Will there be voice chat in online servers?

4 hours ago, jastrone said:

i hope there is voice chatt in ksp 2. in ksp 1 multiplayer always felt kind of lonely beause the map is so big. so i hope there will be huge servers with multiple people and some sort of proximiy chat

I feel like KSP 2 having it's own voice chat would only add extra baggage onto the game.

What's more likely is integration with discord. Proximity Chat wouldn't be necessary since communication in space is just as loud no matter where you are.
However, voice chat growing more distorted the further a player is from communications would be interesting, reducing to pure static if there's two player's crafts are outside each other's communication range. Perhaps even latency applied to communication for simulation of limited speed-of-light. For example, communication between Kerbin and the Mun would have a few seconds of noticable latency to it.

3 minutes ago, intelliCom said:

Perhaps even latency applied to communication for simulation of limited speed-of-light. For example, communication between Kerbin and the Mun would have a few seconds of noticable latency to it.

“So, how are you?”

5 years pass

”fine”

18 minutes ago, t_v said:

“So, how are you?”

5 years pass

”fine”

I mean, there could be a configurable cap at 10 seconds, default. If people are going after realism, like RO/RSS does, then they'll configure it to be uncapped.
Of course, 5-year communication would be crazy, but perhaps the communication latency can also be configured. Literally changing the speed of light to something else for faster communication?

So, this value could be set to "1" as a default, meaning exactly x1 the speed of light, while anything higher means the latency goes down. Setting this value to "0" will mean that latency is removed. Anything between 0 and 1 means the speed of light will go slower.

Of course, people don't have to use the discord integration if they don't want to. They likely won't, but this thread is about voice chat in the game itself instead of just using an external tool.

Edited by intelliCom

3 hours ago, intelliCom said:

I mean, there could be a configurable cap at 10 seconds, default. If people are going after realism, like RO/RSS does, then they'll configure it to be uncapped.
Of course, 5-year communication would be crazy, but perhaps the communication latency can also be configured. Literally changing the speed of light to something else for faster communication?

So, this value could be set to "1" as a default, meaning exactly x1 the speed of light, while anything higher means the latency goes down. Setting this value to "0" will mean that latency is removed. Anything between 0 and 1 means the speed of light will go slower.

Of course, people don't have to use the discord integration if they don't want to. They likely won't, but this thread is about voice chat in the game itself instead of just using an external tool.

I feel like in single player there should be an option for unmanned crafts to have to be ordered ahead of time, like for landers and re-entry. For more experienced players I think it would be a lot of fun and provided a decent challenge.

Also thank god the kerbal system isn't to scale, imagine having to wait half an hour for a Jool mission.

I feel like they won't, but if they do, I hope they go all in. Either leave it to external programs exclusively, or have it entirely handled by the game. I've grown weary of offloading key functions of the games off to online servers that aren't yours, and aren't apart of the developer's company directly. I believe everyone should, but maybe I'm just biased, after all, Gamespy's shutdown killed the Wii's online, DS' online, and my favorite games of that era.

For those of you who don't believe me about Gamespy being responsible for the shut down of Nintendo WFC, I believe it to be incredibly improbable to be a coincidence that the Wii and DS online functionality shut down 11 days(May 20th, 2014) before Gamespy went down for good on May 31st, 2014. 

Edited by Missingno200

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Sesshaku said:

I would love if the voice chat ingame followed a push to talk format, and included ingame voice effects to make it sound like a radio comm.

It would also be cool to hear the quindar beeps from Apollo.

Not just sound like radio comms, but like kerbals.  Ok, the kerbal thing should be on a switch that can be shut off.  There is such a thing as too much of a good thing

22 minutes ago, darthgently said:

Ok, the kerbal thing should be on a switch that can be shut off.  There is such a thing as too much of a good thing

Yeah, the backwards, high pitched Spanish would get very annoying quickly. In game comms would be nice, especially for consoles, but there are other options out there.

On 3/1/2022 at 5:51 AM, intelliCom said:

I feel like KSP 2 having it's own voice chat would only add extra baggage onto the game.

Agreed.  These days most people use discord, teamspeak, or whatever.  The scope of KSP2 is already huge and adding voice chat seems like a lot of work/risk that isn't necessary.  Some support allowing a push to talk keypress to be passed to other applications, or creating a good windowed mode seem like better ways to enable communication in multiplayer.

That said, if KSP2 already had these features scoped in early and if they're basically done, I won't complain!

On 3/16/2022 at 3:31 PM, shdwlrd said:

Yeah, the backwards, high pitched Spanish would get very annoying quickly. In game comms would be nice, especially for consoles, but there are other options out there.

Kerbals speak spanish? I am a native speaker and is so distorted I never understood a word. I any case, I prefer a sound effect that makes it like a real radio comm, kerbal like effect would get in the way of the main function of a voice chat, that is, communicating.

About the baggage thing, I really don't think it's like that. Adding voice communication option for private servers is not that complicated, even games like counter strike had it back in the day.

Edited by Sesshaku

11 minutes ago, Sesshaku said:

Kerbals speak spanish?

You caught my error. It's backwards Spanish. If you used chatterer, the modders do the same with English. It's all reversed audio.