Well that was new, landing an rover at the Mun south pole and ended up driving past an singularity.

magnemoe

I'm doing an sandbox game landing unmanned rovers on all the poles on bodies in KSP as they are very different. 
Eve has and kife edge cliff out from the highland down to the ocean on both poles.
LqhCY5nh.png
Moho has the famous Mohole on the north pole 
NzLcdpCh.png
While the south pole is flat. 
4HJkHlO.png

Minmus north and south poles is flat, but it was some tile glitching on the south pole. 
LH1bcEth.png

Mun north and south poles was flatter than expected, still an badland but other part of the polar region is worse. 
And both was glitched worse than Minmus south pole. 
pjgKhxvh.png

I was on top of the glitch, that to do? Jump down is the only Kerbal thing. 
Well I fell trough the Mun.
Falling 
YZ4kNfPh.png
Just past the singularity 
zP1gxUEh.png
Flight data, 
35DGBkOh.png
Note the 100K g 

Yes gotten higher values with parts who glitched trough the surface, I guess the rover is to large and has to many parts ti get the idiotic high values, still an fun one and one I can recreate.
As this is still travel over land I had to revert to the quicksave before I drove in. 

Why this happened:
Planets and moons in KSP is just an surface mesh, gravity is provided by an point mass or singularity at the core, that is the thing assumed to be at the center of black holes.
As you get closer and closer to the singularity's gravity raises to infinite, so does your velocity, at -185 km I had 2 g, at -191 km it was 13 g, and off the scale at 193 km, radius is 200 km so I was 7 km from the singularity. 
KSP also calculate physic 20 times a second or every 50 millisecond. 
This is important as then you pass the singularity you get an idiotic high acceleration, who will put your next tick far away from the singularity and you fly away. 

Now could you fly trough it, simply launch an very small rocket from an rover and fly trough the glitch, then fly by the singularity at trust :) 
Lets test this. 

Edited by magnemoe

Guest The Doodling Astronaut

I've known this thing for a few years now. From what people in the Kopernicus group of people told me is that it happens when you have different altitudes for each pole. 

though I would be down to start an expedition to document each in more detail.

24 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I've known this thing for a few years now. From what people in the Kopernicus group of people told me is that it happens when you have different altitudes for each pole. 

though I would be down to start an expedition to document each in more detail.

The mesh error, not true for Moho, but the north pole is artificial, can look up the attitude for Mun and Minmus, know Layte poles is flat as in ice shelf. 
Ran into mesh error other places in an old game. 

2 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

i support surface exploration.

I suggest you try the south pole of vall, there's a glitched mountain there i named "kraken maw peak"

Duna and Ike is next, then I get to Jool, Here I get in to Tylo orbit, spitting up into one part to the two outer moons and one to Val and Laythe, majority of the mass is the Tylo landers. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I wanted to test this again, made an new rover with an tiny rocket as in ant, oscar tank, probe and an rtg to fly trough the hole. 
Turned out this was not as repeatable as I thought, its still an collision zone in the hole and I was just lucky enough to slip trough it then I drove the rover into the hole. 

Still I landed on the other bodies. 

Duna north pole has an impressive sunlight on the mountain top effect
2vQyQZCh.png

Glitch at the pole
mfmLlD2h.png

The south pole is also cool, I landed at Duna's poles many years ago then it was an very tall spike of an mountain on an pretty flat terrain.
GDTEfsCh.png

Ike has an pretty flat poles but its an ridge there. 
qCrFma7h.png
And south pole
9Imiy6Nh.png

Dress is a lot like Ike here An small valley next to the north pole
VO5EMbih.png

South pole is much flatter and dark.
GdPITf1h.png

Laythe is an flat ice shelf 
jauB28xh.png
Same with the south pole.
FTAd4e8h.png

Val is diffident, an small but bugged mountain at the north pole. 
RZMkHZmh.png
South pole is on an cliff, a bit hard to see because its in the dark.
bLpZulfh.png

Tylo north pole has an interesting pattern 
zXMkwrCh.png
s9ASiIYh.png
Landed in the dark so not much to see there. 
Same with the south pole.
Ak4QYE3h.png

Bop and things calms down a lot, north pole is flat 
5sTKmZZh.png
South pole has an glitch like on Moho
DFAA3YQh.png

Pol north pole is flat 
JJXH5EJh.png
South pole has an tiny canyon.
7uEr46bh.png

Elloo is flat on both poles. not much to see here. 
wNqina5h.png

16 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Val is diffident, an small but bugged mountain at the north pole. 

South pole is on an cliff, a bit hard to see because its in the dark.

Landed in the dark so not much to see there.

I suggest you increase ambent light to take pictures. It's something I discovered recently, but it's been a huge improvement to taking visible pictures and appreciating shaded landscapes. I finally started liking Bop after I was able to actually see the surface.

On the other hand, other planets look bad with it. Among them Vall and Eeloo.

You can find the option among the graphic settings, and you can change it in-game at any time. I suggest keeping it at 25-30%, it's enough to clearly see around all the time, but not too much that it will unpleasantly saturate colors.

I also take the chance to add some pictures to the gallery, i hope you won't see it as trying to start a competition or hijack your thread

A few better images of Vall south pole (kraken maw peak); at the time I still didn't knew about light amplification, but I still got some good shots

Spoiler

6kLM89U.png

XPGiY3d.png

NNnbWCh.png

ngz7c1Q.png

And this is the north pole of Tekto, from OPM; this impressive spire is several km high, and surrounded by smaller spikes. I named it Barad-Dur; if it doesn't deserve the name, nothing else does

Spoiler

d6zbLka.png

5o18xp3.png

10 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

I suggest you increase ambent light to take pictures. It's something I discovered recently, but it's been a huge improvement to taking visible pictures and appreciating shaded landscapes. I finally started liking Bop after I was able to actually see the surface.

On the other hand, other planets look bad with it. Among them Vall and Eeloo.

You can find the option among the graphic settings, and you can change it in-game at any time. I suggest keeping it at 25-30%, it's enough to clearly see around all the time, but not too much that it will unpleasantly saturate colors.

I also take the chance to add some pictures to the gallery, i hope you won't see it as trying to start a competition or hijack your thread

A few better images of Vall south pole (kraken maw peak); at the time I still didn't knew about light amplification, but I still got some good shots

Hide contents

6kLM89U.png

XPGiY3d.png

NNnbWCh.png

ngz7c1Q.png

And this is the north pole of Tekto, from OPM; this impressive spire is several km high, and surrounded by smaller spikes. I named it Barad-Dur; if it doesn't deserve the name, nothing else does

Hide contents

d6zbLka.png

5o18xp3.png

Good idea about ambient light had not thought about that.

Impressive and a bit like how the Duna poles looked like except the terrain around was more like that on Dress last time I visited, this was before stock wheels. 
Had an mod rover who looked like the Opportunity rover and even had the airbag system for landing, well I overshoot the landing site but was so high the parachute had not fully deployed  then I impacted the mountain side :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.