I just downloaded the steam version of KSP. I know that most mods go into the gamedata folder. I found a game data folder but I am not getting any results when I put a mod in there. Here is the path I am using:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData

Is this not the correct one? On my old computer I just right clicked on the KSP shortcut icon, clicked to see the actual location, found the game data folder and used that. On this download I can't do that for some reason. Any help would be appreciated.

Just now, ussoldier2002 said:

I just downloaded the steam version of KSP. I know that most mods go into the gamedata folder. I found a game data folder but I am not getting any results when I put a mod in there. Here is the path I am using:

Is this not the correct one? On my old computer I just right clicked on the KSP shortcut icon, clicked to see the actual location, found the game data folder and used that. On this download I can't do that for some reason. Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe you are installing the mod incorrectly.

Most of the mods come in a .zip file, extract that in Downloads, and the resulting folder will probably have a "GameData" folder, open that and a folder with the mod's name should be there, copy that folder and paste it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\comon\Kerbal Space Program\GameData and it should be good, if it's not, and if you are 100% sure that it's correctly installed,  then you will need to ask in the mod's thread.

Hello There

The directory is correct: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData

So youre saying that you can't put any mods on the downloads Folder?

4 minutes ago, ussoldier2002 said:

I found a game data folder but I am not getting any results when I put a mod in there

youre saying that the mod wont load?

check if there are any needed dependencies and check if you have the current latest install of the mod

I kind of dont understand but a reply will help.

3 hours ago, miguelsgamingch said:

Hello There

The directory is correct: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData

So youre saying that you can't put any mods on the downloads Folder?

youre saying that the mod wont load?

check if there are any needed dependencies and check if you have the current latest install of the mod

I kind of dont understand but a reply will help.

I am saying the mod will not load. I will check if there are any dependencies. I didn't think about that. From what I remember Mech Jeb didn't need any but I could be wrong.

3 hours ago, ussoldier2002 said:

I strongly recommend you copy your KSP to another location outside Program Files (x86) for a couple of reasons, namely UAC and to avoid auto updates.

3 hours ago, Commodore_32 said:

Maybe you are installing the mod incorrectly.

Most of the mods come in a .zip file, extract that in Downloads, and the resulting folder will probably have a "GameData" folder, open that and a folder with the mod's name should be there, copy that folder and paste it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\comon\Kerbal Space Program\GameData and it should be good, if it's not, and if you are 100% sure that it's correctly installed,  then you will need to ask in the mod's thread.

That's odd. That's what I am doing. Someone mentioned dependencies. I didn't think about that. 

1 minute ago, VoidSquid said:

I strongly recommend you copy your KSP to another location outside Program Files (x86) for a couple of reasons, namely UAC and to avoid auto updates.

Thank you. I will look into this. I was under the impression that it will corrupt the game or something if you remove it from under steam.

4 minutes ago, ussoldier2002 said:

I was under the impression that it will corrupt the game or something if you remove it from under steam.

Thankfully KSP is one of the few games that doesn't require Steam running in the background, even more, it doesn't matter where the actual game folder is located.

Just now, VoidSquid said:

Thankfully KSP is one of the few games that doesn't require Steam running in the background, even more, it doesn't matter where the actual game folder is located.

I am going to do that then. Steam drives me insane. Should I copy and paste in a new directory or completely remove it from steam?

I'd copy the whole KSP folder, rather than moving it, as Steam "thinks" it as has a KSP installation. And if a new patch is released, I copy my actual game folder back to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program, run the update via Steam, and copy it back to my actual game folder, e.g. C:\KSP. These copy operations are best done using robocopy, if you're not afraid of the command line window (Windows key+R, cmd), but you can do that via the GUI as well.

Oh, and making regular backups, better safe than sorry :) 

Which mod are you trying to install? Some will include their dependencies in the download but others will just list the dependencies and you need to get them yourself. You need to make sure that you copied the folders over correctly or the mod won’t work- just copying the entire folder over after unzipping it is rarely the right thing to do.

CKAN is a great tool if you plan to install a lot of mods as it can do version control (which you can override if you want), automatically install dependencies and check for mod conflicts, however not everything is on CKAN and sometimes the information it has is incorrect. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but it’s much easier than trawling through several different sites to find new mods or updated versions.

I strongly recommend that you copy KSP out of steam’s control and then add mods to the copy, leaving the steam version completely stock to get updates. KSP has nothing to prevent you from copying it- in fact CKAN has several ways of copying an entire instance of KSP and will happily track different copies of the game, on different game versions and with different sets of mods installed. I have at least 10 different copies of KSP ranging from 1.7.3 to 1.10.1 and with various mods installed- stock copies to clone and add mods to, three different copies with different career saves in them (my first in 1.7.3, a 1.9.1 JNSQ save that I started in 1.8.1 and a 1.9.1 Kerbalism career) and some extra copies which I use for occasional mod testing or for doing forum challenges.

13 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

I'd copy the whole KSP folder, rather than moving it, as Steam "thinks" it as has a KSP installation. And if a new patch is released, I copy my actual game folder back to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program, run the update via Steam, and copy it back to my actual game folder, e.g. C:\KSP. These copy operations are best done using robocopy, if you're not afraid of the command line window (Windows key+R, cmd), but you can do that via the GUI as well.

Oh, and making regular backups, better safe than sorry :) 

That's a good idea. I tried what you suggested and everything is working now. Thank you everyone for your help!! 

9 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Which mod are you trying to install? Some will include their dependencies in the download but others will just list the dependencies and you need to get them yourself. You need to make sure that you copied the folders over correctly or the mod won’t work- just copying the entire folder over after unzipping it is rarely the right thing to do.

CKAN is a great tool if you plan to install a lot of mods as it can do version control (which you can override if you want), automatically install dependencies and check for mod conflicts, however not everything is on CKAN and sometimes the information it has is incorrect. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but it’s much easier than trawling through several different sites to find new mods or updated versions.

I strongly recommend that you copy KSP out of steam’s control and then add mods to the copy, leaving the steam version completely stock to get updates. KSP has nothing to prevent you from copying it- in fact CKAN has several ways of copying an entire instance of KSP and will happily track different copies of the game, on different game versions and with different sets of mods installed. I have at least 10 different copies of KSP ranging from 1.7.3 to 1.10.1 and with various mods installed- stock copies to clone and add mods to, three different copies with different career saves in them (my first in 1.7.3, a 1.9.1 JNSQ save that I started in 1.8.1 and a 1.9.1 Kerbalism career) and some extra copies which I use for occasional mod testing or for doing forum challenges.

I was trying to instal MechJeb but I got everything worked out now. I had CKAN a long time ago. I liked it but it was a bit burdensome for me. I have gotten used to searching on here for the mods that I want to use now. I definitely appreciate your advice :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.