After updating, to most recent version on Steam, all my kerbonauts have max piloting skills, even the non-pilots

I recently updated to version 1.11.1.3066 to try out the new features, and I'm experiencing a weird bug where all of my Kerbals have maxed-out piloting skills.  This applies to all kerbals, even the non-pilots. Non-pilots also have full spacecraft control, even without a probe core or comm-net access.  This happens on all saves, all game, even ones I started years ago. I thought there might be some mod conflict, so I uninstalled all my mods. It didn't help. I verified my files on Steam. That didn't help. I uninstalled KSP entirely, wiped the game folder, reinstalled, and started a new game. That didn't help either.

What is going on? Is this some weird new "feature" I have to disable somehow? For reference, I'm starting Career games, with default gameplay options. I've tried "moderate" and "hard" career saves, and all of them exhibit the same problem.
Thank you in advance!

It seems to be a feature gone wrong. Could be something like an uninitialized game option variable, maybe. I have started multiple fresh career saves on a 1.11.1 test installation and some of them had all SAS modes enabled and some didn't. The only workaround I know is to restrict yourself and ignore the additional modes with probes cores and pilots that shouldn't have them.

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/27169
https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/27162

9 hours ago, stilljester said:

I uninstalled KSP entirely, wiped the game folder, reinstalled, and started a new game. That didn't help either.

I googled a potential fix about your problem, backup first and maybe check if you have steam cloud saving enabled, that brings back unwanted files sometimes.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/180007-i-thought-i-understood-kerbal-experience-settings/

On 11/23/2018 at 9:10 AM, Superfluous J said:

Weird.

I just tried this and it seems to work fine. It even "remembers" what the xps should be based on where the Kerbals have gone, like I expected the setting to do.

BACK UP THE PERSISTENT FILE FIRST :)

Open it up and look for this:

AdvancedParams
		{
			EnableKerbalExperience = False
			ImmediateLevelUp = False
			AllowNegativeCurrency = False
			PressurePartLimits = False
			GPartLimits = False
			GKerbalLimits = False
			KerbalGToleranceMult = 1
			ResourceTransferObeyCrossfeed = False
			ActionGroupsAlways = False
			BuildingImpactDamageMult = 0.05
			PartUpgradesInSandbox = False
			PartUpgradesInCareer = True
			PartUpgradesInMission = False
		}

That first one is what you want. Or the first 2 depending. Just change it/them to True.

Do you have cloud saving enabled on Steam?

Sometimes cloud saving brings back unwanted files/problems even if you reinstall.

As HansAcker said its probably a new bug with the changes they did, if you go to the difficulty settings turn check the option Enable Kerbal Experience.

Edited by Boyster

2 hours ago, Boyster said:

The post you quoted of mine is over 2 years old, so I literally don't remember writing it.

However I can guarantee Steam had nothing to do with it. I never play from Steam unless I'm testing something. Steam says I've played 12.3 hours :D

2 hours ago, Boyster said:

I googled a potential fix about your problem, backup first and maybe check if you have steam cloud saving enabled, that brings back unwanted files sometimes.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/180007-i-thought-i-understood-kerbal-experience-settings/

Sometimes cloud saving brings back unwanted files/problems even if you reinstall.

As HansAcker said its probably a new bug with the changes they did, if you go to the difficulty settings turn check the option Enable Kerbal Experience.

Thanks for looking this up - I checked the "persistent" file, and Enable Kerbal Experience is set to "true."  I'm afraid this must be some bug of the most recent update.  What I don't understand is why it's happening for me, but not for everybody. I check the bug report page and some others have listed it already, so at least they are aware of it...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.