Planet pack suggestions?

Planet Pack Suggestions  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which planet pack do you think I should dp

• KSRSS
    • JNSQ
    • GPP

Yo I'm currently trying to decide what planet pack to use for my first real playthrough since wrapping up Skyhawk Science System, but can't really decide which planet pack to go with.  I enjoy relatively realistic planet packs that are still challenging/fun to explore. I had originally been planning to wait for the Galaxies Unbound home system but it seems like that's still a bit far out from release. Currently I'm mostly torn between JNSQ, GPP, or KSRSS. JNSQ is one I've always wanted to try for a while, either on its own, or mashed together with OPM, but there's a few small issues that keep pushing me off from it - I've heard people say its boring, theres a weird visual bug with Kerbin's shorelines that I don't like, and the big visual mod for it (Ad Astra) seems to have some funky glitches. GPP seems really awesome, and challenging too, but it also definetly seems to be a bit dated (especially I remember some of the planet textures being kinda low res last time I tried), and I'm thinking I should probably just wait cause I remember hearing some rumors about how there might be a revamp at some point. KSRSS is really cool, especially the new Reborn version, but I'm not sure if I should start a playthrough there either because reborn still is in development and I'm not sure if it'd be better to wait for it to be fully released so that all the visuals are as good as they can be (especially cuz it seems like a lot of the outer planet moons still look a tad fuzzy). What do y'all think - which one do you think I should try (of the three, or a completely different one entirely), and do y'all think I'm being a little too harsh with worrying about the visuals as well? Ik its not ever gonna get to real life levels of quality, but sometimes the textures just seem very off-putting to me if they are slightly lower res)

KSRSS 2.5x and JNSQ are excellent and worthy of playing even if you just get to Mun/Moon and stop. Teleport to other bodies to see them. JNSQ is mature while KSRSS Reborn is coming soon, maybe do JNSQ now, and when KSRSS is ready you can reevaluate whether to change. I haven't used GPP and I agree it's dated.

Notable differences between JNSQ and KSRSS:

Main launch site inclination: JNSQ launches at the equator by default and you can fly to Mun/Minmus any time. KSRSS launches from Florida and the Moon orbit is inclined from Earth's equator, so you get daily launch windows for Moon missions. In other words, KSRSS can help you understand more how real flights work, it's a fun challenge, but adds a small extra step to each Moon flight.

Alternate launch sites: JNSQ has developed extra KK bases around the world; you can fly from the KSC runway to other bases that each have a unique look. KSRSS only has 1 KSC; you can use KSC Switcher to teleport it to new launch sites but you can't fly between different airports. IMO this is a big JNSQ advantage *if* you like to explore Kerbin with planes.

On 8/6/2022 at 11:22 PM, CessnaSkyhawk said:

JNSQ is one I've always wanted to try for a while, either on its own, or mashed together with OPM

JNSQ does not work with OPM, so that's not an option.  First off, JNSQ is built to a different scale (OPM is stock size while JNSQ is 1/4 real scale).  And while JNSQ is based on the stock solar system, it also adds several new bodies.  In total there are 30 planets and moons in JNSQ, while stock plus OPM gives a total of 31 (with JNSQ actually having more bodies that you can land on).  So the large number of bodies really makes it unnecessary to add an OPM-like expansion pack.

I've heard people say its boring, theres a weird visual bug with Kerbin's shorelines that I don't like, and the big visual mod for it (Ad Astra) seems to have some funky glitches.

The usual complaint that I hear is that there are too many similar looking "grey" moons, but that's matter of personal opinion.  It doesn't take long to install it, so perhaps you can do so and just take a quick look at the planets to see if you like it or not.  If you find it uninspiring, you can easily uninstall it and try something else.  I don't recall the shoreline issue necessarily being something unique to JNSQ.  I know little about Ad Astra as it is by a thrid party, and I've never used it.

GPP seems really awesome, and challenging too, but it also definetly seems to be a bit dated (especially I remember some of the planet textures being kinda low res last time I tried), and I'm thinking I should probably just wait cause I remember hearing some rumors about how there might be a revamp at some point.

I am planning a revamp of GPP (and GEP).  I've actually completed most of it, but I hit a wall where I just needed to step away from it and take a break.  Once the motivation to continue returns, an updated version will be released.  Unfortunately I have no particular time table for when that will happen.  Hopefully before the year is over, but I make no guarantees.

KSRSS is really cool, especially the new Reborn version, but I'm not sure if I should start a playthrough there either because reborn still is in development and I'm not sure if it'd be better to wait for it to be fully released so that all the visuals are as good as they can be (especially cuz it seems like a lot of the outer planet moons still look a tad fuzzy). 

I've never played KSRSS, but it looks interesting.  Unfortunately right now I don't think you can even download it.  The mod dev is in the process of revamping it, and it's my understanding he has removed the download link until the new version is available.  Based on what I've read, the revamp includes changes to the scale of the system (with 1/4 and 1/9 real scale versions).  No word on when the revamp will be completed.

If you still can't decide, something else you can do is install JNSQ and GPP together.  JNSQ will be the primary system, while GPP can be installed in its secondary mode as a secondary star system.  While JNSQ and GPP are built natively to different scales (JNSQ 1/4 real scale and GPP 1/10 real scale), optional mods are provided to rescale one or the other so they can be played together.  You can either make JNSQ smaller or GPP bigger, depending on what you prefer.  You can even add in GEP if you'd like.  Of course, if the idea of making the long journey to a neighboring star system doesn't appeal to you, then this really isn't an attractive option.

Edited by OhioBob

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.