a fuel leak in one of the internal fuel tanks, promptly causing it to explode. However, the engineers blamed all the problems on the silver foil covering the probe, not the usual gold foil.

Edited by Misguided_Kerbal

@Misguided_Kerbal 'aight m8, I've heard rumours of something on Bop a Jool moon called the kraken, might needa prove true or false when you can.

Also just a quick idea, I heard that KSP 2 will be multiplayer so when that is out you can be the head of the KASA save and we can be the crews or builders or whatever.

2 hours ago, Kraken that doesn't exist said:

@Misguided_Kerbal 'aight m8, I've heard rumours of something on Bop a Jool moon called the kraken, might needa prove true or false when you can.

Also just a quick idea, I heard that KSP 2 will be multiplayer so when that is out you can be the head of the KASA save and we can be the crews or builders or whatever.

That is a great idea, but I probably won't have the time, and I'm probably not going to get KSP 2. I play on and off, like a few minutes every day. I like my really really modded install of KSP 1.7, and I'm probably going to keep playing it until it breaks or my computer breaks. But if I do get KSP 2, then that might happen, with emphasis on might.

1 minute ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

That is a great idea, but I probably won't have the time, and I'm probably not going to get KSP 2. I play on and off, like a few minutes every day. I like my really really modded install of KSP 1.7, and I'm probably going to keep playing it until it breaks or my computer breaks. But if I do get KSP 2, then that might happen, with emphasis on might.

'aight

Muna-2 & Muna-3: MUN!

Spoiler

Z5y4zNF.png

jh4X2WK.png

VdpyvL8.png

Dl72llg.png

HAGhSIO.png

qCcTjNZ.png

yMrODA8.png

9gO3blt.png

wJuhWHE.png

zcFqYHg.png

x3wQgvR.png

MzDDgAu.png

Ovm4JPz.png

Vt8bKHQ.png

The VAB had finally outdone the SPH! Not only had Muna-2 orbited the mun, it had also landed on it. 

Spoiler

Of course, as soon as Muna-2 landed, they went rocket sledding on the surface and promptly destroyed it. But that was ok, Walt Kerman liked the publicity.

Spoiler

QIinT6e.png

BKG2vG4.png

WKdccud.png

lBhKCpk.png

hBN7vfk.png

Zwm9fD0.png

ejftpuE.png

eFsaI6X.png

v5OadxP.png

NSYgnk3.png

FCuLE6n.png

wc2wokn.png

if8ieLR.png

myPJezd.png

Muna-3 was also an astounding success. It was the first launch at dawn, and it has the best screenshots pictures ever taken so far. It is now in Mun orbit to act as a relay for future Mun missions.

2 minutes ago, Kraken that doesn't exist said:

@Misguided_Kerbal you made me download the mod Restock buy the better looking parts for my rockets due to this thanks.

If you really want an enhanced game experience, I have a list:

Scatterer, EVE, SVE, SVT, Kopernicus Expansion EVA Footprints, Restock, Restock+, All of Nertea's mods (Near Future, Kerbal Atomics, Cryo Engines, Mk4 Spaceplane, SSPXR), Astrogator, KSC Extended, and all of the dependencies. These are all in this game, I think.

2 minutes ago, Kraken that doesn't exist said:

Well there is a problem with steam for me somehow, the steam properties does allow me to change versions all the way from 1.9.1 to 1.5.1 but only 1.9(.1) works for me so I can't use your recommendations, thanks though.

These mods (most of them) are all up to date, either 1.8 or 1.9. I'm just using older versions, that's all. 

Minmus 1, M1, and M2: Mun Landing!

After the Muna 2 and 3 probes, A probe was sent to Minmus. Everything went well, except for the fact that i cleared my screenshot folder before posting the mission there was a camera malfunction. Shortly after, M1 was launched.

