ModuleScienceContainer: volume/mass/size?

Disclaimer: I'm asking something that may be beyond my current understanding :)  But let's boldly go ...

Is there any sort of guideline or requirement or standard for a part that will contain ModuleScienceContainer?  Asked in another way ... if I was dreaming of a part mod that would have that module in it, are there physics-types of constraints on the part design that I should keep in mind?

On 8/28/2020 at 11:10 AM, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Disclaimer: I'm asking something that may be beyond my current understanding :)  But let's boldly go ...

Is there any sort of guideline or requirement or standard for a part that will contain ModuleScienceContainer?  Asked in another way ... if I was dreaming of a part mod that would have that module in it, are there physics-types of constraints on the part design that I should keep in mind?

There is no in-game check to see if the part you have attached the ModuleScienceContainer is large enough, but the Experiment Storage Unit is about 0.625x0.625x0.7m which gives it a volume of about 0.273 cubic meters.  I don't think soil samples have mass in the game, but a solid mass of granite (which is pretty dense) with that volume would weigh about (734 kg) 0.734 metric tons.  Apollo 11 returned with about 22 kg of material.

Edited by hemeac

14 minutes ago, hemeac said:

There is no in-game check to see if the part you have attached the ModuleScienceContainer is large enough, but the Experiment Storage Unit is about 0.625x0.625x0.7m which gives it a volume of about 0.273 cubic meters.  I don't think soil samples have mass in the game, but a solid mass of granite with that volume would weigh about 0.734 metric tons.

Collecting science in KSP is a bit of a mixed bag, in terms of how to materialize it. Most science tends to be the results of measurements and readings and scans - data that is clearly electronic in nature, which would lead to the science container being a data storage device. But then there's talk about rocks and material you've collected, and so it's a thing that has a lot more in common with a fuel tank than a hard drive. Meh - enough overthinking :) Just didn't want to design something that seemed cheaty.

Think that is fair.  I am guessing if one was inclined/skilled enough to add volume to certain experiments and have them stored in slots in the manner of the breaking ground DLC or kerbal inventory system, that would help with the exploitability of one probe travelling to all biomes of a map and having a science container return to Kerbin.

• 3 months later...

On 8/29/2020 at 2:57 PM, hemeac said:

Think that is fair.  I am guessing if one was inclined/skilled enough to add volume to certain experiments and have them stored in slots in the manner of the breaking ground DLC or kerbal inventory system, that would help with the exploitability of one probe travelling to all biomes of a map and having a science container return to Kerbin.

(slowly) working on this idea for a while. I'm barely a coder, but it's coming along ok-ish.

Edited by cyberKerb

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.