[WIP] (1.9.1 - 1.12+) TrekDrive - a Star Trek-like Warp Drive by ShadowWorks v0.99.1w NX-Class (10/08/2021)

TheShadow1138

8 minutes ago, TheShadow1138 said:

When in landing mode, and the vessel is sub-orbital, once it's at or below its hoverAlt, vertical thrust is applied to slow the vessel down to 5m/s of vertical speed.  This is done regardless of throttle setting, so yeah pretty much free thrust, but the same is true with the takeoff mode.  Did you use the warp drive to get to the moon, or just the impulse drive?  Right now with the warp drive the NX would be the best choice to get you there in under a second.

That's neat!  If people want to do that with their NX, I'm all for it.

Aha ok that explains the sub-orbital bit nicely , flew there on impluse engines only as its a local planet for local Kerbals .

Been thinking about doing that with the Pod from day one , the fact that MSI works in 1.12.2 helps and its way easier to use than the stock robotics .

2 hours ago, Puggonaut said:

Been thinking about doing that with the Pod from day one , the fact that MSI works in 1.12.2 helps and its way easier to use than the stock robotics .

I was originally going to use the show-accurate shuttle bay, but with the refit hull blocking part of it and making it much more difficult to get the pod to that location that's why I went with what we have.  Your solution is great.  I've never used the stock robotics, or any robotics for that matter, but I've thought that the stock interface looked rather complicated, compared to what I saw in your video.

1 hour ago, TheShadow1138 said:

I was originally going to use the show-accurate shuttle bay, but with the refit hull blocking part of it and making it much more difficult to get the pod to that location that's why I went with what we have.  Your solution is great.  I've never used the stock robotics, or any robotics for that matter, but I've thought that the stock interface looked rather complicated, compared to what I saw in your video.

Honestly the stock Robotics interface sucks......

Yup can fully understand about the ReFit Hull , your solution is quite a good idea and works well enough .

3 hours ago, bjornadri said:

heya, i just noticed what must be a bug. the secondary impulse engines fold in on the ship. doesn't matter if autostrut is activated or not.

In my longest term test ship, I did notice this happening.  I'm not sure what causes it, or how it can be prevented, other than making them integral to the saucer.  This would add yet more to the PAW for the saucer, which is why I'm hesitant to do this.  I was hoping that with "rigidAttachment = true" on all the parts that this wouldn't happen.  When 1.12.1 come out it ruined the ship because of the autostrut bug and the whole thing would flop around like a dead fish.  Setting "rigidAttachment = true" fixed that, but I don't know if that is the source of this issue.

Since the forces are not applied through the engine parts so if the engines are out of alignment it shouldn't affect the ship's operation, it's just going to not look right.  I had chalked it up to something that happens as a result of time warping while the ship is experiencing significant forces.  I'll have a look at it and see if I can figure out what is causing it, or at least a way to keep it from happening.

4 hours ago, TheShadow1138 said:

In my longest term test ship, I did notice this happening.  I'm not sure what causes it, or how it can be prevented, other than making them integral to the saucer.  This would add yet more to the PAW for the saucer, which is why I'm hesitant to do this.  I was hoping that with "rigidAttachment = true" on all the parts that this wouldn't happen.  When 1.12.1 come out it ruined the ship because of the autostrut bug and the whole thing would flop around like a dead fish.  Setting "rigidAttachment = true" fixed that, but I don't know if that is the source of this issue.

Since the forces are not applied through the engine parts so if the engines are out of alignment it shouldn't affect the ship's operation, it's just going to not look right.  I had chalked it up to something that happens as a result of time warping while the ship is experiencing significant forces.  I'll have a look at it and see if I can figure out what is causing it, or at least a way to keep it from happening.

might have something to do with the hitbox? i'll try adding some normal struts in between the saucer and the side of the secondary impulse engines and report back here

edit: added a single normal strut to the inside of the saucer and attached it to the side of the engine in the direction that it folds in. seems to do the trick!

Edited by bjornadri

56 minutes ago, bjornadri said:

might have something to do with the hitbox? i'll try adding some normal struts in between the saucer and the side of the secondary impulse engines and report back here

edit: added a single normal strut to the inside of the saucer and attached it to the side of the engine in the direction that it folds in. seems to do the trick!

I was thinking about the colliders too.  Off the top of my head I don't think the saucer's collider extends to that part of the saucer.  I'll have a look to double check the colliders and maybe add a couple to make sure the struts aren't necessary.  Glad you got a workaround.

Quick Update:  I just wanted to let y'all know that I am still working on this.  I just finished the final console textures for the NX-class bridge IVA.  So, I can get that exported and start parting out the IVA in Unity.  The shuttlepod IVA shouldn't be too difficult, and should go a bit faster than the bridge.  I'll only need to make one console texture, which is where a lot of the time has been spent on the bridge.