Spoiler

u49w5ZB.png

JxwQvHr.png

0boFoLy.png

Sadly, I accidentally pressed the space bar 4 times, staging all the engines, and everything was full throttle there was a malfunction with the staging computer, and M1 had to abort. However, a new one was quickly rolled out, and Valentina happily agreed to launch again.

Spoiler

NLcLAX4.png

nF0gjms.png

3LFaLrf.png

ilCV51N.png

VrP9Oc2.png

RHM619N.png

ttxHLPf.png

yIKb6vw.png

21RQdfW.png

PK9WaLi.png

uXakid9.png

l4e8Wec.png

oll6huU.png

Fg8imqJ.png

QWq6fWC.png

gTwB2AF.png

HytRMWa.png

KYOeefD.png

Kcj8ESh.png

IVin24S.png

h9U9W0O.png

Z8HzJow.png

Tb1KmyB.png

JUlIydK.png

uzDlJIo.png

gBXTS3H.png

Tf1Hrvx.png

NMwSYdX.png

T3C9b4j.png

RjPS3eb.png

tIlqiXl.png

RBnUHS1.png

PuoA34X.png

kqwsq8T.png

pvBLLCX.png

V9xXGNg.png

XDlvoZc.png

FOzmlmX.png

9YD8RhB.png

oWaJuYP.png

5d40ulX.png

GptAT8h.png

TrKBiVG.png

3PHmQP9.png

LQNr3m6.png

KNBClZG.png

09Orcki.png

xsKDf2D.png

v2CtTe9.png

MTG6J34.png

XrxZ3BC.png

447hfxr.png

XSq6nWk.png

Muna 1, with Valentina, Lizkin, and Nelson Kerman made it safely back to Kerbin, with just 32 m/s of delta-v to spare. Now Valentina finally has something to tease Jeb with.

Note: If there's so many pictures just for a Mun mission, how many pictures do you think a Duna mission would be?

Note 2: I finally got around to updating the launch list in OP.

M3 and M4: WE ALL LOVE THE MUN! actually it's really boring, just a big gray ball.

After the success of M2, Jebediah, who had been off on a mission, decided that her would also land on the mun. KASA staff agreed, so Jebediah, Bill, and Bob got ready to launch.

Spoiler

fdccIzB.png

LS2C5j6.png

EvKJ1wH.png

5jfEb2z.png

UA5B3Is.png

nTdhfGd.png

9dXrSJv.png

k0hVjQw.png

iqVoarz.png

5IUKEsq.png

8nXXGaE.png

gtWjCQb.png

SU5rbRQ.png

Ry13s9e.png

AtGZq9E.png

6V9EuzJ.png

kfz07WE.png

ARe1YbJ.png

GPpfF41.png

dd7ZlBX.png

Kd541PN.png

ac4ZzxO.png

om2En9t.png

JQGLKrc.png

mYOdDSj.png

lUfCYIE.png

IXmrcxv.png

I0XoufA.png

k0acqlU.png

7NFIs9c.png

6Ht9LTB.png

N9bIe1p.png

They returned successfully, and landed in the desert.

Jeb really liked the Mun, so he dragged Bill and Bob along for another one, to one up Valentina in the namesake of science!

Spoiler

xcsj2XO.png

FX78MvN.png

3UVxs3Y.png

uKDOlIy.png

emb92Hl.png

U0HlF2H.png

j2u71DA.png

n2hsE5g.png

C3lR2XJ.png

F9vgYl8.png

bjoxZh5.pngdVcaJ88.png

tVWocgd.png

Za1X5oB.png

Auotk8H.png

3iwNNJt.png

NZz9Oiw.png

pZQmGI4.png

HIVwBHl.pngOoGAoL0.pngH0uWsJ1.png

VoUxBhS.png

ryeanXX.png

FWpQ8ui.png5ASltIw.pngZ51DvMK.pngd2m33aU.pngqvvXRUI.pngKTDVHtd.pnge6gl8VX.pngDXOyS6a.pngMhKdwKr.pngCFHd4sf.pngNNJEBZr.pngMZEvjiQ.png6ah8RGK.pngEuvyE8U.pngscbpt0t.pngXdMDVMl.pngWJIg6Cz.pngufV1Wdx.pngpfbS2ID.pngSdQFhCd.png

The mission went well. However, at reentry, gee forces maxed out at 15 GEES! Everyone was fine, and M4 landed just off the coast of the KSC.

