Ground vehicles colliding with invisible object and being flung around

GtMatt

• KSP Version 0.1.1.0
  • Windows 11 (22H2 - 10.0. 22621)
  • I7-12700k, 3080Ti, 32GB DDR4-3200, 2TB M.2 SSD. 
  • Expected Behavior - Ground vehicles (Rover of any size, shape or wheel type) can be driven on smooth surface without any collisions and continue without a detour.
  • Observed Behaviour - Even on a super smooth runway, at more than a snails pace, the rover will suddenly act like its hit something, rapidly slow down, and spin around or flip.
  • Replication - Build rover and test on any surface. More likely to happen with higher speeds but irrelevant of smooth surface, vehicle size/mass, or suspension/wheel settings.
  • Fixes / Workarounds (if known..) none known.
  • Mods - none, vanilla game.
  • Any files are available on request.

• 1 month later...

KSP2 0.1.2.0 no mods.

Seeing this in 0.1.2.0. Hit bumps on the streets around the KSC a number of times. Hit one bump in the hills near the KSC at 3 m/s and it flipped my rover end for end - it almost appears the suspension is trying to adjust and making things worse.

I managed to get a rover on Duna, but I struggle to cross long distances without quick saving after every time this bug happens. Basically the following happens over and over again at a reasonably consistent rate: You drive the rover in whatever direction (have tried all directions on the compass) at whatever speed (I've tested in between 1m/s-47m/s) with or without SAS, with or without RCS, whether accelerating, braking or staying idle, and after some time, the vehicle will appear to suddenly and randomly jolt 30° left or right, 9/10 causing in a crash when driving above 15m/s. Luckily I've managed to create a habit of being ready to correct after 15seconds of driving without the bug. Oh yeah, also: the staging is bugged, but that's not the purpose of this video.

• 4 weeks later...