KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

5 hours ago, p1t1o said:

The requirements you give are quite vague (good keyboard?) and the price range is quite wide, from fairly-decent ($1000) to quite spffingly high-end actually ($2500) so its tough to know what you really want.

That and everybody has a definition for what "..run KSP well..." means. Its should be noted that there is no system that will KSP and not suffer slowdown or crashes if you push it hard enough.

Suffice to say that almost any $1000 laptop these days will "run KSP well", in my opinion, and a $2500 had better run it well or someone ripped you off.

Biggest limiting factor for KSP has got to be the CPU, so keep an eye on that, but you'll have a hard time finding a $2500 laptop that doesn't have a decent CPU...

Ok, I do admit I didn't define "run KSP well".  But what I mean by it is able to run KSP with at least 10 mods (mostly part mods), on the 64-bit version, with at least 40 fps.  It would be preferable for it to be $1,500.  It also has to last for a long time and can't be one of those computers that burns out after a year or so.  

It will support DirectX versions up to and including 12, so you'll be fine. Almost all current GPUs support DX12, but there's been some argument over certain features not being done very well in the hardware.

On 4/18/2016 at 9:40 PM, TwinKerbal said:

Hi guys,

So I am looking at getting a new laptop.  What I want is something that will run KSP well (well, as well as a laptop will), have good wifi card(s), have an SSD, have a good keyboard that won't explode or burn out, and have a bunch of usb ports.  I'm looking at $1,000 to $2,500 for the price range, with nothing else included (although if there is something extra, I won't mind :wink:).  Any recommendations?

Maybe this...

So, that has a desktop top end i7 and 980m video card(similar to a desktop 970).

Also, in terms of CPUs, I am replacing my i3 4170 in my desktop tower(GTX 970 and 16 GB RAM). Reason being that I need to do CPU related renders more often, and that I cannot run XCOM 2 on Ultra,(my video card and RAM far surpass what I've seen to be the real requirements). So, I am looking at 3 CPUs at the moment. I do live near a MIcro Center(Yonkers, NY).

Xeon E3 1241 v3(Hyperthreaded i5 4690k with iGPU removed, almost an i7 4790)($230 at Micro Center)

i7 4790k($290 at Micro Center)

i5 4690k($200 at Micro Center)

All of these options are affordable for me(Micro Center has great prices), and so I would just like recommendations on what to get. I am already somewhat predisposed to the Xeon because of its long term stability while rendering, and being effectively a 4690k turned i7.

35 minutes ago, Elthy said:

Since you can overclock the i5 i would choose that. It will prove way more powerfull in gaming, not sure about rendering performance...

I don't have an overclocking motherboard. Should have said that.

39 minutes ago, Alphasus said:

I don't have an overclocking motherboard. Should have said that.

That seals the deal for the Xeon :) Without overclocking, paying for a K-chip is silly. Besides, Xeon sounds sexy.

33 minutes ago, Camacha said:

That seals the deal for the Xeon :) Without overclocking, paying for a K-chip is silly. Besides, Xeon sounds sexy.

That, and the Xeon Inside sticker. Thanks! I'll make the upgrade likely by the end of either this week or next. Anything else I may need to consider(already using NH-U12S cooler, and have Arctic MX-4)?

3 minutes ago, Alphasus said:

That, and the Xeon Inside sticker. Thanks! I'll make the upgrade likely by the end of either this week or next. Anything else I may need to consider(already using NH-U12S cooler, and have Arctic MX-4)?

Sometimes CPU's are supported by a motherboard, but require an update to function. Be sure to update your BIOS/UEFI before swapping over your CPU if an update is required. That is all I can think of :)

I did realize you mentioned the i7 4790K, not the non-K. Even though you cannot overclock the chip, the K-version does have a significantly higher stock clock. It might be worth spending the extra 60 dollars, as it will gain proportionallymore performance when it comes to rendering. Stability should not be an issue in either chip at stock speeds.

Just now, Camacha said:

Sometimes CPU's are supported by a motherboard, but require an update to function. Be sure to update your BIOS/UEFI before swapping over your CPU if an update is required. That is all I can think of :)

I did realize you mentioned the i7 4790K, not the non-K. Even though you cannot overclock the chip, the K-version does have a significantly higher stock clock. It might be worth spending the extra 60 dollars, as it will gain proportionallymore performance when it comes to rendering. Stability should not be an issue in either chip at stock speeds.

Yeah, I asked because of that clock difference. But is the rendering speed difference hyperthreading or clock speed? I would expect maybe 1/10 more performance proportionally to the Xeon(if clock based), so I will still consider it. Would that same difference occur in video encoding?Also if it matters, I have interest in virtual machines later. Would the i7 hinder that as opposed to the Xeon?

On April 18, 2016 at 10:49 AM, Elthy said:

Its impossible to make FPS predictions since those can varry widely for each craft in different conditions...

I mean, it has about 40 fps on a larger ship (something like a small space cruiser) that is made of about 400 parts.

8 hours ago, Alphasus said:

Yeah, I asked because of that clock difference. But is the rendering speed difference hyperthreading or clock speed? I would expect maybe 1/10 more performance proportionally to the Xeon(if clock based), so I will still consider it. Would that same difference occur in video encoding?Also if it matters, I have interest in virtual machines later. Would the i7 hinder that as opposed to the Xeon?

Single-core performance helps everything, including the rendering and video encoding.

The i7-4790K andi5-4690K are fine for virtualisation. But there are some other Haswell CPUs that lack VT-d, you might want to avoid those.

In general, you could consider a second-hand CPU to save money.

7 minutes ago, cantab said:

Single-core performance helps everything, including the rendering and video encoding.

The i7-4790K andi5-4690K are fine for virtualisation. But there are some other Haswell CPUs that lack VT-d, you might want to avoid those.

In general, you could consider a second-hand CPU to save money.

I quoted micro center prices earlier because they are $50 off newegg prices, and I can ensure their reliability more easily. I also discount the i5 from this now, because the Xeon is an i5 4690k hyper threaded. It's just i7 and Xeon now, and I still lean towards Xeon because of the i7 running hotter(10C according to some sources).

Just wanted to drop by and say thanks to everyone who provided advice on my first build over the last month or two.  I put the thing together a week and a half ago, and everything is working great.  Ended up with a really killer box for a lot less than it would have cost to buy pre-built.  

And this thing is quiet ... PSU and video card fans don't even spin up until temps get up to 60 C or so, which only happens during 3D gaming.  The noisiest part is the old 2TB data drive I reused from my old box.

On April 19, 2016 at 4:20 PM, TwinKerbal said:

I mean, it has about 40 fps on a larger ship (something like a small space cruiser) that is made of about 400 parts.

Also, I have a question about KSP in general.  Does it use all of the cores on your computer or does it use one?

14 minutes ago, TwinKerbal said:

Also, I have a question about KSP in general.  Does it use all of the cores on your computer or does it use one?

It used to be pretty much just one. Now that 1.1 has been release a few hours ago, we will need to re-examine how KSP handles things. In short, we do not know right now.

Testing the pre-release, I found that a single large craft used about 1.5 cores on my i3-6100, up from 1.1 cores on older KSP versions. So it is better multithreaded, but looks like KSP will still be limited by single-core speed.

16 hours ago, cantab said:

Testing the pre-release, I found that a single large craft used about 1.5 cores on my i3-6100, up from 1.1 cores on older KSP versions. So it is better multithreaded, but looks like KSP will still be limited by single-core speed.

I am most curious what multiple craft will do. Even if a task is hard to multi-thread, having multiple craft should allow for that.