Sidenote:

Spoiler

1. Should I install a planet pack of some sort? I've been thinking either Extrasolar or OPM.

2. Should I do a bit more storytelling?

3. Should I do more spaceplane stuff or more rocket stuff?

MN1: The First Steps on Minmus!

After the Mun, Minmus was clearly the next target. Originally it was Valentina scheduled for the mission, but then Jebediah snuck into Gene's office and scribbled his name on the roster, so he got put on MN1, much to the confusion of Valentina.

Spoiler

z87aosc.png

eMo0iI8.png

9TiCUzF.png

CdUqeNO.png

12J7bu0.png

qSzj3j1.png

TrbQVLx.png

bhegh6U.png

G5LUtqo.png

xBRsCyH.png

DyPEqGc.png

UL9RMMh.png

t18ts5L.png

YtTHCIr.png

R08CY8W.png

ldW3Yff.png

G2fK68r.png

eq9FUGJ.png

6XsdHtA.png

HlSPI24.png

qhyEUiR.png

ld3x3Yr.png

hwsl6eC.png

2LTkGxx.png

pRf3See.png

EpJ2FZK.png

k8mRX4H.png

uetO9HM.png

YlpA0f3.png

q78huCV.png

npwBwOp.png

nQjeJbj.png

IIfhKXk.png

pXaRErx.png

H3EHcyz.png

9JllRZU.png

e5HZ6O1.png

The Mission went flawlessly, with only two problems, one being that once landed on Minmus, the navigational computer still read in Orbital mode, not Surface mode, and that the Capsule had to make many aerobraking passes before real reentry. 2 more manned missions are planned for Minmus, then docking attempts, and then focus on the interplanetary encounters (Moho, then Duna, then Eve).

MN2: Successful Failure, and the end of Minmus missions for now

After the first successful landing on Minmus, a second shot was inevitable. So a second shot there was.

Spoiler

fuUzAPM.png

0G86hh5.png

S2b2CXc.png

AUmsH99.png

Zb8vY4V.png

FociU8Z.png

5EUF9IB.png

AsarJks.png

VQgl1An.png

ywB3nwA.png

dY2Vgtw.png

nQlInT2.png

pbzNQmj.png

CH3VYOz.png

pek4I2t.png

uxeqaWa.png

ma5IM98.png

nDHhprC.png

dRd9jU4.png

qXSAJ51.png

ZifTY0G.png

Zy3xM5U.png

Vrpvkt4.png'

D3MtBAF.png

ZxXJGMu.png

cvhfDDE.png

GRxbrwJ.png

L9cgnpe.png

5LkQeKi.png

ZydBfzl.png

qdcKBDH.png

During the mission, some things went wrong. While trying to achieve a Minmus encounter, the Mun got into the way and performed a gravity assist, sending it on a Kerbin escape trajectory. So a mission abort was decided. It was deemed a successful failure because while it had not achieved its goal, it had provided insight into aborts of this kind and trajectory problems for future Minmus missions, and returned the crew, Jebediah, Bob, and Bill back safely, again at over 15 GEES! 

It has been decided that for the near future, there will be no Minmus missions, instead focusing on the interplanetary windows (Duna in ~ 180 days, Moho in ~ 60 days) and Kerbin orbit operations.

CTV 8: Return to LKO

KASA restored its focus to LKO operations, for future missions beyond Kerbin's SOI. They would need to have to be able to dock for a manned Duna mission, so that returned to being the primary focus. With that, the VAB rolled out a shiny new version of the CTV: CTV v3, mainly for LKO operations and for future Duna missions.

