SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

Greetings from Russia.

The first part of the station Odyssey. The second half will be docked later. Joining narrow ends. Launched a monolith.

Øóрð ñõ÷ üþôþò.

(Google translator)

äþтþóрðфøø ò ðûьñþüõ «Kerbal Space Program» vitaliy-astro ýð ïýôõúÑÂ.äþтúðх

0_6c1e3_e8aa9a19_XL.jpg

[more]

0_6c1e0_dc608d30_XL.jpg

0_6c1df_52fa6e76_XL.jpg

0_6c1dd_f35b22dd_XL.jpg

Presenting: Starcastle!

584F65EEE1536B710D656565457D231680458BF1

You can believe that it's named for the progressive rock band if you really want to.

It's currently under construction, all stock parts, assembled over the course of at least 10 launches (I removed some of the older modules to make way for future expansions). Building a station was something I wanted to do from the moment I learned it was possible, but achieving an orbital rendezvous seemed like an impossible task. After a lot of trial, error, (my first core module didn't even have docking ports :P) and one VERY helpful Scott Manley tutorial, I finally got construction underway.

It's currently home to 22 Kerbals. The tug docked at the bottom was de-orbited recently after transferring all of it's monopropellant to the station. The docking truss and solar arrays all have their own RGUs, RCS thrusters and monopropellant supplies, so they can be individually undocked and de-orbited if I get tired of looking at them.

Eventually it'll serve as an orbital refueling station. I plan on adding at least one more big orange tank, but those large payload deliveries are always a bit of a headache.

Eagle-eyed viewers may notice a retracted Gigantor XL on the port side of the cuppola module: there was originally another Gigantor XL on the starboard side, but during my first docking attempt I came in too fast and blew right through it. Here's the aftermath. Bill Kerman celebrated the space program's first orbital rendezvous with a double dose of sedatives.

The ISS

VoxagCV.png?1

I hate to tell you but that's not what the ISS looks like. The MPLM in the .craft file is used twice, on the top and bottom of Node 2. But in reality, there's only one. It's attached to the side of Node 1, opposite of the airlock, and the MPLM is what holds the Cupola.

My current work in progress: Horizon Station

Easy Enough getting the first part up into orbit, but I had the hardest time getting that solar/rcs tank up there, and matching the orbit, and docking... in the end I just used Mechjeb, rocket scientist I am apparently not.

Next up is either the Communications Array, or Extra fuel tanks.. not sure any ideas?

CIPxESS.jpg

I hate to tell you but that's not what the ISS looks like. The MPLM in the .craft file is used twice, on the top and bottom of Node 2. But in reality, there's only one. It's attached to the side of Node 1, opposite of the airlock, and the MPLM is what holds the Cupola.

well, I did build it from looking at Google pictures :(

Don't worry, he's wrong too. The PMM (previously MPLM) is docked opposite the z1 truss, or "underneath" node 1. Node 3 is docked opposite the airlock, and holds the cupola, as well as pma3. Honestly, the best iss reference I've been able to find is this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ISS_configuration_2011-05_en.svg It doesn't show Pirs, and I've never seen micrometeorite shields in front of Zvezda, but otherwise I'm pretty sure it's all correct.

Seriously, no worries. It's nearly impossible to remember where everything is on the iss, only reason I sorta do is cause mine kept wobbling to bits in the middle of construction, so I've restarted at least 4 times now. I'm almost finished with the .21 version though.

well, I did build it from looking at Google pictures :(

Just because you google it, doesn't mean it's accurate.

Here is a picture of the ISS after STS-134 undocked, which was the last shuttle mission, and the last time the ISS has been modified.

Here is a drawing of the modules currently in orbit, and those that are awaiting launch.

Your station is cool and all, I'm not trying to bash it. I just get tired of people letting Google images determine what an accurate ISS is, rather than using pictures from NASA.

My gigantic LKO station, the Leviathan. Currently, 100+ Kerbals are stationed there. It is fully equipped with habitat modules, power generators, cargo holds, a mess hall, a fitness center, a space for return modules which my painfully low framerate prevents me from adding, and a large laboratory, self-sustaining and suspended on girders so that in the event of a catastrophic accident, the connection to the station can be severed and sepratrons are activated, sending the laboratory hurtling off into the infinite void, never to be seen again.

kbXw8sA.jpg

Here's a picture of my first station, in Kerbin orbit. The core and first manned craft (pointing straight up and down in the picture) were actually the first two things I ever docked. I've since built a few more stations but nothing as big nor fancy, just smaller refuelling stations (in orbit of Mün, Minmus, Duna, LKO). Started on a new station today after browsing this thread for inspiration, so thought I'd contribute.

NrtPTrm.jpg

I just finished my second 'proper' station. By proper I mean one that I planned carefully and launched several pieces for rather than a 'out of the box' single/dual launch refuelling station. I kept the part count low on purpose, even with the SSTO docked the whole thing is under 200 parts (192 to be exact).

54zIhTx.jpg

Jl6dfbg.jpg

aQrMN9y.jpg

1 core module with 5 Sr. docking clamps on each end, 1 command module (the one with the cupola), 2 habitat modules, 2 return capsules (on the ends), and two supply modules (fuel, batteries, solar panels). I still have five open Sr. docking ports on the core module, but I don't think my PC would like it if I added more modules onto this station.

This is my current station (in progress).

A bit of a bitch getting the parts together thanks to my low powered laptop. I'm using 4 Jr ports to attach the pieces together, but due to the lag only half of them attach.

Still holds together though.

The approach

screenshot24.png

The ship on the far right is stuck docked atm, working on fixing that.

screenshot30.png