[1.12.x] Kerbal Alarm Clock v3.13.0.0 (April 10)

TriggerAu

v3.8.2.0 is now out

Available via Github right nowm an trying to automate the upload to spacedock and curse currently (will update when ready), and here's whats been done:

• Another Initialization issue with object line renderer - Thanks JPL
  • Fixed NRE re timewarp in editor and other guard statement - Thanks JPL
  • Adjusted layout for long transfer window lists (Issue #171)
  • Fixed Delete confirmation dialog positioning (Issue #170)

@TriggerAu a little request: is it possible to automatically calculate the proper return window for interplanetary travels? I mean, I plot an Alarm for the next transfer window for Duna and I have at the same moment also an alarm for the return window.

This will be useful for the many of us that plays with Kerbalism or other LS.

I don't know how difficult it would be, I have no expectations, take this more as a suggestion.

Thabks for all your hard work.

@Nansuchao It might be possible to make it work out the next return window after you arrive, but that data isnt in KAC atm.

I think your best bet is to use a Transfer Window calculator (like the Transfer Window Planner mod in my sig, or AlexMuns web site, etc) and then use it to calc the alarms. The TWP mod integrates with KAC to create alarms from your selected burns. See how that goes I think

2 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

@TriggerAu Hi, will updating to 3.8.2.0 delete already saved alarms? 

Thanks for all the hard work :) 

It should have no effect on save files/alarms/settings or anything like that. I'd be remiss not to say take a backup first, but I dont expect any issues

13 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

Yes, I use your beautiful TWP, but was unsure about which thread was more appropriate. :D

Okies :)

Yeah round trip planning/planning is a bit more complex I know. I had dreams once of a calendar style interface based of a set of cached TWP data, but time and priorities changed a bit :P 

22 hours ago, robson1000 said:

When I'm trying set transfer window I'm getting this:

Reveal hidden contents

KSP.log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bulyeqw0zla9hni/KSP.log?dl=0

output_log.txt: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3pwa2buedsqicy4/output_log.txt?dl=0

I made such a DUMB mistake. Will have a new version in a smidge

Bug report about KAC v3.8.3.0 & KSP 1.2.2

EDITED: tests/investigations from fresh & unmodded KSP (only KAC) + providing files for support (logs/savegames/screen captures).

Hi TriggerAu,

Firstly many thanks about KAC, it's very useful tool and really I love it!

However, I have a strange issue when clicking Replace Maneuver Node(s) button (when alarm is triggered just before reaching maneuver node),

I don't know if I'm alone to have this issue.

Issue description: after clicking the button, I can't remove (nor edit) created node. Also the orange gizmo remains displayed on menus, when I quit game (appears in yellow color, as shown in screen captures).

I'm using KSP v1.2.2 build 1622, 64-bit version for Windows, non Steam (bought directly from KSP Store couple of years ago).

This issue is easy to reproduce (the best way is to use "1-Orbiting Kerbin.sfs" savegame, however):

- Orbit Kerbin, any vessel (I use stock Kerbal X spaceship).

- Set a maneuver node anywhere along your orbit (any parameters, it's not important, for example add just few "prograde" dV).

- From KAC, create an alam related to this maneuver node (kill warp, message, 1 minute).

- Now warp and wait... when alarm is triggered and warp killed (1 minute before maneuver node - as expected), click once on Replace Maneuver Node(s) button, from alarm window.

- From map view, now try to delete (or edit) created node: nothing occurs. Now quit game to main menu, from menus, the node remains visible (yellow) - as show in enclosed screen captures (PNGs).

Provided files to help support:

Single ZIP file (with folder structure) containing logs, whole savegame folder (with ship), and 5 PNGs -> here (from Dropbox)

-or-

Folder here (from Dropbox)

Of course, I precise this button isn't vital for me (really I don't need this feature yet) and I've discovered this issue only by chance.

Regards

Dominique

(Sorry about some English mistakes, I'm French and I hate online translators).

Edited by DomiKamu
More precise in issue description

Is it just me or does the "Hide alarm clock when paused" option not do anything?

Regardless of whether it's enabled or disabled, the alarm clock always hides when paused.

I don't know what's even the point of hiding the window at all...

[edit] Seems like the check for this option happens in DrawGUI(), but the code won't even get there when the game is paused because there's another check in the function that calls it, which doesn't account for the setting.

I'm having a little trouble. KAC seems to prefer KER over VOID for node burn calculations, but the KER time seems to be wrong for me, sometimes even saying I don't have the required dV when I do.

edit: Fixed it somewhat; noted that I have to "install" or display the relevant KER stat, even if only temporarily, to get it to work correctly, as I normally use VOID's HUD.

Edited by Spheniscine

Love this mod.  Can't live without it.

Requests for dev:

1.  An alarm for the next time and number of subsequent times the craft passes though this point on the orbit (without respect to coordinates on the body below) - basically an orbital period counter from here (1,2,3,...).

2.  An alarm for closest intercept of active navigation waypoint or grid coordinate on the body below.  Typical problem:  Polar orbit for a contract waiting for the body to rotate below until the waypoint is under the orbital path.  Like an ship intercept alarm, it would figure out what orbit # would be closest approach active waypoint and then set a T minus reminder so Jeb can do that crew report, or plan the descent burn, or whatever.

3.  An alarm for ISRU fuel cap/ore deplete, driling ore cap - could be an additional selection near sci lab full alarm.

If these are already in the current version, I am having trouble finding them.  How do I find them?

