[1.0] Figaro Global Navigation Satellite System - Launch a Working GPS System

PakledHostage

Is there a limit to the distance out from a body for the orbit of the GPS satellites? I am wondering if you could set up a solar based cluster to use for interplanetary guidance, which is most likely doing things the very hard way heh. It might be kinda fun to try. hmm I suppose it would be come a SPS (solar posistioning system) eh just a thought. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Not sure what "DB" is, but I'm glad to see you're having fun with it. :)

DB as in Database (I develop for AS400 systems as a living) :) Drawbacks of offices being in europe and Datacenter in North Carolina...

Will this still work if repacked in the 0.20+ method...as in a single folder into GameData with part and plugin subfolder?

It should actually... That's the way I have it installed.

Drawbacks of offices being in europe and Datacenter in North Carolina...

So I'm an accessory to your cyber-slacking? Nice. :)

@KhaosCorp: I will repack it that way when I release the next update. I have one or two things I'd like to add when I get a chance. I'll do the changes and repackaging all at once.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I didn't see it if it was...

Does this still work if a vessel is named with 'GPS' after launch? For example if I launch a multiprobe ship and as each probe is deployed its renamed to 'so and so GPS'

Sorry if this has been asked before, I didn't see it if it was...

Does this still work if a vessel is named with 'GPS' after launch? For example if I launch a multiprobe ship and as each probe is deployed its renamed to 'so and so GPS'

Yes it still works. That is how I do it in the video in the OP of this thread.

You can also change the acronym if you'd rather use something other than 'GPS' for your network. There's an entry in the Q&A on the first page of this thread that explains how to change the setting in the part.cfg file.

Have you ever considered making and all-in-one satellite to go with this? Single part that acts as probe core, has some small solar panels, little rcs system/gas and little antenna, something small that a rocket or even ssto shuttle or spaceplane could carry several at once?

Just a thought, would be kinda cool to have dedicated part, plus it would streamline the elaborate process of setting up a good gps grid.

The idea kinda comes from the little all-in-one satellite that comes with remote tech mod. But even that one is a bit bigger than needs be I think.

@KhaosCorp: It is an interesting idea. I'd need the help of an artist to create the 3D models though. I have no such skills. MrPwner did the 3D model for the Figaro Receiver part that is distributed with this mod. Maybe if someone wants to volunteer?

Also, in at least some of the satellites that make up real-world GNSS systems, the GNSS hardware is only one of many payloads flying aboard a given satellite. For example, the EGNOS, WAAS and GAGAN systems are/will be payloads on geosnchronous satellites that carry other payloads as well.

I'm not sure I quite understand the whole idea of this plugin when you say with this you can "navigate". It all seems a bit vague to me, really. What kind of things can one do with their GPS constellation?

The plugin calculates the position (lat, lon, altitude) of your Figaro receiver, referenced off the distance between the receiver and satellites in known positions in orbit. You need a good constellation to get an accurate position fix. The Figaro receiver also calculates distance and heading to a waypoint you specify.

The point is that navigation information is not "free". It is only possible to accurately know where you are in real time because of technology and infrastructure. Most players ignore that for the sake of game play. Some, however, enjoy the challenge of launching a working GNSS constellation.

this might be a tall order, but would it be an idea to release two versions of FGNSS? A light version for slower computers where you only adjust the name to GPS (or whatever initialism you need) and a 'deluxe' version where you need a transponder, is incorporated with ISA (when it is fully updated) and kethane? Maybe even put up an accuracy adjustment. The further you are, the less accurate.

Like I said, this is a tall order, but maybe an idea for the long term? I also would like a separate part for the gps unit for it to work. Maybe even a combination of parts, like with remote tech.

@Azivegu: I don't think your idea is a tall order at all... I've actually been thinking about implementing something similar. It would make it easier to integrate Figaro GNSS hardware and hardware from other mods into a single satellite. I'd even thought about adding an advanced mode where your satellites would have to pass within view of KSC's tracking station every so often to "update their orbital elements". The big hurdle, as always for me, is that I'm not a 3D modeller. I'd need the help of someone in the mod community to make a part that could be mounted on a satellite.

