Adventures with WildBlueIndustries - Blueshift and Kerbal Flying Saucers

Ooglak Kerman

On the surface at Wal, Rodvis trudged over to check out an anomaly they had detected.

"Well..  ya don't see that one every day.  Not thinking I want to get too close to it.  Wish we had a Sci-5 along.  Probably crawl under it and become a splat though"

Spoiler

Z6LFyWa.png

Back aboard the lander..

"Hey Julred.  You see the video?  You make anything of that?"
"Nay me laddie.  We're likely tae see more odd things way out heer tho.  New orders.  Off tae Tal wit' us"

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

Several hours later after waiting for Tal to move to a more optimal position: 

"Ok Julred, we're all buttoned up and ready to run on over to Tal.  You and Kiwi - referring to their warp engine - ready?"
"Aye laddie.  Lets be gettin' tae it"
"Ok then.  It'll be straight up past warp cutoff of 370KM and then straight to Tal.  threetwoone.. off we go"

Spoiler

K7GscOH.png

"I don't think I'll ever get tired of the sight of that equatorial ridge" mused Rodvis.  "And there's Tal"

In orbit of Tal.  This has to be carefully done on warp power.  The Tal SOI is 139KM  and warp cut-off is 22KM.

Spoiler

vbnX1uZ.png

"Well, krap Julred.  There's just no place level enough to land even with the really low gravity.  I'm gonna lay the ship down on it's side."

Spoiler

FiDVFKQ.png

"Ok.  That worked and we're not sliding.  Let's do that flag thing and snag some science."

"Uhh.. well krap again Julred.  I picked poorly on the site.  We'll never see Wal from here.  Should we move?  20 or 30KM should do it"
"Laddie-laddie-laddie..  What's a poor Scotty tae do.  Let's be a movin'"

"Ok.  best I could do in the dark.  We'll find a better spot when there is some light."

Spoiler

682IaWj.png

Back at the Space Center, scientists and engineers of The Admiralty along with the League Of Smart Technologists have concluded that the alien jump rings found all throughout the system will most likely work across interstellar distances as they do across interplanetary.  What was not understood was why there was not a jump ring in orbit of Kerbin but there were plenty of others that could be moved.  Unfortunately, the only vessel with the unique capabilities to be able to move a jump ring to Kerbin orbit was Jebs survey and mining ship WS-8675309.

Jeb proved resistant to the idea of just handing over a jump ring that he regarded as "his" but Admiralty officials inquired - apropos of nothing - if Jeb and his crew would ever wish to set foot on Kerbin again.  They also indicated willingness of the Admiralty to overlook the "Jebs Hotel Bop" debacle and resolve the outstanding warrants for Jebs arrest so that he could clear up the legal issues that threatened his business empire.

Faced with some stark choices as well as with Bill brandishing his "muckle hammer" and Bob holding a collar attached to heavy cables leading to main warp power, Jeb agreed.

And so, a quick trip out to the Jool system to Bop (fitting) - they snagged the jump ring and headed back to Kerbin.  Odd how you can grab it in the center where there is nothing.

Spoiler

sMgpoJA.png

And drop it off in a 2,000 KM orbit of Kerbin.

Spoiler

YuBK084.png

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

On the surface at Tal, Rodvis was jolted awake by the comms alarm.  New orders.  They were to rendezvous with and refuel from WRS-42 "Life, The Universe, And Everything" and transfer all science and then proceed to Priax to investigate a newly discovered unknown object of interest that was in orbit.

"Hey Julred.." nudging his partner  "Up witcha.  We got orders"
"Aye laddie.  Kiwi has already told me o' it.  Lets be about it"

Quick trip up to orbit to rendezvous with WRS-42 and refuel and drop off the science

Spoiler

JXoun9g.png

Then to Priax to investigate the unknown object

"Well..  how about that.  It's one of those tetrahedron things.  Jeb went and made an orbital hotel from a couple.  Lets call it on in" said Rodvis

Spoiler

MPOA321.png

And new orders to proceed back to Wal and investigate and test the transport capabilities of the alien jump rings that will likely factor heavily in the interstellar push.