Spoiler

rfC0HTV.png

HEC30U9.png

NJG2uYl.png

i2KBitc.png

dDxaZxJ.png

LkPHdNJ.png

GdDOA84.png

SpdjJ7N.png

6MW1tbK.png

pYB4yHl.png

Tl1UsnM.png

E52x70Y.png

vj9rDfm.png

xsUrTG3.png

FGcGJSA.png

Jz5LqrA.png

MeD3R81.png

oTLrp2X.png

3iUCZVn.png

aIt9MMR.png

HnYgdwL.png

nAZn2tW.png

vMijrSH.png

fse7Ev1.png

The mission was a full success, and after splashdown, the floats inflated, and Jeb, Bob, and Bill were quickly recovered.

Spoiler

It would be nice for some tips and comments. I feel like I'm just posting to myself here. 

Anyways, here's a roadmap for future KASA missions:

ADT: Docking target for CTV-9

CTV-9: Docking with ADT

X-2: SSTO shuttle

Moho-1: Moho probe

Duna-1 + IkeSat: Duna probe and IkeSat

Duna Direct + Prosperity: Duna relay and Prosperity lander

BPHR-2/Pioneer Station Module 1

BPHR-3/Pioneer Station Module 2

BPHR-3/Pioneer Station module 3

CTV-10: Docking with Pioneer Station

Eve-1 + GRP: Eve probe and Gilly Research Platform

EHARL + Venus: Eve relay and Venus lander

Jool-1: Jool probe

Laythe Explorer + Vulcan: Laythe research probe and Vulcan lander

This probably won't be the full list, or in the correct order, but it's what I want to do.

Loving the storytelling in this, keep it up! 

Just a minor tip here, you might want to perform a gravity turn at launch, it'll save you a lot of dV, and honestly, looks a lot cooler. 

Cheers!

Also, I would suggest using JNSQ for another level of challenge in KSP. 

39 minutes ago, alberro+ said:

Loving the storytelling in this, keep it up! 

Just a minor tip here, you might want to perform a gravity turn at launch, it'll save you a lot of dV, and honestly, looks a lot cooler. 

Cheers!

Also, I would suggest using JNSQ for another level of challenge in KSP. 

Thanks! Also, let me mention that I am doing gravity turns, it's just that during the gravity turn, I usually don't have time to take screenshots, as I'm too busy fighting SAS, and that I circularize at apoapsis or I might actually be doing something wrong. In that case, please tell me. 

I was planning on using Sigma Dimensions and Rescale or JNSQ, but only after I've completed everything in stock. 

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

Thanks! Also, let me mention that I am doing gravity turns, it's just that during the gravity turn, I usually don't have time to take screenshots, as I'm too busy fighting SAS, and that I circularize at apoapsis or I might actually be doing something wrong. In that case, please tell me. 

I was planning on using Sigma Dimensions and Rescale or JNSQ, but only after I've completed everything in stock. 

Cheers!

No problem! The only other suggestion I would put down would be using more complex rocket designs, and not just using small launchers with an Orion mockup on top. Also, definitely use JNSQ. Stock just doesn't compare to the detail of JNSQ.

SatLink 1: Satellite Constellation, Commnet for all!

While the rest of got busy preparing CTV-9 and ADT, the experimental technologies group got to work on a satellite constellation, named SatLink. Normally, Wernher did not complain about any new things, because he himself was working on the experimental LV-N, but he did not like this at all. This is the exact transcript of the briefing between him and Gene:

Gene: Ok Wernher, as you know, tomorrow we're going to launch SatLink on the BPHR Heavy.

Wernher: Vat is this SatLink you talk about? Ve going to launch CTV-9, nein?

Gene: Err, no? We're going to launch CTV-9 after SatLink. It's going to be a satellite constellation for better communication.

