Spaceplane abort system and posting pictures

I am designing a passenger space plane but i'm having some trouble with my last resort abort system.

If the vehicle is in-atmosphere but has no way of landing safely , my abort system is quite simply just for the kerbals to jump out and use their parachutes to land. The only problem is that when they jump out , they hit the vertical stabiliser. I have tried using a hinge to rotate it out of way but the kraken didn't seem to like that. I've also tried using side decouplers to detach it but i cant seem to get abort action groups working. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also how do you post pictures from your computer on the forums?

You could do it the Kerbal way, and put all your passengers on external seats inside a cargo bay. Mission going south? Just arm their chutes, turn their ejection force up and fire then out of their seats to parachute safely down- just remember to open the bay doors first! You might even be able to set up an action group to eject them all at once.

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

I now have another question. My spaceplane has a little elevator to bring kerbals to the ground from the plane. The problem is that the elevator is in the cargo bay and the only way to use it is to start in the external seat on it , is there any way to transfer kerbals to the external seat without performing an EVA from the crew cabins?

10 minutes ago, Soyuzturtle said:

is there any way to transfer kerbals to the external seat without performing an EVA from the crew cabins?

No, the only way to get into an external seat is by going on EVA. You could change your elevator to use a Mk1 Lander Can instead if you want to transfer crew into it.

3 hours ago, Soyuzturtle said:

Post the pictures somewhere where you can get a link to the image, such as Imgur or Discord. Copy the image link, and when you paste the link the image will appear.

4 hours ago, Soyuzturtle said:

I am designing a passenger space plane but i'm having some trouble with my last resort abort system.

If the vehicle is in-atmosphere but has no way of landing safely , my abort system is quite simply just for the kerbals to jump out and use their parachutes to land. The only problem is that when they jump out , they hit the vertical stabiliser. I have tried using a hinge to rotate it out of way but the kraken didn't seem to like that. I've also tried using side decouplers to detach it but i cant seem to get abort action groups working. Does anyone have any ideas?

the mk 2 spaceplane cockpit is a great lifting body, meaning it can "glide" on its own without any large wings. I use a hidden decoupler behind a mk2 cockpit with canards on the cockpit to act like a escape shuttle that can reenter and land on its own. parachutes help with landing.

LwHBOA8.jpgPGea7RX.jpg

Edited by SpaceFace545

1 hour ago, SpaceFace545 said:

the mk 2 spaceplane cockpit is a great lifting body, meaning it can "glide" on its own without any large wings. I use a hidden decoupler behind a mk2 cockpit with canards on the cockpit to act like a escape shuttle that can reenter and land on its own. parachutes help with landing.

LwHBOA8.jpgPGea7RX.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion but my spaceplane is focused on passenger transport and it has 3 MK2 crew cabins behind the cockpit so this design wouldn't be possible. From all my feedback here I'll probably do a complete re design of the shuttle with a better abort system.

1 hour ago, Soyuzturtle said:

Thanks for the suggestion but my spaceplane is focused on passenger transport and it has 3 MK2 crew cabins behind the cockpit so this design wouldn't be possible. From all my feedback here I'll probably do a complete re design of the shuttle with a better abort system.

Why do you need an abort system exactly. Things don’t really malfunction in KSP or is it for “realism” 

What about something like this form the proposed 2nd gen space shuttle.

https://imgur.com/e6bBQXi

Edited by SpaceFace545

10 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Why do you need an abort system exactly. Things don’t really malfunction in KSP or is it for “realism” 

What about something like this form the proposed 2nd gen space shuttle.

https://imgur.com/e6bBQXi

It's partly for realism but mainly it's because I don't have revert flights enabled. I'm also not very good at keeping the right angle on re-entry so it's not rare for things to blow up , hence the need for my kerbals to be able to escape if something critical to flight is destroyed. 

I'll give that detaching crew cabin a try. :)

Edited by Soyuzturtle
Misspelled 'partly'

3 hours ago, Soyuzturtle said:

It's partly for realism but mainly it's because I don't have revert flights enabled. I'm also not very good at keeping the right angle on re-entry so it's not rare for things to blow up , hence the need for my kerbals to be able to escape if something critical to flight is destroyed. 

I'll give that detaching crew cabin a try. :)

Try the airplane autopilot mod, it adds fly by wire so it keeps the attitude and smoothed out controls

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.