Options for increased difficulty/realism, even if they are off by default

It would be nice to have built in options for ullage, limited ignitions, limited throttle depth, RTG decay, boil-off, construction taking time, ect.  These should be off by default and in the difficulty settings.

3 hours ago, DAL59 said:

It would be nice to have built in options for ullage, limited ignitions, limited throttle depth, RTG decay, boil-off, construction taking time, ect.  These should be off by default and in the difficulty settings.

In principle I certainty don't disagree. 

But I do think that for some of them it's just not practical due to the work needed to implement them well enough and the operating  resources needed.

8 hours ago, DAL59 said:

Interesting problem; how would these things factor into futuristic technologies like Daedalus fusion? Does boil-off affect Deuterium and Helium-3? Would such an engine have limited ignitions? Given the control over the fuel pellet fire rate, would there be a limited throttle depth?

Solar pressure affecting craft over time, smooth decrease in atmosphere pressure  instead of sudden disappearance of all drag with varying height of atmosphere depending on solar wind,  uneven gravity over different areas of bodies, solar flares and storms, heliosphere, cosmic rays, income taxes, car jackers, oh wait.  I've wandered again

Edited by darthgently

On 10/2/2022 at 12:03 PM, intelliCom said:

Interesting problem; how would these things factor into futuristic technologies like Daedalus fusion? Does boil-off affect Deuterium and Helium-3? Would such an engine have limited ignitions? Given the control over the fuel pellet fire rate, would there be a limited throttle depth?

As I understand it, the available number of engine ignitions is based on the available amount of spin up fuel (typically hypergolic or monopropellant) available to get the turbines for normal combustion engines spinning to generate enough feed through for normal operation to keep everything moving, like a car starter. So I don't think fusion or fission pellet designs would really have ignition limits so long as electricity is available.

Also, Ill honestly be a bit sad if you can run an orion drive at 1% throttle instead of it having a more set impulse per pellet explosion

Edited by mcwaffles2003

23 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

As I understand it, the available number of engine ignitions is based on the available amount of spin up fuel (typically hypergolic or monopropellant) available to get the turbines for normal combustion engines spinning to generate enough feed through for normal operation to keep everything moving, like a car starter. So I don't think fusion or fission pellet designs would really have ignition limits so long as electricity is available.

Also, Ill honestly be a bit sad if you can run an orion drive at 1% throttle instead of it having a more set impulse per pellet explosion

Throttling the Orion drive should decrease the frequency of explosions, but result in a bumpy ride. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2022 at 6:02 PM, t_v said:

Throttling the Orion drive should decrease the frequency of explosions, but result in a bumpy ride. 

Wouldn't it be just as bumpy just he bumps are less frequent? It's not like the nukes are pushing the pusher plate any differently.

16 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Wouldn't it be just as bumpy just he bumps are less frequent? It's not like the nukes are pushing the pusher plate any differently.

Well, when you calibrate the pusher plate properly, Orion drive ships experience a smooth acceleration. The piston plate should be exerting force on the ship the whole time, and just before it reaches the end of the piston and snaps back, the new bomb pushes it. If you don't detonate a new bomb by that time, the piston reaches the end of its extension and the front of the ship is jerked backwards a few m/s. 

5 minutes ago, t_v said:

Well, when you calibrate the pusher plate properly, Orion drive ships experience a smooth acceleration. The piston plate should be exerting force on the ship the whole time, and just before it reaches the end of the piston and snaps back, the new bomb pushes it. If you don't detonate a new bomb by that time, the piston reaches the end of its extension and the front of the ship is jerked backwards a few m/s. 

I get what you're getting at, I think a dampener could prevent that kind of jostling but I definitely see the logic in what you are pointing out, especially if the plate hits a hard stop at full extension.

Edited by mcwaffles2003