[WIP] THSS - Tri-Hexagonal Structural Strut

Semni

smunisto, I gave two of your requested Octo-adapter parts a shot, though to reduce poly counts out of the insane range into the mildly tolerable levels I've done away with the normal structural style. As a bonus it saves me from the slightly irritating fuel lines connecting 5 attach nodes to the single central Octo lines. But... maybe something can be done about both of these things eventually. I'm not on Semni's level yet I think lol. I made a RCS thruster tank model using various tricks to reduce the poly count way down per-piece while still keeping almost the same style as the usual THSS, but even with that the count would have been upwards of 8000 on this model I think. It's just very complex. Then again, all of the Octo pieces are heavy poly, so maybe it's not really that important.

Results:

GEParts2.jpg

Download just the Octo-Struts.

Download the Goblin Industries THSS pieces I've made so far.

You are amazing! Thanks so much! Being solid adds more realism too(as much a realism is something important in KSP) - it would look strange to hang 1700 power engines/2.5m NERVAS on pieces of struts, taped together by Jebediah's cousin with scotch tape.

Edited by smunisto

No idea if this has been mentioned before (I have no desire to dig through all 11 pages) but there is something seriously wrong with one of the TriHex probe cores. Most likely it is a simple but still rather big error instead of a bug. The biggest of the two TriHex probe cores clearly states it is unmanned but it isn't, there are three Kerbals inside. Their portraits are not showing and you can't EVA/IVA them, but they are there. Only way to see them is either with a mod like CrewManifest or in the mission log after the part is destroyed.

Hmm I'll try the scale = 1 thing, cheers

Just an edit here. Adding "Scale = 1" below the rescalefactor solves this issue. Thanks Hoojiwana

Edited by Sabor

Yes, its unfortunate but true, pretty much any part that previously uses "rescaleFactor" but NOT "scale" is broken (at least for now, they may update the game to fix the issue). It isn't hard to fix though, as long as you have a few minutes to go through all the CFG files.

I'll upload my parts with the fixes sometime tomorrow probably.

All's well. I opened up each Cfg file, pasted Scale = 1 below rescale value with Ctrl+V, then hit Ctrl+S to save, closed, did the next one, took 1 minute to do them all lickity split. I can't live without certain parts packs and this has become one of them

Hey guys, a little update to say I am still alive and working on getting THSS 0.20 compatible. I've just been coming down with a big case of the Family lately so I havn't had much time to work on the mod.

Hokee, I've updated the official THSS release with fixes to the probecore, adds some new parts as well as Bluegobln's parts because they are totally cool and he's a totally cool dude. I know there are a couple of small graphical issues with the parts but they are being worked on.

As for adding nice textures ... yeah, I want to do it but good grief is that going to be a lot of work. We'll see though!

Hokee, I've updated the official THSS release with fixes to the probecore, adds some new parts as well as Bluegobln's parts because they are totally cool and he's a totally cool dude. I know there are a couple of small graphical issues with the parts but they are being worked on.

As for adding nice textures ... yeah, I want to do it but good grief is that going to be a lot of work. We'll see though!

Thanks for the update, That's one mod closer to me playing .20!!, I'm gonna update my mods list thread now.

Can anyone tell me how to edit the texture files included in these?

I wish make some differently colored tanks, especially starting with the GE-08-A Fuel Tank. I'd like to make versions for Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide, Water.

I know how to edit the .cfg, but don't know what I can edit the texture file with.

Replace the .mbm file in the part folder with another generated with PartTools in Unity. Not totally ideal, I'll have to figure out if .mbm files have a great advantage over the other types and see if I cannot use a more commonly readable format.

The part tools in unity has a list in the export settings where you can pick:

- TGA_Compressed

- TGA_Uncompressed

- TGA_Smallest

- MBM

- PNG (Most common and easy to edit)

- Smallest (What is this?)

TGA is an old but workable format. PNG is obviously the most common and most easily editable one if you'd like to make it so. I'm not sure, but it's possible that you might be able to just straight swap to PNG files with the proper names (model000.png) and have it work. It sure would be an easy test, anyway. Obviously if you do so your files are going to be a PNG with like 1x1 or 2x2 pixels of the desired color.

If you can't just straight swap then the image format / name is encoded in the model.mu file and will have to be set on export from Unity to the format to be used. That would obviously require your files to happen. :D

Thanks, I'll have to figure that out...

I need to figure out the part tools anyways, I've been meaning to learn how to do modeling for this game. I used to be really good with milkshape but that was in the quake 2 era, We'll see if I can catch up with 10 years of 3d modelling advances.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.