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

A quick run back to orbit of Wal and rendezvous with the Wal ring.  Line up, set the destination to the Tekto ring, enter, and.....

Spoiler

UTybwDQ.png

"Whoaa.." exclaimed Rodvis.  "That was wierd.  Felt like I was stretched across the whole system.  You and Kiwi okay?"
"Aye laddie.   Nearly tossed my snacks there, but Kiwi thinks it was fun and can we be doin it again?
"Looks like the Admiralty has other thoughts.  They want us to go land at Slate now.  Sounds like we're proving some concepts for them."

Spoiler

tQu4iZw.png

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

From The Kerbin Admiralty: Interstellar Scout Ship

Building on the lessons learned from operations by the current warp ship fleet, The Admiralty in partnership with WildBlue warp ship design and mixed drink bureau, announces the commissioning of KZAM-11 "Don't Blink" - an interstellar capable fast scout ship that is optimized to reach systems up to 12 light years away from Kerbin.

KZAM-11, shown here on launchpad trials is capable of 7.5C warp for nearly 8 continuous weeks - placing at least 12 star systems in reach.  KZAM-11 and crew will have a primary mission of identifying and cataloging alien jump rings in other star systems as well as performing initial orbital surveys of planets at those systems.

Spoiler

wR9k4cd.png

"Hey Sis" called out Ronbles over the ground support comms "You still on resource shuttling duty?"
Leah checked her rear view cam and there was her brother Ronbles waving from a resource truck behind hers.  "Yeah.  Big load of fusion pellets for the interstellar mission that's about to go.  You?"
"Yep.  Same here.  Plus xenon gas and a smidge of graviolium.  Wonder how long till they roll it on out."

Spoiler

MQ2ZWIh.png

Right on queue, the interstellar scout ship was rolled out to the launch pad and Leah and Ronbles given clearance to fuel the ship

"We're up, bro.  Don't crash into anything."

Spoiler

U1XR5eR.png

It's a tight squeeze, but this has been taken into account with the design.  While the ship will receive a considerable load of fusion pellets, half of that load is slated for the orbital depot where a full load of graviolium will be onboarded.

Spoiler

264TxZJ.png

Fueling complete, Leah and Ronbles back their trucks carefully back down the launch pad and prepare to clear the launch area.

Spoiler

FRDcu2r.png

"Hey big sister, I just may have a line on some of Jebs Orbital Ale after we go off shift"
"Hah..  you're just hoping I'll bring along one of my friends" Leah retorted "I just may know someone.  You bring along a friend and lets double."
"Capital idea sister of mine.  Where DO you come up with these excellent ideas?"
"Pshhthh..  booger brained brother.  Let's clear the area and watch this launch"

"Well.. there they go.  Off to the stars.  Sure hope we get a chance at it"  said Ronbles

Spoiler

kEvzqjk.png

"I think we will, booger brained brother.  Have you had a look at the available pilots roster?  I'd be very surprised if we weren't off on a training mission very soon"
"Hope you're right big stinky sister.  Well.. lets get these trucks back to the depot.  Meet at The Stellaris?  They have Jebs Orbital Ale.  Who ya bringing?"
"Hah!  You'll see"

KZAM-11 "Don't Blink" has cleared the tower and is on its way to orbit on gravatic power.

Spoiler

MNFfgz2.png

Then up to an 800KM AP to wake up the warp drive.  This is a tense moment.  Warp drives are sentient though nobody can explain how this is and must be initially woken to that sentience.  The Eng-5 Scotties are key to this, but they tell no tales. 
The lesson of the tetrahedron ship - where the drive did not wake up - has not been forgotten and allowances are made to achieve a stable orbit in the event the warp drive does not wake and is unable to circularize orbit.

All goes well though, and KZAM-11 rendezvous with the Orbital Resource Station for fueling prior to the Nova Kirbani mission.

