KSP not running on steam

Giving me this error when i try to start ksp through steam, the mods i have installed are:

OPT

OPT reconfig

tweakscale

b9part switch

mechjeb 2

kerbal engineer

A few module managers incl,

666_ModuleManagerWatchDog.dll

ModuleManager.2.8.2.dll

ModuleManager.4.1.4.dll

The game version is 1.11.2 and previously worked with these mods until i installed parallax and now even after removing parallax it still doesnt load on this game version however i've noticed it runs on the recent version

Screenshot-2022-10-29-144454.png 

How come its not running now?

Hello, @shrunknuts

This is a fairly common problem when using mods, such as Parallax, that provides a major overhaul to how Kerbal Space Program performs. Coupled with these mods are Steam features which are now turned on by default that often compounds diagnosing gaming issues such as the one you describe but others that affect KSP and many others. The game issue you're describing is a compound problem - one caused by a mod installation and uninstallation and the other by Steam itself.

Taking care of the Steam issue is where we will start first:

About three (or more) years ago, Steam created a Cloud backup system that users had to opt into. But over time, it became a default setting you now have to opt out of and this causes a lot of headaches for those who like to try out mods and remove them for whatever reason. You remove the mod and the next time you start the game up, the mod is back or - worse case scenario as you've found out - the game will not play. This happens because of a couple of things:

• Each time Steam starts, it checks two things in this order:
    1. The current version of Steam you are running versus the version of Steam available (this is why it may or may not ask you to update your copy of Steam multiple times a day/week).
    2.  Checks what games you have downloaded for updates versus what's showing in their archive as the current version of the game.
  • Once you start the game you want to play, Steam then does this:
    1. Check to see if your local copy  matches the files saved on the Steam Cloud.
    2. If these files do not match, Steam decides there must be something wrong with the local copy of any files identified as critical areas by the game's publisher/programming. And in the case of KSP, that's the GameData folder, Saves folder, and the main KSP folder. Those are the ones where whatever are in (or not in) those folders are synced with the cloud.

What we need to do is to stop this from happening so we can fix your local copy of Kerbal Space Program. What's happening is the Steam Cloud is seeing the files that are missing as "they are supposed to be missing because they are NOT in the Steam Cloud copy" and are deleting them from your local copy. This is one of the shortcomings of the Steam Cloud. Every time the game starts up and shuts down, it copies the files and locations marked as critical. If the file is not there, it records that it must not be essential. When Steam encounters it again, it will remove it. So, we have to turn the Steam Cloud Sync off to fix the problem. Here's how we do it:

In your Steam library list:

Q4BRCnd.png

l2edrjs.png

gk9XsEY.png

Two important notes here -

• Although the text claims it only stores information for "game saves" to make your experience consistent on computers, it saves all data from the core game, to include expansion packs, mods you have installed, ships, or anything else in the game files to the cloud.
  • Until you remove the check mark from the box, it continually stores everything you do from each gaming session. The only way to rid the online archive of the data is to remove the check mark and to log off Steam. (If you are logged into your account and play across several platforms, you will need to log off all platforms to delete your Steam Cloud file for Kerbal Space Program. Otherwise, you will continue to have this problem.

I am one of the many Steam beta testers out there. Yes, this caused a massive headache for me.  :mad: I appreciate what you've gone through. And of course, the Steam help guide is pretty useless. I've learned everything I am sharing here by trial and error.

This will now allow us to solve the second half of your problem - getting Kerbal Space Program to play on your computer. :)

You probably used CKAN to install and remove Parallax. If you did, that's fine. If you did not, that's fine, too. One of the things that every mod does is create artifacts that remain in the persistent file. I also noticed you have two versions of Module Manager in your mods list (you only need one - delete the oldest edition and keep the newest). Anyhow, with the mod you want deleted gone and the Steam Cloud now turned off, we can now begin to fix your copy of Kerbal Space Program.

BEFORE WE BEGIN THIS PROCESS:

Always make a backup copy of your GameData folder and your Saves folder. The steps I am going to take you through should not harm your saved games or ships.TM But remember, this is Steam we are talking about. And Steam has been known to misbehave at times. I am assuming you know how to copy and paste and are using some version of Windows. In the program manager, you can copy and paste a folder just as you would text in a document. I usually keep my backup copies in an online archive - just in case. 

In the first image I shared, do the same thing again to access the menu:

Q4BRCnd.png

TY3pOR0.png

9jul7DM.png

Depending on the speed of your internet connection and if you have the two DLCs, this could be as quick as ten to fifteen minutes or as long as an hour. Once the process is complete, you should be able to launch the game without any problems. And if the game does start up after this, if desired, you can restart the Steam Cloud for the game. Just go back and repeat the first steps and log out of Steam while on your main device/PC. You'll not need to log out of every device to start the Steam Cloud service.

I hope this helps and let me know if there's anything I need to clarify or if there's anything else I can do.

Hello, @shrunknuts

Sure, we can take it to the next level. There's a global setting in Steam but this setting will affect all of your games, not just Kerbal Space Program. And it also sounds like you are still having issues with either Steam not updating OR the Steam Cloud client not stopping the service completely. Either one of those problems can be a serious issue. So, let's check on a couple of things. This is not for those who are timid or shy and you're going to get involved in some serious stuff. Complete each of these steps in order.

1. To force Steam to search for updates to its core files and drivers:

JSAqR0h.png

Heh, yeah, I have been tinkering with one of my other favorite games - so don't hold it against me. But this is about trying to resolve a Steam issue and is not game specific. Follow the on-screen instructions and if an update is downloaded, it will require a restart. Let it do what it needs to do. Also, you might want to try a reboot of your computer, too. Sometimes this will allow the install process to rewrite the win.ini file. Unfortunately, there are some parts of any software update (not just Steam) that require a complete machine reboot before the installation process can be complete.

2. How to change the Steam Cloud global setting (warning -this will impact every game on your system) It can also be reset once we get KSP fixed:

A5fgaoc.png

gXxdAez.png

Before restarting Steam:

Check your Program Manager and make sure Steam is not running in the background memory. If it is, stop all processes and wait about ten minutes before restarting it.

There's one more step and it is highly in-depth and requires a bit more work (you'll get your fingers dirty in the Program Manager). If the two steps do not solve it, let me know.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.