[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

Just would like to drop by and say wow!

After playing kerbal now for 2 years I finally downloaded FASA. For some reason it never worked well for me before, and just holy.....

Amazing rockets. Love Apollo 5.

Trying to read through the 383 pages, but just wondering if you have any more plans for this pack?

Just would like to drop by and say wow!

After playing kerbal now for 2 years I finally downloaded FASA. For some reason it never worked well for me before, and just holy.....

Amazing rockets. Love Apollo 5.

Trying to read through the 383 pages, but just wondering if you have any more plans for this pack?

Probably the Apollo Direct fuel tanks and landing gear.

Apollo_Direct_Ascent.png

I'm having the same problem! Does anyone know what we're doing wrong?

Follow the instructions on the first page....

It seems the LEM lander is having issues. When you fire the engine it goes way off course. It is impossible to keep it true without it veering off course. seems to be producing thrust at an angle or the LEM CG is off

Is it balanced? Meaning did you put equal weight on both sides. The legs must be put on in 2x symmetry mode, along with anything else you attach to it.

Frizzank, woo! That'll be grand.

If you're considering alt-Apollos, though, I'd ask you to take a look at the prettiness that was the Convair, Martin, and GE submissions for the contract. Very cool looking, and nearly as close to 'would have happened' as Apollo Direct. Especially since for the first two they would be lifting bodies, and that's a craft type we really don't have much of in KSP.

It seems the LEM lander is having issues. When you fire the engine it goes way off course. It is impossible to keep it true without it veering off course. seems to be producing thrust at an angle or the LEM CG is off

In addition to proper balancing, do you have RCS active? Without RCS, the LEM will not maintain orientation.

Probably the Apollo Direct fuel tanks and landing gear.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/Apollo_Direct_Ascent.png

I'd love to see this, particularly the landing gear. I've been toying with various designs lately. The legs are invariably the dodgiest element.

NOKiSR6.png

Edited by Jack Wolfe

Check to make sure you installed it correctly.

Did you delete anything from FASA? If you did try just the standard install then delete things one at a time to find your problem. There is a lot of shared assets to save on memory and performance so you need to be careful about what you remove.

If you just want the launch towers there is a separate download for that. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/71032-FASA-Launch-Towers

----From the first page. ----

Install Instructions

All mods reside in their own folder under "GameData" in the main KSP directory.

Delete the old version of FASA before installing.

The parts folder in the main KSP directory should not have any FASA parts in it. It is no longer used in .20 and beyond.

If your upgrading from before .20 your craft and saves will no longer work correctly.

Steam install is here.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData

The "Squad" folder is the stock parts that come with KSP, any other folder you add is a mod. To remove the mod just delete the FASA folder.

If there are any parts you wish to delete from FASA open up the mod folder and delete any folders you dont like, or want. I do this a lot with mods I download. It keeps loading times low and filters out the parts I never use.

If your upgrading to a new version "You Must" delete the old version of FASA before installing newer versions!

Having older version parts and not deleting them will give you duplicate parts.

Something went wrong and FASA broke KSP, HELP!!!

Do this first before asking for help....

Step 1- This helps with memory problems.

Delete the FASA mod. Run KSP again.

From the main menu, click on settings and then Graphics at the top.

Change your "Texture Quality:" to the Eighth Res option.

Click apply then exit KSP

Re-install FASA and try running KSP again.

If nothing is working or some parts are missing, something is seriously broken with KSP continue to step 2

Step 2- This helps with broken or missing parts.

Start with a fresh instal of KSP. If you like you can copy the previous install somewhere else as a backup first.

If your using steam, right click on the name in the library and click delete local files.

Navigate to the steam game directory and verify that the Kerbal space program folder is gone. If it is still there delete it!

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\

After its done double click the Kerbal Space Program name in your list of games and select install.

If its a regular version of KSP. Delete KSP and then re-install it.

You should now have a CLEAN version of stock KSP.

Open the FASA.zip file

Copy all of its content into your main KSP directory. If you put it in the correct spot you should get a confirmation popup asking if you want to overwrite the folders and files. Say YES overwrite all folders and

files.

You should have a clean version of KSP and FASA only.

Run KSP and see if it works.

If it still crashes on load, verify that you have enough free memory to run KSP with mods.

If you have less than 2gb of RAM you are going to need to upgrade your system or install fewer parts.

Have you ever considered making an adapter part for the LEM docking cone? Or even better, just a separate docking part that would be able to be used more generally?

While I don't mind having to built my own adapters out of structural parts, having an actual single part would be a good addition.

Well new problem...

Again with the CM/LM stuff, Mono in both vehicles, two crew in the LM one in the CM. I undock and the LM is dead. No activation. Again it has fuel, electrical, and crew. But it wont work. Also the CM dies as well. Same setup, fuel, electrical, but it wont do anything...