Spoiler

5nmd8fF.png

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

"Kerbin control, this is KZAM-11.  We are locked on Nova Kirbani.  Request warp clearance"
"KZAM-11, you  are cleared for unlimited maneuvering.  Fly safe"

Spoiler

paG6VU1.png

"Hey Dotty.  We all ready?" asked Debbo, the Pilot-5 in charge of the mission
"Aye lass.  Scooby says he's ready.  All systems be showin green" responded Eng-5 Dotty
"Scooby..  well, the warp drives were known to have a strange sense of humor regarding the names they chose" thought Debbo
"Ok everyone, we'll be in warp for a bit over a week.  Report if anything seems not right.

8 days into the journey and here is the view of Nova Kirbani A and B.  Nova Kirbani A is the destination.

Spoiler

yr5AcpR.png

And into an orbit of Blalo

Spoiler

YUTmOsm.png

Although the crew was excited to have a good look at Blalo - which is thought to be habitable for Kerbals - Alar is a higher priority at this time.  Due to its size and density, Alar will either deflect or consume most asteroids and other space debris that might otherwise threaten Blalo.  Because of this, it is thought that graviolium concentrations on and around Alar might be substantial.  An orbital survey bears out this supposition.

Spoiler

3oUehZV.png

Alar is destined to become an important source of graviolium in the Nova Kirbani A system.   It is also likely that Alar has a graviolium belt in orbit from splash back of asteroid impacts.

On board KZAM-11 "Don't Blink" in orbit of Alar in the Nova Kirbani A system, the science team called in with a torrent of excited sci-babble and tech blah-blah.  Captain Debbo and 2nd Pilot Coroly shared the normal look of non-comprehension when attempting to communicate with their team of Sci-5's.

"Science..  speak Kerbalish.  What do you have?" asked Debbo
"High probability <blah blah> alien ring <blah blah blah> your plot" came the 'reply'

Debbo checked the plot and sure enough, there was the object that science was probably talking about.  Well.. identifying those rings is right up there with finding sources of graviolium for this mission.
"All hands, prepare for warp operations"

Spoiler

Yxb4te3.png

A short transit later and rendezvous with the object

Spoiler

1tYx3GT.png

"Well done, science" exclaimed Debbo  "That's probably how we're getting home"
<babble babble> <blah blah blah> <incomprehensible science speak> communications <blah blah>

...and on queue, the comm came alive with a signal from Kerbin that the instruments claimed originated from the ring

"KZAM-11 this is KSC.... KZAM-11 this is KSC"
"KSC this is KZAM-11, go ahead" replied Debbo
"You've found a ring then.  Well done.  Continue your survey of the Nova Kirbani system"
"Roger that, KSC.  KZAM-11 out"

Rav: The smallest major and 3rd moon of Blalo in the Nova Kirbani system.  As is expected, no graviolium was detected, but it has an abundance of other necessary resources.  The most interesting feature of this moon is the enormous impact crater - seen here to the left - that covers nearly the entire hemisphere.  As best can be discerned, the science team did not detect a potential alien ring in orbit of Rav.

Spoiler

sNMFsJR.png

Leyn: 2nd moon of Blalo.  It is theorized that most of the surface features of this moon originated from debris thrown up by the massive impact suffered by Blalo about 100 million years ago.  No graviolium has been detected, but again this moon has an abundance of other resources.

Spoiler

EqFUSOa.png

Blalo: The first Kerbin-like exoplanet that was discovered.  It is considered highly likely to host life and is a prime candidate for colonization.  Blalo has a tiny moon - Ito - whose orbit lies within the warp cutoff limit of Blalo.  Ito can just be seen in the picture below as a small dark smudge near the right side of the planet.  Exploration of Ito will have to wait for a later time.

Spoiler

F81YgdT.png

Due to the light of Nova Kirbani-B, much of the planet is never completely dark.
KZAM-11 will spend several days in close orbit of Blalo collecting science before investigating the outer planets of Nova Kirbani-A.

