Boat Parts ~~~0.90~~~ R4.65~~~

InfiniteDice

Which of my in-development projects do you like best and would like to see released?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which of my in-development projects do you like best and would like to see released?

I also can't wait for the battleship, it's supposed to be a lot simpler, right? I understand why the carrier was so modular and complex, but it was very hard for me to try to build with. :( I actually kinda want to build a battleship and make a video of attacking it with skillful weapons while its AAA cannons fire, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to get a ship to spawn on the runway instead of the water? (I know this is a reverse issue to the original problem of getting from the runway to the water. :P I am messing about with a few things and want to spawn on the runway)

Is there a way to get a ship to spawn on the runway instead of the water? (I know this is a reverse issue to the original problem of getting from the runway to the water. :P I am messing about with a few things and want to spawn on the runway)

Just disable the move to water option on the con-tower, or other control part depending on the ship.

Can someone please give me a .craft file for a simple aircraft carrier? I have tried building it myself but it doesn't really fit in the hangar

Try this one - it's my 'mini' class of carrier, which because it's so short suits VTOLs, though the arrestor system does allow regular planes. Not sure if it's the most recent version, and I think it doesn't use other mod parts (there may be some Infernal Robotics or KAS bits), but have a go:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B15B3MQ2F4JTNTBVZ2tZWE1nbWc/view?usp=sharing

For larger carriers, get the Hangar Extender mod - I think it's 0.25 compatible:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65747-0-24-2-Hangar-Extender-v2-0

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually quite surprised that this is really the only KSP boat mod.

Personally, I don't like the war stuff for the ships, but using a carrier as a rescue operation for an Apollo craft is irresistible! However, I think the textures could use a little work. The mod is dated. Still, overall, it's actually really great!

• 2 weeks later...

Repost from ID's homepage forum:

Hi ID, some feedback for you.

Ferram has created the Better Buoyancy mod. This will be a default install for anyone using your parts, I can't see why anyone interested in carriers wouldn't use it.

I'd strongly recommend seeing how it influences how Boat Parts handle in water. While there's no need to make it a dependency, it's a good idea to make it play nice. It's not quite the FAR of hydrodynamics, but Ferram has a solid track record of mod maintenance, so may be worth an alternative config.

P.S. don't forget to put tech node and costs on the carrier deck, that catches me out every time I reinstall Boat Parts.

I just tested out Boat Parts in 0.90 with a few other mods at the same time.

A number of the parts don't show up in the part catalogue - presumably to do with the updated categories.

The float code and water launch still work. Water launches are as hairy and error prone as before.

It isn't particularly compatible with Better Buoyancy - boats that float perfectly with BP list under BB (the bow piece appears to be less buoyant than other hull parts, and all parts generally appear less buoyant in BB than BP).

Launching with KerbinSide (e.g. the Sea Plane Buoy) instead of water launch, launches boats at bottom depth, not sea level. Launching with both selected weirdly worked in some cases, iirc.

FAR's structural failures don't play well with water launch.

Engines were severely nerfed, by FAR and/or 0.90 (removing BB made no difference, a carrier than could do 40m/s was reduced to about 6m/s.

I just tested out Boat Parts in 0.90 with a few other mods at the same time.

It isn't particularly compatible with Better Buoyancy - boats that float perfectly with BP list under BB (the bow piece appears to be less buoyant than other hull parts, and all parts generally appear less buoyant in BB than BP).

Launching with KerbinSide (e.g. the Sea Plane Buoy) instead of water launch, launches boats at bottom depth, not sea level. Launching with both selected weirdly worked in some cases, iirc.

FAR's structural failures don't play well with water launch.

Engines were severely nerfed, by FAR and/or 0.90 (removing BB made no difference, a carrier than could do 40m/s was reduced to about 6m/s.

Thanks for the report, I don't expect much would work as the parts are somewhat made specifically to match my buoyancy code. The engines themselves aren't likely being nerfed but the drag values he's using in the water are stock or close to stock, which will be like molasses on a cool day.