Limited to 1080p on newer hardware?

waslater

I have an fairly new Asus Zephyrus ROG G14 with a Ryzen 9 6900HS CPU and a Radeon RX 6800S  GPU with 8GB of memory.  

I wanted to play at native resolution or at least higher than 1080, but the highest resolution I see in the graphics option is 1920x1080 .  Is this the max I can get or am I missing something?

FWIW, the game seems to run fine, and I get 60-70 fps with all other settings maxed.  It just looks crappy and stretched vertically at this low res.

Edited by waslater
Add playability info

You can enter whatever resolution you want to play on in the settings.json that can be found in:

c:\users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Low\Intercept Games\Kerbal Space Program 2\Global

Change the value for "ScreenResolution" to your desired resolution. With the next start of the game it will use that resolution, just do not change the resolution in the settings afterwards.

I've tried setting it manually in the Settings.json and had no luck.  I've tried a couple things at steam launch options to no avail.

How in the hell do I force a 1680x1050 screen resolution?

I know these screens are old but they're still perfectly serviceable.  The stupid in game clicker only suggests 1200x900 which obviously looks like trash.  In a perfect world it just opens in a nice window and auto sizes to whatever size...but this is killing me.

9 hours ago, skogs said:

I've tried setting it manually in the Settings.json and had no luck.  I've tried a couple things at steam launch options to no avail.

How in the hell do I force a 1680x1050 screen resolution?

I know these screens are old but they're still perfectly serviceable.  The stupid in game clicker only suggests 1200x900 which obviously looks like trash.  In a perfect world it just opens in a nice window and auto sizes to whatever size...but this is killing me.

As I stated in my initial post to this thread: Open the settings.jason and edit the ScreenResolution entry. If you want to see it working I recommend trying also editing "FullScreenMode" and setting that one to "Windowed".

In my case I am currently running a complete custom resolution of 2400x1200 on a 3440x1440 display for the simple reason borderless is not working as intended - whenever I tab out of KSP2 the game minimizes what it should not do. By using a custom windowed resolution I circumvent this issue.

As the window will have borders you want to select a resolution that is smaller than your screen size for it to work best.

As @waslater mentioned above: The ingame settings will not show the true resolution you entered but with testing it out with custom windowed resolutions you will immediately see it working as intended.

Just DO NOT change resolution ingame after changing it this way and I recommend using Notepad++ for editing files like this.

Edited by Hofnaerrchen

Ok while I can't seem to get the program to respect the 1680x1050 screen resolution, telling it windowed and 1650x1010 or so seems to make a correctly sized window.  Not 100% sure if the things in that window are still not getting resized...I'll play with it a little later to do more evaluation.

Making it full screen or borderless full screen and a particular size doesn't seem to function; though maybe it does function and the in game settings thing is just too silly to properly report its own window size.  Settings screen still doesn't show proper resolution...so...yeah.  I think I might have to set ALL of the settings in the json and then copy the file...for the instance I accidentally open the settings panel and it overwrites the correct settings with bs entries.

19 hours ago, waslater said:

I have an fairly new Asus Zephyrus ROG G14 with a Ryzen 9 6900HS CPU and a Radeon RX 6800S  GPU with 8GB of memory.  

I wanted to play at native resolution or at least higher than 1080, but the highest resolution I see in the graphics option is 1920x1080 .  Is this the max I can get or am I missing something?

FWIW, the game seems to run fine, and I get 60-70 fps with all other settings maxed.  It just looks crappy and stretched vertically at this low res.

I've got a 3070 and am running at native 4k chosen from the Esc/Settings/Graphics 'Resolution' tab.  Are you not seeing this in your 'Settings' tab?

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I've got a 3070 and am running at native 4k chosen from the Esc/Settings/Graphics 'Resolution' tab.  Are you not seeing this in your 'Settings' tab?

My guess is there is some very 'helpy' logic deciding what to show people.  It was supposed to be helpful, but ended up just getting in the way and being helpy.  Like me in the kitchen.

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

You are correct, I am not seeing options higher than 1080p in the settings tab.  I was able to set the resolution from the JSON file (and see the improvement in resolution)  but the new resolution did not display in the settings menu GUI. 

1 hour ago, waslater said:

You are correct, I am not seeing options higher than 1080p in the settings tab.  I was able to set the resolution from the JSON file (and see the improvement in resolution)  but the new resolution did not display in the settings menu GUI. 

Weird! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.