[WIP] THSS - Tri-Hexagonal Structural Strut

Semni

I've encountered a strange bug where the command pod (the larger trihex one.) is getting anchored in place on the launchpad, and no amount of force, or lack of force can get it to launch, fall, or in any other way move. My launch rocket just "acordians" underneath it.

I've noticed that myself, it seems that there is something quirky with that module that makes it screw up the physics engine at times ( it also hates solar panels ) it'll take a bit of figuring out what is wrong with that thing.

Mek: Yeah, it needs something like a luminosity effect. As soon as I figure out how to I'll get that implemented.

Mek: Yeah, it needs something like a luminosity effect. As soon as I figure out how to I'll get that implemented.

CardBoardBoxProcessor has a tutorial up about doing just that. If you wanted to have it run as a throttle response animation instead, you would simply use FXModuleAnimateThrottle rather than the heat animation module.

MODULE
{
name = FXModuleAnimateThrottle
animationName = colorAnimation
dependOnEngineState = True
responseSpeed = 0.5
}

That is taken directly from the stock Ion config, as an example.

I've gotten one set up quite nicely for my Electric Engines, you can have a look at it on full throttle here, so if you need any help getting it set up just ask.

Semni, I have to say these parts you've made are simply fantastic! I used some structural components to comprise the service core a really compact Mun lander. Very sturdy with a wide footprint, and only 12 tonnes. Thanks again for making these parts!

Gotta ask :) what pack did those legs come from? I like em :D

Semni, could you make a tri-hub that has a 3 or 5-way tunnel that hides the docking ports bases when you plug them in and gives the appearance of allowing movement between different docked parts?

edit: One of the parts that Bluegobln asks for below would also work as a docking nod, a small enclosed tri-hex that hides the internals that's big enough for docking ports.

Edited by WhatsThisButtonDo

Wasnt sure where you check most often, so I am cross-posting.

I have some ideas but of course I won’t be upset if you don’t make any:

- Round versions of all these (same style though)

- Square versions of all these (this has kinda been done, but I like your look best)

- More conversion pieces (tri to square, tri to half meter, tri to offset half meter, tri to offset 2.5 meter, pieces that match with the stock square/rectangle stuff, etc)

- 90 degree angle tri piece (like the big 6 way piece but just a 90 only)

- More 100% enclosed pieces of things (no visible internals, but still tri struts!)

- More of the small size stuff (0.5 meter tri struts) though it might not be necessary to do a half meter version of EVERY piece, that seems like a lot of work lol

I am trying to get into modeling and building parts myself. When I do, the first thing I am releasing will be parts that look good alongside this pack. Maybe if you don’t tackle some of the above, I will try.

*salute* best pack to be found IMO.

Since we're throwing out requests ... :)

- As an interim until texturing is done, can the monopropellant tanks and the monopropellant fuel lines be tinted a shade of yellow, so they're visually distinct from the liquid fuel tanks?

- Maybe an interim size liquid propellant tank. I think the sizes currently available are 90 and 270 or 360, right? A 180 size would fit my needs perfectly without having to use two parts. Not a big deal if it doesn't get done, since I can use two of the smaller tanks.

- Change the parts so the narrow facets of the hexagon have a solid wall, instead of being open. I find those surfaces are perfect for attaching batteries or 24-77 engines, but those parts look funny floating over the empty space.

Semni, I have to say these parts you've made are simply fantastic! I used some structural components to comprise the service core a really compact Mun lander. Very sturdy with a wide footprint, and only 12 tonnes. Thanks again for making these parts!

0kzDAVS.jpg

Anyone know what that engine is?

It's an aerospike, but I cannot remember where I found that.....

In other news, I have tried to build ships with this, and every time I connect the ship to a station, the station starts oscillating and twisting wildly. To make things worse, when I turn up time dilation, well, the ship shatters. Yes, I have tried with and without the super-strong connection cheat active.

Inspired by Jack Wolfe's lander design, I made a one person version. Last night I took it on a shakedown cruise to Minmus:

D1140880_78395867_66001

Made the return flight after docking with an orbiting refueling ship and then using Mun's gravity to head for Kerbin:

D1140880_78395867_66009

A 180-sized fuel tank tri-hex like the one MOARdV requested would be good for longer trips with this lander. And I like his idea for panels on the narrow sides for attaching legs and engines. Semni, I hope these requests are helpful in some way, or at least don't seem ungrateful for what you've already added to KSP.

Edited by WhatsThisButtonDo

Semni, could you make a tri-hub that has a 3 or 5-way tunnel that hides the docking ports bases when you plug them in.

I have considered that, though nothing has quite hit the drawing table yet. As for internal tunnels I do have plans, essentially the scheme works as follows: The Tri-Hex parts will be structural and not contain internal tunnels, the Octostruts do and will contain facility for crew and there is going to be an intermediary Cubestrut system which will not be equipped with fueltanks but contain movement and habitation facilitation tunnels.

