New science part idea: Cameras

So, I'm sure this has been talked about before, but I wasn't able to see any recent posts about it so I thought I would make this.

I've had the idea that some sort of "camera" part should be added to the game for a while now, but I was never able to figure out a good way for it to be implemented. But I think I've figured out something that could work and is unique. The camera would be a science part that would function similar to the other science parts in the game, but would have a few unique features. Firstly, it would come in 2 forms; a static, stationary version that can be mounted anywhere on a vessel, and one that can be on a robotic arm of sorts, similar to the scanning units in breaking ground, where you can more freely adjust the camera's angle. Additionally, there could be an EVA camera that a kerbal could place down.  Second, in addition to taking pictures for all of kerbalkind to see, it can have a use to take actual screenshots, with a choice of just having the normal picture, or showing it through filter that would make it look something like the recent first pictures from Perseverance. Thirdly, since seeing photos and videos of space really gets the public buzzing here in the real world, it could be that, on top of earning science, cameras could also provide a boost in reputation when kerbals get to see pictures from other worlds. I'm not sure exactly how that last part would be implemented, but I think it's a neat idea.

That's my idea for cameras. Thoughts?

14 hours ago, Yellowburn10 said:

So, I'm sure this has been talked about before, but I wasn't able to see any recent posts about it so I thought I would make this.

I've had the idea that some sort of "camera" part should be added to the game for a while now, but I was never able to figure out a good way for it to be implemented. But I think I've figured out something that could work and is unique. The camera would be a science part that would function similar to the other science parts in the game, but would have a few unique features. Firstly, it would come in 2 forms; a static, stationary version that can be mounted anywhere on a vessel, and one that can be on a robotic arm of sorts, similar to the scanning units in breaking ground, where you can more freely adjust the camera's angle. Additionally, there could be an EVA camera that a kerbal could place down.  Second, in addition to taking pictures for all of kerbalkind to see, it can have a use to take actual screenshots, with a choice of just having the normal picture, or showing it through filter that would make it look something like the recent first pictures from Perseverance. Thirdly, since seeing photos and videos of space really gets the public buzzing here in the real world, it could be that, on top of earning science, cameras could also provide a boost in reputation when kerbals get to see pictures from other worlds. I'm not sure exactly how that last part would be implemented, but I think it's a neat idea.

That's my idea for cameras. Thoughts?

I posted this too!

12 hours ago, jastrone said:

i posted a similar idea a while ago and i came up with different camersas with different "filters" coming from how far up in the tech tree they are

1 hour ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

I posted this too!

Guess great minds think alike ;) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.