What gives?

This is a great mod and I've enjoyed it so far, but I absolutely cannot figure out how to integrate the LEM into my Saturn V replica. I'm attempting to use the base, which presumably snaps to bottom of the CM's engine, but then I can't make the lander itself stick to the base. Am I missing something?

This is a great mod and I've enjoyed it so far, but I absolutely cannot figure out how to integrate the LEM into my Saturn V replica. I'm attempting to use the base, which presumably snaps to bottom of the CM's engine, but then I can't make the lander itself stick to the base. Am I missing something?

The central circle base is for the LM engine. Hook it to the CM then place the LM engine (Decent) on the center of the crossties.

Have you ever considered making an adapter part for the LEM docking cone? Or even better' date=' just a separate docking part that would be able to be used more generally?

While I don't mind having to built my own adapters out of structural parts, having an actual single part would be a good addition.[/quote']

I've mentioned this in the form of a Apillo·Soyuz type adapter (which would be awesome!) given the rendezvous missions of the 1970's.

I second this idea.

Is there any plans to create a Saturn-I with the dummy upper stages and the original S-IV upper stage? Or at least a correct nose cone so that SA-1 thru 4 simulations can be more realistic. Saturn-I Block I had a different thrust structure then the S-IB.

Saturn I Block I thrust structure.

Saturn_I_test_article.jpg

SA-1 thru 10 configurations

Saturn_I_profiles.jpg

S-IV upper stage

6416600.jpg

Finally any chance of a Pad 34 clamp, like the MR clamps?

Edited by bjbeardse
S-IV/IVB comparison pic didnt show, so i deleted it.

FASA has plenty of nosecones and engines and doing variations of existing parts that do almost the same thing would just be too much for most people. I understand your desire to exactly recreate every launch, but I don't have the time to make every single variation of every launch so I focused on just the milestones.

I will let you guys come up with clever ways recreating the other launches with existing parts.

What are MR clamps?

Edited by frizzank

I am using a subset of this mod (several Saturn V parts) in 64K (Kerbin universe scaled up by 6.4), and i have a few minor issues and some observations:

- I scaled up several parts to fit my 64K needs, and when in flight the CM reverts to its original size if i use rescaleFactor in the cfg. I used 'MODEL { scale = }' to work around that. Reverting o original size seems to be triggered by a reload of the craft in flight (revert to launch, switch to another vessel outside of physics range and back again).

- The CM has what looks like bits of white texture floating out of it. It looks like they could be texture masks for rasterprop (not installed). Those bits have a position 'in 3D' near the CM and are slowly drifting about. See image:

cPNk24M.png

- I found that there is a lot of movement between the CM and LEM docking ports, when docked and under thrust. I solved that by increasing the mass of both ports to 0.2 (reduced the mass of CM and LEM to compensate), increased the attachnode sizes to 2, and increased breakingForce and breakingTorque.

- The CM rcs ports that point forward at an angle fire when using rcs translation (keys i,j,k,l), inconveniently changing prograde speed.

Edited by rkman

Hi FASA peeps,

Just started running into an issue with FASA 5.20 when trying to undock the CSM from the LEM. Both crafts 'explode' when the crew tries to undock. Undock works fine if I haven't restored from save, i.e. from a direct launch, but unfortunately Apollo 11 is standing-by orbiting the Mun and ready to land our first Kerbal! Their life-support is running out so we sent Ken Mattingly down to the simulator to see if he could squeeze 3 or 4 more amps and here's what he found:

First Ken installed a fresh KSP .90 x32 on his Win8 rig. Then using CKAN he deployed *only* FASA 5.2 and no other mods and copied the "FASA Sandbox" to his saves dir, fired up the game loading FASA Sandbox, selected the 'FASA Apollo Saturn V.craft' and launched it into a high orbit. After successful capture and extraction of the LEM, he transferred Jeb and Bill into the LEM and saved the game. As I said before we can undock at this point without issues, but if we Load from save disaster strikes and nobody gets to go to the Mun!

Time is running out people so I want that procedure and I want it NOW!!!! Err, <cough, cough>... sorry, I've been spending too much time with Gene Kerman lately... :)

Using this unmodded test tree the results are slightly different than my heavily modded tree. Instead of exploding on undock, the LEM appears to still be attached to the CSM 'logically' in that RCS thrust can be seen from CSM and LEM at the same time even though they are technically no longer attached. At the same time the parachute shield unattaches itself and so does the CSM docking port and the Apollo heat shield too. All very bizarre and a mission killer.

So am I just nutz or is anyone else seeing this issue?

I haven't tried parsing the log files yet, maybe I'll go do that now....

Thanks In Advance!!! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.