From what I can see in online images, the business end of real-world GPS satellites is an array of helical antennas. Maybe a part like that, sized for a cube sat body, would be good?

110726-F-GB484-001.jpg

Hello everybody!

PakledHostage has asked me to make an antenna for Figaro.

I'm still quite noob at modelling (and texturing), but so far I've made the model, added some materials and UV-mapped the thing.

The model in it's current state looks like this, hope you like it:

qjycFYn.png

It's based on the antenna on the Block IIR GPS Satellites:

lockheedgpssatellite-7.jpg

Edited by MrPwner

The plugin calculates the position (lat, lon, altitude) of your Figaro receiver, referenced off the distance between the receiver and satellites in known positions in orbit. You need a good constellation to get an accurate position fix. The Figaro receiver also calculates distance and heading to a waypoint you specify.

The point is that navigation information is not "free". It is only possible to accurately know where you are in real time because of technology and infrastructure. Most players ignore that for the sake of game play. Some, however, enjoy the challenge of launching a working GNSS constellation.

Does this mean that, rather than dragging around the path on the maneuver node until it's close to where I want to go, I can plug in any point on Kerbin's surface or in orbit around Kerbin, and it will tell me where to go? Awesome. Though presumably, I can't do this if I'm outside of the orbit of the satellites.

Does this mean that, rather than dragging around the path on the maneuver node until it's close to where I want to go, I can plug in any point on Kerbin's surface or in orbit around Kerbin, and it will tell me where to go? Awesome. Though presumably, I can't do this if I'm outside of the orbit of the satellites.

Basically what he means is he made a real GPS system

Unlike ISA where it makes a map and you automatically know where on the map you are, this uses the same system as the real world, how far to each satellite.

From there it can tell you where to go just like a TomTom.

The model looks great MrPwner, some textures and it will be looking better than the one them scientist dudes are tinkering on.

@Kimberly, if your planning on using this for orbital stuff I suggest double the number of sats in your gps network , and fly them geosync instead of the typically preferred semi-sync orbit. That would be 12 sats per orbital plane, 4 planes per planet, 48 sats total.

Just had a good laugh at post #44 because it made me think of silly things....

could you imagine this mod with the silly TomTom voice tellin ya how to drive your rover =P

BING "turn left at next mun crater, proceed strait 2.68km"BING

BING "you have arrived at your destination"BING

Edited by KhaosCorp

I have 4 in orbit 286000 orbit 90 0 2 at 45 so it looks like an atom receiver says zero sat visible...

You need a lot more than 4 satellites to make a GPS network.

For Kerbin you will need no less than 22 satellites on 4 orbital planes. Its best to fly these semi-sync (for kerbin that 2,868,750 meters). That should give you LoS on 4 sats for 99% of the time.

You need a lot more than 4 satellites to make a GPS network.

For Kerbin you will need no less than 22 satellites on 4 orbital planes. Its best to fly these semi-sync (for kerbin that 2,868,750 meters). That should give you LoS on 4 sats for 99% of the time.

Actually, 16, If accurately positioned, are more than sufficient :) But yea, the more the better.

Actually, 16, If accurately positioned, are more than sufficient :) But yea, the more the better.

I had seen in thread before that 16 was good, and i did get 4 sat LoS almost all the time, but the accuracy seems a bit to wide of a margin. I actually have 24 around Kerbin atm and it works about as good as current military GPS systems as far as location accuracy. I recently hi-jacked the mini satellite from RemoteTech, ripped out the RT functions and made it my dedicated GPSsat (untill the mod gets a proper one that is). I think i can get Eve and Duna with good GPS network in 2 launches each (launches from kerbin that is).

Thank you, KhaosCorp, for your help answering user's questions.

Another thing to be aware of, bigmos, is that your satellites all need to have "GPS" in their name and they must be above the horizon to be visible to the Figaro receiver.

I am currently working on implementing ialdabaoth's suggestion to include an antenna array/transmitter part in the mod package. That part will eliminate the need to name your satellites "GPS" and allow you to have multi-purpose satellites. MrPwner has already made the model and I've done the coding. I'm just testing and waiting for v0.21 of the game to come out before I release it. (It will be backwards compatible for those of you who already have satellite networks.)

Edited by PakledHostage

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.