[WIP] THSS - Tri-Hexagonal Structural Strut

Semni

They're meant to be panels that you simply place on the appropriate pieces where you want them, rather than having pre-paneled parts. This way gives you more control over the placement of those panels, but it does increase part count....

Ah! Sorry. I'm still adjusting to the new update and tend to assume anything different is because I messed up in re-installing the mods. :-)

Thanks for the kind reply.

Late night goodies again!

Thanks again to Lack for contributing his piece sizes. They weren't exactly what I thought, so it would have taken me some time without!

If there is a desire for more pieces, I can probably throw them together pretty quick. Try to make it with these and existing adapters from both kits, but if it just can't work let me know and I'll make another. :cool:

Goblin Enterprises - THSS / LLL Adapters!

GE_300s.jpg

I was wondering if i can make my own Kethane tanks based on the octo-ones, but i suck so much that i can't even find the texture files to recolor the tanks from orange to green :D

Thanks so much for the LLL adapters!

Late night goodies again!

Thank you very much for these, like the user above I use both sets, and this conversion kit is going to make my life a whole lot easier...

My only problem now is do I de-orbit the new station I building or not :P - hmm maybe I wait till I going to build the station above the Mun :).

I am loving this set. However, I just noticed that there is no Tri-Hex to Octagonal strut adapters so I can seamlessly connect any of the tri-hex pieces to the octagonal pieces like the huge cargo containers or fuel tanks.

I'd really like to see more stuff from you, man. I haven't made a ship that didn't use some of these pieces since I installed the pack and I was disappointed to see this is all you have made right now. :cool:

Edited by TheCoolSideofthePillow

up until after the .20 update I was using an older version of these parts and loving them! I had no idea they had been taken so far this is great! I want to share a project I recently orbited that uses them quite heavily.

RDrJPKf.png

and one I did with the older version of the struts

bCoCCs7.png

These are awesome parts you guys. I still haven't gotten to use all the new parts you've made either! I LOVE ME SOME TRI STRUTS.

I was wondering if i can make my own Kethane tanks based on the octo-ones, but i suck so much that i can't even find the texture files to recolor the tanks from orange to green :D

Thanks so much for the LLL adapters!

It's pretty easy, simply replace the model000.mbm file with a model000.mbm file of your own creation that is green, I can give you a solid green one if you'd like. HOWEVER! this will change the 3 orange fuel lines from orange to green as well, which may look odd when used together with other parts.

up until after the .20 update I was using an older version of these parts and loving them! I had no idea they had been taken so far this is great! I want to share a project I recently orbited that uses them quite heavily.

What part did you use to create what looks like railings next to where the Kerbal is standing?

I don't know why, but after re-installing the game using the same download of this I got the other day, I am missing a bunch of stuff from it. It's there in the right location, and the debug menu shows them loaded in the data base, but I am not seeing some of the parts in the tabs. Specifically the octo-tri splitters are just gone for some reason. I really need them right now, too...

EDIT: I think maybe the zip is corrupt or something. I just kept unzipping it and reloading the part configs until the missing pieces came back. Is this the problem with the Spaceport I keep hearing about?

Edited by TheCoolSideofthePillow

Hey guys, little update, the next version is coming along nicely, got some RCS tanks for the octostruts and a smaller hab module as well as improving the geometry on the humongous hab. The fuel line issue is a texturing gaff I ran into, rather than delaying the .20 compatible update I decided to release with it. In the next update they will be fixed.

CooSide, here's a copy of the .zip, see if that one works for you: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3579841/JARFR_THSS_0.1.9.zip

In other news I will be moving house tomorrow so it may be a couple of days till I get everything up and running. I'll keep on working insofar I can and I'll see about getting a new update out the door ASAP.

Edit: Jfull and WBcundiff whooeee, that looks just amazing, I'm hoping your lander makes it down as well. I've been working on figuring out a landing leg design that looks good on the Octostruts. With a little luck that can be added on to your next lander.

Edited by Semni

I don't recall ever seeing this mentioned, but I'm having a problem with a couple of parts from this pack. The octo adapters which split into 5 1m and 2 2m nodes keep falling off. I added struts, unbreakable joints, etc, and they still just decide not to go to space.

The triangle docking ports are nice and tight, but damn are they difficult to get JUUUUUUST right to do so. Those pieces that fold might work better if when the port is unlocked they were folded back against the sides instead of slightly protruding. Unless you're pixel perfect, they tend to just collide and push the object you're docking with out of the way. Just have to use 1 tri-hex port and a vanilla one for now to make it simpler.

In what way or under what situation are they breaking off for you?

Does anything else fall apart on you during flights?

Are you under heavy physics time slowdown during launch?

The picture in the post directly above yours shows one in space...

Even so, I want to fix it if there is a problem. But I need more info. :D

I know, that's why its so baffling. Not under warp. It seems to happen when the first booster on my ship decouples, as if the adapter were attached to it. But I double checked, it's not. I'll tinker with it some more today.

Edit: Well, it seems to be working just fine, now. I updated a couple other mods since last night, so it was probably one of those causing it.

Edited by loppnessmonsta

I seem to be having the same issue. I am using the 5 way 1.25 meter adapter to octo strut and it just keeps falling off. I use it on my main stage on a new rocket, and when my liquid boosters decouple, it just falls off. I think the shock of the decouplers is what is causing it. I am under heavy physics slowdown on lunch. Also, the picture above loppnessmonsta's post is a dual 2.5 meter to octo strut adapter, not the 5 way adapter.

A most excellent set of struts, Semni. I've been looking for something like this for building the truss backbone of my space station for quite some time.

One issue I've run into is the inability to build closed loops of trusses - the segments and the node adapters snap into place in the VAB, but when loaded onto the launchpad (with adequate supports) or hyperedited into orbit (for structural testing), certain connections would fail. I do suspect it's something to do with KSP's "tree" method of determining part hierarchy in a craft (which also prevents multi-node docking), but I thought you should know anyway.

I'll post a screenshot later today.

Definitely seen that adapter problem...

oops-falloff.jpg

I hit the printscreen key a tad quicker than I intended, but you can see the bottom separating here. This is simply the big tank, the adapter, and two Mainsails on the bottom. It's all one stage, hitting the space key simultaneously releases the launch towers and fires up the engines... or it should. In fact what happens is the launch towers release and the back end instantly falls off.

EDIT: Looking at the GE_THSS_Octo_250x2 part.cfg, I see the "breakingForce" and "breakingTorque" lines are missing. The defaults for these values are comically low. Stock 1.25m parts set them to 50, and 2.5m parts set them to 200. Parts this size should probably set them to 1000 or so...

Edited by Gaius

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.