Filling Inventory Slots?

So, I've reached the point where just landing somewhere is no longer satisfactory; I want to start building outposts and hauling gear and such.  And while I have to figure out how to build a ship to carry stuff to the Mun (for example) and then deploy it, I'm seeing something that I'm not quite sure how to deal with.  I've included screen shots so you guys can see what I'm about to talk about.

When I add the SEQ-9 Container to a ship, I can right-click and bring up its inventory.  I can then select a part to add to its inventory; in this case, I added the Go-ob ED Monitor (as a test).  However, when I add the IMiC-800 Container, I can right-click and bring up its inventory...but I can't add any parts to it.  All the boxes are greyed out, and no amount of left or right-clicking on the item or the boxes allows me to change that.

So what am I doing wrong?  Is there a setting I missed that allows the IMiC to have things put inside it?  Is this something that I have to put down on the surface somewhere and then move parts into it there?

RKCtpmR.png

mJTOq10.png

Hi @Popestar

The reason you are having difficulty is because the SEQ containers are parts from the stock inventory system and the IMiC containers are parts from the Kerbal Inventory System "KIS" mod.

I don't believe that the IMiC containers from KIS are capable of accepting the stock ground experiments since they rely on the stock container system only. Also, if I remember correctly, the KIS containers require you to click-and-drag parts into their inventory slots.

@HvP is spot on.

The modmaker already stated in the KIS thread that his intention is to adapt the mod to play along with the new inventory system while maintaining features of the mod not present in the stock game. However it will take some time (people having lives and all) to figure out if and how it can be done.

KIS doesn’t work with the Breaking Ground science modules, to actually deploy one you’d have to drag it out of a KIS inventory and drop it on the ground, then have a Kerbal pick it up and put it in their (stock) inventory, then deploy it again.

I use KIS/KAS for a variety of things and there are some parts that can do both stock and KIS inventory systems, though they seem to be totally separate and so can be filled twice :confused:, but if you’re using KSP 1.11 then you’re probably better off with the stock system as IMO it’s considerably easier to use, the EVA building mode is less prone to causing parts to explode or fly off at ludicrous speeds for no reason than attaching via KIS, and the part mass that Kerbals can handle is much less than with KIShang on...

2 hours ago, Popestar said:

Well, that just means ill be removing KIS from my mods.  If it can't play nice, it won't play at all.

Updates breaking mods is nothing new, players  with modded installs often delay the update to make sure the modmakers had time to adapt. If anything, that time is just KIS (and maybe a few other mods) that is affected. And there is quite a lot for the modmaker (a guy working in his spare time)  ensure that KIS will play nice. It takes time.

Remove KIS for now if you want, but check again after a while because a KIS update may solve all the current issues. In any case, even assuming that KIS will not get any update, sooner or later someone will make a mod with new containers and other stuff that uses the inventory system, and we will get more option to play with (no doubt some player already wrote Module Manager patches or messed with the configs)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.