[WIP] THSS - Tri-Hexagonal Structural Strut

Semni

I wonder what that says off to his right... I bet it's Russian for.... 'Don't look down'.

(yeah I know, that's not really what it says....)

Yes, it's in russian. It says "Honey". I don't really want to know why the hell is it there.

It is an abbreviation for something, if not it means honey. :D

Oh in case they get hungry during the trip over to the Discovery they can pop open a panel behind that sign, take out a jar of honey, pop open their helmet real quick and squirt some in their mouth?

Is this dead? I'd really like to use this mod but for one it's not updated and for another the orange is FAR to bright and saturated for my taste.

I found this image from FUSTEK Station parts using these struts but the orange is more like a rust orange.

http://i.imgur.com/sDGNRV1.jpg

I'd change it myself but for the life of me I don't know what to do with .mbm files.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'd change it myself but for the life of me I don't know what to do with .mbm files.

Any help would be appreciated.

I haven't checked personally, but my understanding was that we can't just slap textures on these models because the models lack UV-mapping.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there still ongoing development of this mod? Because i just love this mod!

Question; is there a modder out there who wants to adapt the round docking plate to give a small graphical arrow on the sides? So to see on which side u have point the plate... The current one is quite confusing as hell,

because when i try to dock to them, i always end up on the wrong side of the round docking plate, which is quite frustrating as you have to go back and figure out how to mount it properly, taking up alot of time :S

If there's someone who could do this, i can provide a sample picture later to show what is wanted...

Nevermind, i just found out what i was doing wrong with them... So the question isn't relevant anymore :)

Anyways, i would love if this mod would be continue'd for ongoing development... Its brilliant and has endless possibillities! It still works for the 0.23 update so its still relevant... :)

Edited by renejant
Question not relevant anymore...

Um.. This should be called Tri-Hexagonal Structural Truss. Struts are the small rods that stop a truss (and other things) from twisting and bending out of shape.

I've noticed a tendency for KSP players to mix those two up. It makes it twice as hard looking for mods and gameplay solutions.

NoMrBond, I didn't expect anyone to take this seriously.

On your previous post though I'll just say that while I really like those parts, they do seem to have too many triangles for my liking. Ideally I'd like to see someone take the idea, and make low poly equivalents with normal maps for detailing the I-Beam indentations for example.

NoMrBond, I didn't expect anyone to take this seriously.

On your previous post though I'll just say that while I really like those parts, they do seem to have too many triangles for my liking. Ideally I'd like to see someone take the idea, and make low poly equivalents with normal maps for detailing the I-Beam indentations for example.

I'm more concerned with the lack of decent material and texture support.

Unless your computer is older than 15 years or so, polys aren't really an issue.

• 1 month later...
Eskandare, if you're using KJR, pull it. it's not needed for normal KSP now, only for RSS.

This. If you're using KJR then either update it (it still has some tweaks it can apply) or remove it entirely (its main purpose has been integrated into stock KSP). I had a problem with the grey fuel tanks not sticking to anything after the update, updating KJR resolved it. Though the large rokomax (sp?) decoupler still requires extensive strutting to keep it from misbehaving.

I am unable to get the THSS-201 (long) to properly stick to anything. I have updated KJR and everything else works fine is this an existing problem with that truss? When I put any number of the THSS-201(short) together they work fine it just seems to be the longer one that always fails on me.

I have the same problem with the 201. In the VAB all is well, but as soon as I got to launch all contacts stop sticking and they fall off.

Not sure of the underlying coding so not sure what a fix would be but I would help anyone willing to give it a try

Alacrity

• 2 weeks later...

I came here to report an issue, but it seems it's not just me :P

For me, all is well up until I try to dock, whereupon the whole thing just disintegrates... It's as if the act of docking removes the physics from the truss:

SS_04-17-2014_16-17-20.png

At first I assumed I'd docked too quickly and broken it, but that screenshot was taken after I added struts to the joints and docked at .3m/s... As you can see it's not like it's broken, rather the joints have just been erased, allowing everything to just float away.

If anyone has a fix or workaround for this it'd be much apreesh.

I have the same problem with the 201. In the VAB all is well, but as soon as I got to launch all contacts stop sticking and they fall off.

Not sure of the underlying coding so not sure what a fix would be but I would help anyone willing to give it a try

Alacrity

There's no coding. It's a parts pack. Not a plugin.

Edit: Well I guess one might consider the part config file 'coding' but that's not correct. Whatever. I just took a look at the part.cfg file for the 201.

AND OH. MY. GOD.

No damned WONDER it's coming apart.

To rehash: In 0.23.5 attach node size now determines connection strength. Just as parts have breakingForce and breakingTorque, attachment nodes cause the creation of attachment joints which also have similar properties: breakForce and breakTorque. You cannot set those, they are created automagically based on attach node size.

And the 201 has attachment nodes of size -1. So it's not just that it has no strength. It has NEGATIVE strength. It might hold together when you first spawn (launch) it but when you dock it, the game likely goes through every part and resets its joints, gets to the 201 and..... instant unplanned disassembly event.

Solution:

In your GameData folder, create a THSS_Tweaks folder. (name it whatever you want, just make a folder dedicated to THSS Module Manager tweaks because eventually more THSS tweaks are likely going to be needed so let's consolidate them)

Create a file in there named THSS.201.tweak.cfg

Edit that file and insert the following code in it.

@PART[TriStrutDouble]
{
!node_stack_top01
!node_stack_bottom

node_stack_top01 = 0.0, 1.491, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.491, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
}

I may release another fix in the near future that supersedes this

Edited by Starwaster

There's no coding. It's a parts pack. Not a plugin.

Edit: Well I guess one might consider the part config file 'coding' but that's not correct. Whatever. I just took a look at the part.cfg file for the 201.

AND OH. MY. GOD.

No damned WONDER it's coming apart.

To rehash: In 0.23.5 attach node size now determines connection strength. Just as parts have breakingForce and breakingTorque, attachment nodes cause the creation of attachment joints which also have similar properties: breakForce and breakTorque. You cannot set those, they are created automagically based on attach node size.

And the 201 has attachment nodes of size -1. So it's not just that it has no strength. It has NEGATIVE strength. It might hold together when you first spawn (launch) it but when you dock it, the game likely goes through every part and resets its joints, gets to the 201 and..... instant unplanned disassembly event.

Solution:

In your GameData folder, create a THSS_Tweaks folder. (name it whatever you want, just make a folder dedicated to THSS Module Manager tweaks because eventually more THSS tweaks are likely going to be needed so let's consolidate them)

Create a file in there named THSS.201.tweak.cfg

Edit that file and insert the following code in it.

!node_stack_top01
!node_stack_bottom

node_stack_top01 = 0.0, 1.491, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.491, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

I may release another fix in the near future that supersedes this

You're a genius, nicely done!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.