Wernher: Vat? You mean satellite constellation, nein? That vill put lots of space junk, it is bad idea! You must stop!

Gene: Um, Wernher, we already started. The BPHR's on the pad already.

Wernher: Da kids these days. Always want to launch space junk into orbit!

(Wernher proceeds to sulk out of the room, slamming the door)

Gene: Ok Boomer!

Wernher: (Redacted), (Redacted), (Redacted), (Redacted), (Redacted), (Redacted), (Redacted)!

The next day, the BPHR Heavy got filled up, and prepared for launch. Jeb pestered Gene about why he couldn't ride that, but shut up when Gene told him that if he didn't stop, he wouldn't be selected for the next mission.

Spoiler

2qbflGF.png

Fiv58Av.png

xG5pKpI.png

TMXOdK9.png

VvgSNKT.png

W6Pido8.png

AEVBULU.png

p0cCkly.png

WBRyuEj.png

GBsfnnF.png

HaqsjZU.png

Ky5fSda.png

X6M4aLc.png

L47PVhv.png

a6O2d32.png

However, the launch didn't go perfectly. There was a problem with the staging computer, but SatLink still got into orbit, and all satellites deployed successfully (not shown here). The engineers have noted these problems for future launches of BPHR heavy.

After the launch, the SPH proclaimed that they had something in store, and they would have it out soon.

3 minutes ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

SatLink 1: Satellite Constellation, Commnet for all!

While the rest of got busy preparing CTV-9 and ADT, the experimental technologies group got to work on a satellite constellation, named SatLink. Normally, Wernher did not complain about any new things, because he himself was working on the experimental LV-N, but he did not like this at all. This is the exact transcript of the briefing between him and Gene:

Gene: Ok Wernher, as you know, tomorrow we're going to launch SatLink on the BPHR Heavy.

Wernher: Vat is this SatLink you talk about? Ve going to launch CTV-9, nein?

Gene: Err, no? We're going to launch CTV-9 after SatLink. It's going to be a satellite constellation for better communication.

Wernher: Vat? You mean satellite constellation, nein? That vill put lots of space junk, it is bad idea! You must stop!

Gene: Um, Wernher, we already started. The BPHR's on the pad already.

Wernher: Da kids these days. Always want to launch space junk into orbit!

(Wernher proceeds to sulk out of the room, slamming the door)

Gene: Ok Boomer!

Wernher: (Redacted), (Redacted), (Redacted), (Redacted), (Redacted), (Redacted), (Redacted)!

The next day, the BPHR Heavy got filled up, and prepared for launch. Jeb pestered Gene about why he couldn't ride that, but shut up when Gene told him that if he didn't stop, he wouldn't be selected for the next mission.

Hide contents

2qbflGF.png

Fiv58Av.png

xG5pKpI.png

TMXOdK9.png

VvgSNKT.png

W6Pido8.png

AEVBULU.png

p0cCkly.png

WBRyuEj.png

GBsfnnF.png

HaqsjZU.png

Ky5fSda.png

X6M4aLc.png

L47PVhv.png

a6O2d32.png

However, the launch didn't go perfectly. There was a problem with the staging computer, but SatLink still got into orbit, and all satellites deployed successfully (not shown here). The engineers have noted these problems for future launches of BPHR heavy.

After the launch, the SPH proclaimed that they had something in store, and they would have it out soon.

Hopefully CTV-9 doesn't RUD before launch.:wink:

Just now, alberro+ said:

Hopefully CTV-9 doesn't RUD before launch.:wink:

I hope not, because I really want to start building a station soon, and it doesn't seen good if you build a station before docking. But I think I might be able to dock successfully this time!

4 hours ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

I hope not, because I really want to start building a station soon, and it doesn't seen good if you build a station before docking. But I think I might be able to dock successfully this time!

I would suggest modifying some sort of satellite or bus model, and repurposing it as a docking probe, and practicing with that.

P.S I could share some of my older/current designs if you'd like.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.