[WIP] THSS - Tri-Hexagonal Structural Strut

Semni

I really like this pack too, but it's obviously not complete and it seems unlikely to ever be completed. So this might give someone the impetus to just make a better version.

I've never modeled before, but I'm going to give it a go. So far, I've got the modeling learning under weigh. Still trying to figure out how to do UV Maps. After that, I'll wrestle it into Part Tools and see if I can figure that out.

So far I've modeled two parts. A basic 1m struss and side attachable fuel tank. I'm planning on also making side attachable batteries and solar panels, but one step at a time and I'll try not to get ahead of myself. Here are some pictures of what I've go so far. Very rough and I'll probably redo it a few times (as a learning experience as well as to improve it) before I move onto additional models.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by noonespecial

I've never modeled before, but I'm going to give it a go. So far, I've got the modeling learning under weigh. Still trying to figure out how to do UV Maps. After that, I'll wrestle it into Part Tools and see if I can figure that out.

So far I've modeled two parts. A basic 1m struss and side attachable fuel tank. I'm planning on also making side attachable batteries and solar panels, but one step at a time and I'll try not to get ahead of myself. Here are some pictures of what I've go so far. Very rough and I'll probably redo it a few times (as a learning experience as well as to improve it) before I move onto additional models.

http://imgur.com/a/vCTWP

Hey, that's great to see someone is working on a redux! :) Good luck!

Those look really great. These parts are probably a good way to start out with modelling, they have a very well defined framework.

If you have problems with UV maps you might want to get rid of those indentations along the ends, those kind of little details are always the biggest problem for me with UVs. You can probably make a pretty good approximation of them using just textures and normal maps.

http://imgur.com/a/vCTWP

Can I suggest you make a separate thread for it? And then leave a link to that thread here.

So I'm not the only one working on this; though that looks a lot more intricate.

lQWNvih.jpg

Textures are highly undeveloped

I've released a standards document, lots of info here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/29149-HexCans-Standardized-Resource-Canisters-20-Ready?p=1223072&viewfull=1#post1223072

Noonespecial, the only concise comment I can make about yours is that you have a bunch of circular bits which all have a lot of faces on them and are also small, You could reduce these significantly without it being apparent in game, I'd suggest you try 6-9 faces, but 4 would also be workable and once smoothing is applied a square looks decently round from the side. 3 sides would be the absolute cheapest but it's a lot harder for triangles to look round. I'd say for the struts between the trihex and the connectors for radial modules go with 6-9, but for the small pipes go with 3

Edited by Greys

As suggested, I created a new thread. I would be honored if Biotronics and Greys would join me in a discussion on the thread so we can discuss a potential collaboration. If not a collaboration, at least a coordination so that our different projects might work together. Three minds are better than one :D

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84178-WIP-THSS-Tri-Hexigonal-Structural-Struss-Reborn

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.