No ETA on when this will be ready, but it will be coming.

It's been a while since I posted any pictures, so here are some screenshots of the NX-class Bridge IVA.

From the Captain's Chair
zwOb6f7.png

Looking to the left:
a0Zprib.png

From the Helm:
OKVlyHO.png

Science Station:
gIxBQfr.png

Operations Station:
U08S0UZ.png

Ops (to the right):
udsDZeG.png

Comms Station:
gMCBNOO.png

Looking to the Captain:
9H4r5A6.png

Engineering Station:
CmK5lEB.png

Looking back to the Captain:
I7lZPVP.png

Master Systems Display:
GxbDO3s.png

Aft Table Screen:
2lf0Dj2.png

United Kerbin Starfleet Warp V Project Briefing Start Screen:
Mnv3pCk.png

Looking Towards the Bridge Crew:
pcHllxt.png

Development continues along with testing.  I have identified an issue with the impulse engine module code that is the cause of most, if not all, of the "slumping" of the shuttlepods or NX during takeoff and/or landing.  That has been fixed in the code and will be in the next mod update.

TrekDrive v1.0 Full Release!!!!

v1.0 - Initial Full Release
* Includes:
    * Phoenix Warpship
    * Phoenix Warpship launcher
    * Enterprise-era Shuttlepod
    * NX-class starship
* Added A User's Manual
* Added NX-class Bridge IVA and Props
* Updated warp stars configs so that they are visible in the Bridge IVA
* Updated the plugin to add an ambient rumble sound for the warp core.  The sound is customizable by simply editing the CFGs with SW_ModuleWarpCore to give the path to your desired sound.
* Added ENT-era Shuttlepod IVA (Stock and MAS versions)
* Updated Shuttlepod Impulse engines to have a hover altitude of 1000m
* Added ModuleLiftingBody to the Shuttlepod fuselage improving flight characteristics
* Balanced the RCS and COM of the Shuttlepod removing most if not all unwanted movement during docking or other maneuvers.
* Updated SW_ModuleImpulseEngine to apply Takeoff/Landing forces to every part to provide even acceleration to the entire vessel almost entirely removing the need for RCS or SAS to keep the vessel level during takeoff/landing in atmosphere.

------------------------------------

It really has been a long road getting from there to here, but the time as finally come.  I have reached full v1.0 release.  I have created a new thread in Add-on Releases:  TrekDrive Release Thread.

I will keep this thread open, but most if not all future progress updates will be in the release thread.  Thank you all for your support through the early months of this mod.  The next step is to begin working on the Constitution-class, the next major update for the mod.  Fly safe out there, and may we all go where no Kerbal has gone before.

Edited by TheShadow1138

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, kennyc222 said:

i love this mod...even if i'm not quite a star trek fan....but i have a question, how to speed up antimatter and Deuterium regeneration for Pheonix? 

This took me too long to wait! 

Thanks

Increasing the "collectionRadius" in the SW_ModuleBussardCollector of the Phoenix_WarpNacelle.cfg will help.  This is in units of meters, and is set at 15, but there's no limit on how large this radius can be, at least in my code.  You could also increase "collectorEfficiency" to 1.

There's no other way to speed it up, short of me updating the code of the plugin.

6 hours ago, TheShadow1138 said:

Increasing the "collectionRadius" in the SW_ModuleBussardCollector of the Phoenix_WarpNacelle.cfg will help.  This is in units of meters, and is set at 15, but there's no limit on how large this radius can be, at least in my code.  You could also increase "collectorEfficiency" to 1.

There's no other way to speed it up, short of me updating the code of the plugin.

I did it..i maximized its regeneration, i increase "collectorEfficiency" to 50 while 30 for its range

• 2 months later...
On 12/6/2021 at 12:24 AM, Jackmason said:

i just got the mod and I'm wondering if there's a tutorial or something like that because i don't know to to collect warp  plasma.

There is a User's Manual included in the download.  You don't collect warp plasma, the warp core generates warp plasma from Liquid Deuterium and Antimatter.  To generate warp plasma, activate the PAW on the part which contains the warp core (the saucer of the NX, the NX-Refit engineering hull, the warp core part on the Phoenix, or the engineering hull of the Constitution-class ship) and click the button next to "Warp Core Status" under the "Warp Core Operation" heading to activate the warp core.  Assuming there is plenty of Antimatter and Liquid Deuterium the warp core will begin generating electric charge and warp plasma.

To collect Liquid Deuterium and Antimatter simply activate the Bussard Collector by activating the PAW on the nacelle parts, and under the "Bussard Collector" heading click the toggle next to "Collector status".  This should activate the bussard collectors, but the ship must be moving to collect Liquid Deuterium and Antimatter.

I hope that helps, but if not just let me know.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.