I don't think any are in the current version of Kerbal Alarm Clock, @bpiltz, but I'd thought I'd comment on how tough it would be to implement.

10 hours ago, bpiltz said:

1.  An alarm for the next time and number of subsequent times the craft passes though this point on the orbit (without respect to coordinates on the body below) - basically an orbital period counter from here (1,2,3,...).

KAC would need to access orbit information.  Don't know if the stock game has a standard place to access the orbit period, but I think both KER and MechJeb can provide this info to another mod.  You could do this one manually if you have the orbit information from KER, MechJeb, VOID, or Basic Orbit.  Just set up a recurring alarm with the orbital period or a single alarm for a particular number of orbits.

2.  An alarm for closest intercept of active navigation waypoint or grid coordinate on the body below.  Typical problem:  Polar orbit for a contract waiting for the body to rotate below until the waypoint is under the orbital path.  Like an ship intercept alarm, it would figure out what orbit # would be closest approach active waypoint and then set a T minus reminder so Jeb can do that crew report, or plan the descent burn, or whatever.

This one is likely to be mind-bogglingly complex, especially in the general case of an arbitrary orbit and ground point, maybe only possible with very rough finite methods.  Any method that is complete--and a mathematically complete exact solution may not exist--or approaches completeness would spit out a series of minima distances.  Those minima could change in radical ways.

My guess is KAC will never have this.  It's likely not necessary as you can do very rough solutions manually for appropriate orbits, like pure polar ones.

3.  An alarm for ISRU fuel cap/ore deplete, driling ore cap - could be an additional selection near sci lab full alarm.

This one should be possible, again if KAC can access this information from KSP.  Again, if you can get the numbers yourself, you could manually estimate it.

1 hour ago, Jacke said:

[Re: find closest orbit to ground location]

This one is likely to be mind-bogglingly complex, especially in the general case of an arbitrary orbit and ground point, maybe only possible with very rough finite methods.  Any method that is complete--and a mathematically complete exact solution may not exist--or approaches completeness would spit out a series of minima distances.  Those minima could change in radical ways.

KAC basically already does this, but in the opposite way - as launch timer. It would just need to swap "from ground location to target orbit" with "from orbit to target location". Instead of "mind-bogglingly complex" this should be nearly trivial. Adding a UI interface for it is likely going to be more work than computing the timer.

51 minutes ago, jd284 said:

KAC basically already does this, but in the opposite way - as launch timer. It would just need to swap "from ground location to target orbit" with "from orbit to target location". Instead of "mind-bogglingly complex" this should be nearly trivial. Adding a UI interface for it is likely going to be more work than computing the timer.

@bpiltz didn't ask for that.  He talked about setting an alarm for an already orbiting craft to have its closest approach over a given location: "An alarm for closest intercept of active navigation waypoint or grid coordinate on the body below."  If you can change or select the orbit before the overpass, yes the problem is much simpler, as it is for certain fixed orbits like pure equatorial or polar orbits.

Yes, that function would give him the time elapsed until the body has rotated under the orbit, which means the next closest approach would be either then, or up to one orbital period before or after. Presumably he knows the orbital period (or it's easy enough to find out anyway setting a manoeuvre node ), and can put that in the timer advance value. And if none of these are close enough, he can set an alarm for the next possibility using the same function.

Now, asking for automatically doing that on all future revolutions until the end of time isn't really useful. He'll not be very happy to learn that the actual closest approach is 574 years in the future... so at the very least that would need a proximity tolerance, because there's either "close enough" or "not close enough". It doesn't really matter if he could get a little closer 2 years from now. And in any case, computing that would get quite complex for little added benefit.

I'm not saying that you need to change the orbit or anything, and with an equatorial orbit it wouldn't work in any case unless the navigation point is on the equator.

So all that needs to be done is to use the existing function in a new way and you can give bpiltz the information he needs, or at least something close enough.

Re: #2:  I think the algorithm could easily calculate that at the next periodic minimum, orbit n+1 places the closest point on the orbit farther away than any point on orbit n, so the point must be in the most favorable plane on orbit n (+/- x meters from perfect zero); therefore orbit n is the soonest closest approach.  Doesn't need to be aligned perfectly overhead - perfect, here, is the enemy of good enough.

The math can't be much different than calculating 2 ship intercepts in different orbits, as the point on the ground actually traces a circular path (radius 0r...1r depending on latitude) which can be compared to the ship's orbital path.  When is the next closest approach of those two points?  (SCANSat graphs orbital sine waves and overlays it on coordinate maps)

Why request this?  Contract requests to take science obs at some arbitrary point.  Drop a ship into polar orbit and wait some # of orbits until a window for descent to target waypoint, or in-flight science report could be done with minimal DV.  When setting alarm, player types in a t minus fudge factor.

Edited by bpiltz

Is TriggerAu M.I.A.?:unsure:

No reply about my post (17 December 2016, page 84) about possible bug concerning Replace Maneuver Node(s) button, described above.

Anybody else have tried this? (I don't know if I'm alone or not to have this issue).

Have a nice holidays.

Dominique.

On 04/01/2017 at 11:46 AM, TriggerAu said:

Not truly MIA, but I did get a break over teh Christmas period :)

I haven't caught up on my forum reading yet, but will get to it this week

Ok, of course they was holidays, it's normal.

Thanks to have replied, appreciated, and have an happy new year!

Edited by DomiKamu