Scriptable System

IkkiNit

On 4/11/2020 at 9:40 PM, IkkiNit said:

It's just not graphical interface that is needed. If the devs don't let the mods access to some parts of the game, some things won't be possible like in Kerbal 1.

Kerbal 2 need to have all accessed by a complete API to be able to mod all the commands in the mod.

I have no problem to have it in a mod but devs have to do a job in order to have a complete mod not just a part like in Kerbal 1.

Admittedly we are working off highly edited comments in videos that are trying not to literally give the game away but it sounds like they created a Lua interface in to the engine code very early in development to do prototyping of the games systems.

Given that I'd suspect there is lots of already well documented points for mods to interface right in the very core of the game because part of the team are basically in house modders (I suspect many of them very well know around here).

Could be complete wrong on many accounts.

On 4/11/2020 at 7:30 AM, mattinoz said:

I thought scripting support was already confirmed as part of improved modding. So it’s really just interface both external and if an internal interface will be stock or mod. 

The scripting they were talking about in that is at a different level - it's to control the game/parts, not to control the ships/stations/flights.

You could likely use one to build the other, since it's at a lower level of abstraction of course.

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2020 at 7:07 AM, Master39 said:

I sincerely hope that they already implemented scripting.

To who's saying that not all player codes, do you use the action groups? A visual scripting system would actually be easier to understand and use than the action group system and useful to everyone, not just the hardcore coders that are going to fly everything with a script.

Auto-staging, landing aids, solar panel deployment, fairing separation, parachute deployment, ejection sequences, there are a lot of small things that would be extremely easy to automate using a visual scripting language and, once you have that putting a text window on the side showing the actual code for more advanced users it's easy.

We're talking about something like this:

visual-programming-language-blocks.jpg&f

It's not rocket science.

I've had the same thought repeatedly, seems to get a lot of pushback despite it not being all that much of a step away from what we've got currently)

Edited by betaking

Considering that KSP is already teaching elements of rocket science adding a scripting system would probably be useful, and relatively simple for players to use.

Make it capable of hardcore stuff too - like launch and landing guidance scripts. But if you never want to touch it - you don’t have to. 

I would love to see "Skratch" in KSP2. A VPL capable of amazingly large things (like Scratch), but tailored to be able to also read and edit values of a ship (depending on if it can be read or edited, like the throttle of an engine or the altimeter). kOS has a close place in my heart but it's a written language, which I'm not the best at memorizing.

I wouldn't be upset if it was just Scratch with a few extra KSP-themed blocks, but it would also be cool to see one tailored to fit the theme and color scheme of KSP2's UI and stuff.

There's a couple old interviews where they mention a MM-like system implemented in .Lua, and there's likely some level of automation being built out for the Interstellar Colonies and the supplies needed. But it's a pretty safe bet that some degree of scripting will be in place, and since this system exposes API's that mods to extend it will be made rather easily.

But i really don't get the "Not all players can code" rallying cry; there's entire groups of KSP players that haven't ever learned how to dock and still went to Duna and beyond. There's entire sections of KSP players that don't use commnet, play career or use parts they consider OP. So if a automation/scripting system was implemented i highly doubt that it would be done in such a way to force you to use it. It would augment manual mission planning, flying and building; not replace it entirely.

12 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

Basically Making History's Mission Builder.

But useful.

eh, not really, at least not really replicating mission-builder so much as replicating KOS, or creating action-groups and KAL-1000's that possess stuff like "condition blocks".

5 hours ago, betaking said:

eh, not really, at least not really replicating mission-builder so much as replicating KOS, or creating action-groups and KAL-1000's that possess stuff like "condition blocks".

The mission builder is a sort of visual scripting, having that on a part like the "KAL-1000" would just work as KOS without needing to learn an actual scripting language, put a window with the script code converted in Python or Lua on the side of the one with the blocks and the system actually starts teaching the players how to program.