could we have better parafoils

Better in what way? As in having true parafoils that can be guided on descent? Is that what you are trying to suggest? I just want to be sure because I am not certain how that would work logically on a returning spacecraft.

34 minutes ago, Dientus said:

Better in what way? As in having true parafoils that can be guided on descent? Is that what you are trying to suggest? I just want to be sure because I am not certain how that would work logically on a returning spacecraft.

yes, the isa will use a parasol to actually glide to the runway with it's space rider shuttle so it's def possible for small spacecraft as far as we know, what I'm asking for is attachable parafoils on the body of a spaceplane so we can have more forgiveness if we both a reentry and go to far or too flow to reach the runway

2 hours ago, Stratennotblitz said:

yes, the isa will use a parasol to actually glide to the runway with it's space rider shuttle so it's def possible for small spacecraft as far as we know, what I'm asking for is attachable parafoils on the body of a spaceplane so we can have more forgiveness if we both a reentry and go to far or too flow to reach the runway

Ahhh ok. I would still end up sailing mine into the control tower I think :blush2:

Thank you for clarifying.

I'm personally surprised they added parafoils to individual Kerbals, but never added a part dedicated to the same feature. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter too much on how it works, since most of the time you just want to get your parts to the ground. Its also true such a part could easily become OP, relative to all other parachutes, but that's a whole issue in itself.

I also wanted to bring up there was a concept for Gemini to use a parafoil to allow for on-land landings, but ultimately was dropped:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Gemini#Gemini_Paraglider

Its very possible such a feature could of made it into KSP 1, but also got dropped for the same reasons they were in real life haha. 

Regardless having a similar part in KSP 2 would be awesome and support some interesting builds :D

5 hours ago, MKI said:

I'm personally surprised they added parafoils to individual Kerbals, but never added a part dedicated to the same feature. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter too much on how it works, since most of the time you just want to get your parts to the ground. Its also true such a part could easily become OP, relative to all other parachutes, but that's a whole issue in itself.

I also wanted to bring up there was a concept for Gemini to use a parafoil to allow for on-land landings, but ultimately was dropped:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Gemini#Gemini_Paraglider

Its very possible such a feature could of made it into KSP 1, but also got dropped for the same reasons they were in real life haha. 

Regardless having a similar part in KSP 2 would be awesome and support some interesting builds :D

yep was thinking about the gemini regallo? wing