I created a Tractor Beam

uscespc

I'm not much of a modeler(as you can see) or coder but I like to play at it just to see if it can be done and can I do it and this is one of my projects a Tractor Beam.

It's part of the craft which is another project and not standalone and can only pick things up which is what I intended.

I have no idea how well it plays with most of the stock items or other mods, this is a test setup with minimal mods;

The girder is from Near Future Construction and the containers, target I created to test with.

7 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

What's  the range, and does it drop in strength ?

I don't know what the max range could be, it's just a FixedJoint so whatever the limits for that are. I've tested it at 100m.

As for strength I have the breaking forces set to Mathf.Infinity but it would be easy to have the strength decrease with increased distance or just set a max range for use.

And for more realism FixedJoint has currentForce and currentTorque parameters you could monitor and take action when thresholds are reached.

Also a ConfigurableJoint might be a better option but so many parameters and few examples on setting one up.

This is just an adaptation of the magnets found in numerous mods.

TY for the like, I use many of the mods you maintain.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.