Spoiler

FEdqNRb.png

Valentina was puzzling over the latest orders they received.
"Dump all but the most necessary liquid fuel and oxydizer.  Take on a full load of graviolium and fusion pellets from the Orbital Resource Station. Rendezvous and dock with the recently launched Long Range Relay satellite.  Await further orders"
"Thomus.. what do you make of this?"
"Me lassie.  Be thinkin' it through.  And 'er ya not a-talkin wi' Sweetie and Methusaleh?" respectively referring to their warp drive and the warp sentient sharing head space with Val
"Nova Kirbani!  Via the jump ring" she exclaimed after a few moments.  "But they want us to dump our fuel.  What will power the fuel cells when the panels don't have the juice?"
"Ahh. The Depot hae a bit o' a toy fer us.  A tiny lil' fusion reactor tha' only needs 9 fusion pellets a day.  Still.. we'll be a watchin' our electrical situation"

Spoiler

GpI8jrx.png

"Ah'll stick it in the engineering bay later"

After refuelling and docking with the relay satellite, the expected orders came to rendezvous with Kerbin Ring and transfer to the ring at Alar in orbit of Blalo.

A quick rendezvous and set up to enter the ring..

Spoiler

bLFPFVz.png

"Ok folks.  Show time.  Looks like we're the test case for an interstellar jump with the ring." said Val - a bit nervously
::It will go well Valentina.  Kiwi with Julred and Rodvis says the jump is what you would call.. enjoyable:: said Sweetie
"Thomus.. ready?"
"Aye me lassie.  Let's be a doin' this"

They entered the ring, a moment of serious disorientation and feeling stretched across the galaxy and..  at Nova Kirbani in orbit of Alar

Spoiler

tyiYYfV.png

The mission profile is to circularize at 30,000,000 KM from Nova Kirbani A and set the satellite up and turn it loose.  And so, at 30,000,021 KM

Spoiler

lEEpxC9.png

The Space Center now has a comms relay at Nova Kirbani A.

"Hey Thomus" called out Val "we have new orders.  Rendezvous with the repair and refit station - KR-5 - for upgrades"
"Guud, lassie! I expect they'll upgrade our accomodations an tae capabilities"

A short transit and a rendezvous.

"Ohh..  look.  I see what they're gonna do.  They'll move Sweetie on over to the new ship!  Oh.. we're gonna have so much room!"

Spoiler

VPrP8bU.png

A day of hard work in EVA - even with the help of the robotic arms - and the upgrades are complete.

Spoiler

nQCFAki.png

"Looks like you lost your workshop, Thomus.  But we have so much room and we got another pair of warp coils.  The numbers say we'll do 7.5C.  We can carry enough resources to go to Nova Kirbani and back easily without the ring." observed Val - tiredly.
"Aye me lassie.  Ah never used tae workshop much anyhoo.  Shall we go an' git oursel's moved in?"

Aboard Val and Thomus' warp tanker..

::Valentina.. Valentina..  wake up Valentina...  VALENTINA!!! :: called Sweetie (the warp engine sentient)
"Uhh... what?  Don't shout in my head like that, Sweetie" replied Val
::There is something about to happen.  We are all remembering a thing that will happen.  An ending and a beginning.  Loss and sadness and excitement and learning.::
"Can you be more specific? Any details of what will happen?"
~~Time is different for us, Val.  Past, present, future.  They...  blend.  Specifics are difficult.~~ thought Methusaleh - the warp sentient sharing headspace with Val ~~the nexus appears to be... there~~ a location appearing for Val
"Nova Kirbani?  There's a science mission there and we've hauled several relay satellites to that system now.  Landings are to begin soon and colonization is planned."
~~We all remember that a thing will have happened - all except Scooby~~ referring to the warp drive on the Nova Kirbani science vessel ~~Scooby has no memory of this.  Angelo has been informed.~~

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.