Is my game working correctly?

I purchased and downloaded the .17 version on Wednesday night, but instantly ran into troubles. My "training" only has two modules, neither of them are for beginners like me. My New Game menu doesn't have Career, only Sandbox. Further, when I tried to follow along to a how-to video that was building a basic jet plane, my pieces wouldn't go on the way his did, even though I was sure I was using the same parts. I couldn't get my parts to attach in the same way as his. Yesterday, I ran the Patch.exe to do a Repair, and it said it fixed 500-something files, but I'm sill having issues. Am I doing something wrong?

I've been rotating the parts, and additionally, I've been using the symmetry and snap-to-angle buttons, but the parts just won't line up correctly. For example, in the video I was attempting to follow along with, he has you start by laying some fuel tanks in a line, and then adding more along the side. When I attempt to get the tanks on the side into place, they keep jumping along, and no matter how I move my mouse, I cannot get them into the same place that he does, nor can I get them to snap on "close enough". They typically refuse to snap on straight, preferring angles.

When I attempt to get the tanks on the side into place, they keep jumping along, and no matter how I move my mouse, I cannot get them into the same place that he does, nor can I get them to snap on "close enough". They typically refuse to snap on straight, preferring angles.

Have you rotated the command module so it's pointing along a different axis? That will change how the snap to feature works (or you can turn it off with the C key).

For the record, the video I'm watching, if this forum allows me to post links, is this:

Once he tries to attach engines to the sides, he loses me for my failure to align the parts. By the way, I want to thank you guys for responding and trying to help, if I understood how to give you guys rep boosts, I would, but I can't seem to find anything to clicky for that, either.

This forum's reputation system uses the Star between the 'blog this post' button and warning triangle at the bottom left of each post.

You're looking at around 2:18 in this video?

That craft won't work the same way in the current version as fuel tanks no longer transfer fuel sideways so you'd need to add fuel lines.

On the placement issue it is very close to the joint between two fuel tanks which can cause it to go slightly strange but if you move it back a little you may have better luck. Assuming you're at the same stage he is with nothing else added I'm not sure what the problem is though, usually things going in the wrong direction is caused by nearby obstructions.

Are you placing both with symmetry or one at a time?

Hi Dragonli, about the in-game tutorials, there were some basic ones but they are gone now, you can still see them if you download the 0.16 release from the store though.

When rotating parts, try holding down Shift, it'll make parts move in 5 degree increments.

Hope this helps, and if you need anything else just ask us :)

I'm at 2:02 in the video when I fail. I've spent a considerable amount of time trying to duplicate this, moving my mouse in every conceivable direction, and rotating every which way, and it just won't happen.

At the bottom left of each post, all I see is the warning triangle for reporting posts. I'm using Firefox with NoScript, and I've hit Temporarily Allow All This Page, and still I don't see the star, or even the "Blog this Post". I wonder if it has anything to do with my sheer newness. I've only just registered for this Forum yesterday, and this will be my 5th post. For the moment, I hope you can accept my thanks in lieu of a rep boost.

sal_vager, thanks for relieving my sanity, I'm running the purchased .17 version, and when I tried the Orbit tutorial, the instructor said he assumed I'd done the previous tutorials, which I would have loved to do, but could not find, so I assumed I was missing something.

Dragonli, new users are put into the Curious George category, which is a very crude and basic anti spam system, after 5 posts you will be upgraded to Bottle Rocketeer, when the auto-update script runs that is.

And yeah, those old tutorials will be rewritten for 0.17+, but when that happens I have no idea.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.