Since we're throwing out requests ... :)

- Yes, I will be retinting the fuellines and fueltanks to reflect their contents.

- I may create an interim size tank or rebalance the current tanks, I am not entirely sure.

I have some ideas but of course I won’t be upset if you don’t make any:

- I may be working on a round parts line but that will not be happening any time soon, likely I will pick that up once I am done fleshing out the Tri-Hex parts list.

- More conversion pieces are in the works, generally those come out as I get ideas for how to make them look good.

- A 90 degree angle will be considered, though there are a couple of ways that can go which would necessitate making multiple parts.

- Fully enclosed pieces are considered, they do result in very simple meshes which might make for an attractive set of parts for some time down the line. I'll likely get around to them once I get off my lazy arse and start doing some proper texturing.

- A line of small parts is considered but the stock parts kind of already cover that so again that's not a high priority right now.

Anyway, I'm really glad to hear that you feel that way about my parts man. :) I know I've already told you but feel free to post your work here or in it's own thread on the forum.

In other news, I have tried to build ships with this, and every time I connect the ship to a station, the station starts oscillating and twisting wildly.

This appears to be a docking related bug in the engine, I have managed to do this with fully stock craft as well. If you can narrow the effect down to certain specific parts I will definitely look into it but so far it doesn't seem to be related to any specific mod.

Nice parts! Do you plan to create a ring?

I have no plans for a ring right now, no guarantees that won't change though.

Could do the panels as surface attached parts... instead of two of everything

This ... is an excellent idea. So excellent that I have gone ahead and done it and implemented it. Heck, these were some of the easiest parts to make out of the entire set. So, cheers man! :D

There's something about the larger probe (With built-in MechJeb) that is breaking my MechJeb data file somehow, erasing all my custom window settings when I used it. Then I found out it has some sort of quantum anchoring effect where it can't move, so I can't use it anyways, so that's no problem. Did anyone else use it only to find it screwing with their MechJeb custom windows?

I'd like to suggest a new hub part, like the ones allready available, but all for one type of strut. For example, the triangular strut hub would have 5 nodes. One forward, one back, and three to the sides as if you surface attached the ends of the struts to another strut. Maybe you could make a surface attach part like the "broken docking port" now in the game, that is tailored to fit the end of each type of strut.

@ViAlexis: I haven't noticed a loss of custom window settings, but it is indeed being somehow anchored in place for me as well.

Yeah, I'm aware of these ... well, to put it mildly, quirks. I'm not entirely sure what is going wrong there. I may scrap the part for now until I understand what is going wrong. It seems to be some manner of wierd interaction.

I have noticed this problem showing up in completely unrelated parts and mods so it may be that at some point someone figures out what is going wrong.

There's something about the larger probe (With built-in MechJeb) that is breaking my MechJeb data file somehow, erasing all my custom window settings when I used it. Then I found out it has some sort of quantum anchoring effect where it can't move, so I can't use it anyways, so that's no problem. Did anyone else use it only to find it screwing with their MechJeb custom windows?

personal experience with this one. I ended up deleting the mechjeb part of the .cfg file and attaching an external for mechjeb. Can't remember the name of the mod but it's the one that makes it look like hal from 2001 :)

btw I really do love what your doing with this mod set. please keep up the great work :)

I love the look of that "TriStrutMiniTank" part you posted the screenshot of. But is it just the angle, or are the tanks 'floating' inside it, only connected by their fuel lines? :D

Glad to hear you're including a second version of the hub connector part. I need to try this latest version out!

I experience issues when trying to attach objects to the surface of some of these struts. Particularly on the longer ones, it's almost as if the collision model uses a capsule that doesn't match the shape of the trusses. For instance, when I try to put RCS thrusters on them, they're all over the place, but never on the surface of the actual truss model, or angled strangely.

I experience issues when trying to attach objects to the surface of some of these struts. Particularly on the longer ones, it's almost as if the collision model uses a capsule that doesn't match the shape of the trusses. For instance, when I try to put RCS thrusters on them, they're all over the place, but never on the surface of the actual truss model, or angled strangely.
This is because of collision meshes being different than the model. If you use a really complex collision mesh it can add a lot of load on an already heavily taxed CPU. However, adding polygons (which is what this mod does instead of using heavy textures) is mostly landing on the GPU I believe. So basically you have a situation where the models are higher detailed, but it is not a good idea to use nearly that complex a model for the collision, so you end up with a basic bounding box instead.

For the extremes of quality, every one of these models could be made with a customized collision mesh to make the collisions work flawlessly like you'd expect. That would be a lot of extra work though, quite a lot. :|

If there are specific pieces that are busted, rather than all pieces of a certain type behaving the same way, that's probably a bug worth looking at though! :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the trusses would need a collision mesh that is 24 triangles. 2 for each rectangular side, plus 6 for each "triangular" side. It will be a convex shape, without holes. Hardly complex. In fact, dead simple in comparison to the actual mesh being rendered.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.