Schrödingers Kerbals

I've put this base on Duna with a 6 Kerbals, including Jeb, Bill and Bob.

Now, when the base gets into physics range, going there from the tracking station or approaching it with another probe, the game freezes and gives a 'Unity crash' screen. 

So, for now, my Kerbals are dead and alive at the same time. They are alive, but the only way to get them back is to kill them (remove the base in tracking station). Schrödingers Kerbals.

Is there a way to save these Kerbals by some kind of 'divine intervention' ie editing some game file?

Consider sharing your log file immediately after the crash. Someone may be able to diagnose the cause of your crash, perhaps a misbehaving or incorrectly installed mod.

If you want to brute-force editing your save file, here's one approach. You'll be editing the Kerbals to place them into a temporary base. I might be forgetting crucial steps so be careful:

1. Most importantly, backup your most recent save file. Save file editing is prone to mistakes so you want to keep a clean unedited copy. You can use any name but I'll refer to it as RESCUE_1.SFS.
  2. Create a temporary "base" in VAB with room for 7 Kerbals. "Launch" it with 1 Kerbal (so you can find the right place in the save file) and just let it sit on the launch pad.
  3. Save RESCUE_2.SFS, find the stranded Kerbals in it, cut them out of the Duna base, paste them into the temporary base.
  4. Load RESCUE_2.SFS.
  5. Recover the temporary base on the launchpad. Make sure your Kerbals are back in your available roster.
  6. Delete your Duna base from the Tracking Station.
  7. Shift control through a few vessels to test that your editing didn't break anything.
  8. If all is good, save RESCUE_3.SFS. This will be a snapshot just after your problem was fixed.
  9. If things go horribly wrong you can reload RESCUE_1.SFS at any time.

Without knowing why that base causes fatal crashes, though, you might see this problem again with other bases and ships.

• 6 months later...
On 4/29/2022 at 5:14 PM, DeadJohn said:

Consider sharing your log file immediately after the crash. Someone may be able to diagnose the cause of your crash, perhaps a misbehaving or incorrectly installed mod.

If you want to brute-force editing your save file, here's one approach. You'll be editing the Kerbals to place them into a temporary base. I might be forgetting crucial steps so be careful:

1. Most importantly, backup your most recent save file. Save file editing is prone to mistakes so you want to keep a clean unedited copy. You can use any name but I'll refer to it as RESCUE_1.SFS.
  2. Create a temporary "base" in VAB with room for 7 Kerbals. "Launch" it with 1 Kerbal (so you can find the right place in the save file) and just let it sit on the launch pad.
  3. Save RESCUE_2.SFS, find the stranded Kerbals in it, cut them out of the Duna base, paste them into the temporary base.
  4. Load RESCUE_2.SFS.
  5. Recover the temporary base on the launchpad. Make sure your Kerbals are back in your available roster.
  6. Delete your Duna base from the Tracking Station.
  7. Shift control through a few vessels to test that your editing didn't break anything.
  8. If all is good, save RESCUE_3.SFS. This will be a snapshot just after your problem was fixed.
  9. If things go horribly wrong you can reload RESCUE_1.SFS at any time.

Without knowing why that base causes fatal crashes, though, you might see this problem again with other bases and ships.

Did it again. Forgot to properly thank you the last time. Thanks a lot, (hopefully not so)DeadJohn!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.