IVA CSM/LEM Guidance Computer

Serpent03

Hi guys! I've been making a kOS-based, as close as possible AGC/PNGS for KSP. However I felt this was not enough and I think I can try to make an actual IVA-interactable computer with my kOS code as acting as software for it. However I've come to a roadblock here - MAS(MoarDV Avionics System) does not have a tutorial or anything of the sort which can help me do this..

The goal is simple. Use the ROCapsules DSKY as base, change textures and add real functionality to it.

Idea: Log JSON data to a file, and have the lua in MAS read it up, and display it on the AGC/PNGS register displays. Then by interacting with the pushbuttons on the DSKY, send back commands to change VERB/NOUN settings.

Problem: I can't find information on how/where/what is referenced/used for coding the functionality of a button. If any of you have a good source of documentation, please feel free to send it my way.. :)

Edited by Serpent03

12 hours ago, Serpent03 said:

Hi guys! I've been making a kOS-based, as close as possible AGC/PNGS for KSP. However I felt this was not enough and I think I can try to make an actual IVA-interactable computer with my kOS code as acting as software for it. However I've come to a roadblock here - MAS(MoarDV Avionics System) does not have a tutorial or anything of the sort which can help me do this..

The goal is simple. Use the ROCapsules DSKY as base, change textures and add real functionality to it.

Idea: Log JSON data to a file, and have the lua in MAS read it up, and display it on the AGC/PNGS register displays. Then by interacting with the pushbuttons on the DSKY, send back commands to change VERB/NOUN settings.

Problem: I can't find information on how/where/what is referenced/used for coding the functionality of a button. If any of you have a good source of documentation, please feel free to send it my way.. :)

First that test color is hard to read on old eyes and have you looked at 

https://github.com/MOARdV/AvionicsSystems/wiki/Operations-Manual-Mk1

or 

https://github.com/MOARdV/MOARdVPlus/wiki

Oh my, sorry! I didn't realize the color was grayish, I thought it was a bug on my end. Edited to black as needed :)

And yes, I have looked at those two links! However, I could not understand where exactly I have to fiddle around with things. I've found two DSKY folders in KSP: one in ASET, and the other in MAS. To my knowledge the ROCapsules one works on ASET.. is there no way to shift it to MAS?

On 7/13/2021 at 3:15 AM, Serpent03 said:

Oh my, sorry! I didn't realize the color was grayish, I thought it was a bug on my end. Edited to black as needed :)

And yes, I have looked at those two links! However, I could not understand where exactly I have to fiddle around with things. I've found two DSKY folders in KSP: one in ASET, and the other in MAS. To my knowledge the ROCapsules one works on ASET.. is there no way to shift it to MAS?

ASET uses RPM https://github.com/JonnyOThan/RasterPropMonitor but one could put MAS stuff in a pod use to not be that hard  the hard part was where you wanted to put things

On 7/17/2021 at 8:49 AM, Mecripp said:

ASET uses RPM https://github.com/JonnyOThan/RasterPropMonitor but one could put MAS stuff in a pod use to not be that hard  the hard part was where you wanted to put things

Hi! So how would one go about doing this? Also, I saw your telemachus recommendation, but that's not really the way I wish to proceed. I want to output something from the IVA to JSON, have it read by KSP, and then output the result of that to JSON so that the IVA reads it again. In that sense, a fully IVA-controlled realistic DSKY.

7 hours ago, Serpent03 said:

Hi! So how would one go about doing this? Also, I saw your telemachus recommendation, but that's not really the way I wish to proceed. I want to output something from the IVA to JSON, have it read by KSP, and then output the result of that to JSON so that the IVA reads it again. In that sense, a fully IVA-controlled realistic DSKY.

If you have Unity and the ksp parts tools you can add stuff in game im guessing you could put buttons where the lights are and just not have them show up but the buttons would still work but you would have to see how to set the buttons to do what you want

Just now, Mecripp said:

If you have Unity and the ksp parts tools you can add stuff in game im guessing you could put buttons where the lights are and just not have them show up but the buttons would still work but you would have to see how to set the buttons to do what you want

https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases/2017.1.3p1

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/160487-official-parttools/

or

https://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/2019.4.18

and both parts tools or show on that page 

On 7/12/2021 at 10:16 AM, Serpent03 said:

For what it's worth, the ROCapsules DSKY looks like it's the ASET DSKY.

In KSP, props that the player can interact with have colliders on them covering the button or switch that the user clicks in IVA.

The DKSY prop has 14 buttons - the square buttons on the bottom.  The text on those buttons are part of the texture, so you would have to use an alternate texture to change what's displayed on them.

The lamps to the left of the main display are all indicator lamps.  Unless you modify the model to add colliders to them, they are not clickable (I would recommend that you don't try to make them clickable - they're close together, so it'd be easy to hit the wrong one by accident).  The text is defined in the config file, so it's easy to change what they lamps display, as well as what color the backlight for them is.

The numeric display is a MAS Monitor with an 8 character / 5 row display.

The small green bars with text in the middle of the numeric display also have text defined in the config file, so you can change those.  However, the size of the green bars is not changeable (it's part of the model).

For reference, the MAS config file for the prop is in GameData/MOARdV/MAS_ASET/ASET_DSKY/ASET_DSKY.cfg

MAS does not support reading or writing files during play, so it's not going to support reading / writing JSON files.

I have plans to add kOS interop to MAS, but I've had a lot going on in RL, and there are higher priority MAS tasks I need to complete before I implement kOS support.

There may be other MAS-related questions I didn't answer - please feel free to ask.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.