[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

That's your problem right there. Heatshield is for where the heat is, i.e. prograde. ;)

Actually it's not. If I'd reenter prograde I'd go in nose first, instead of 'butt' first.

Nice pics. Is the white segment two parts or one? IRL it was two. The part behind the seam, the cargo/docking module, was ejected. The part on the other side of the seam contained the retro rockets. After retrofire that was detached and you'd be left with the passenger module/cockpit.

Do you plan on doing a 2.5 meter version of that part, btw? Would make it possible to make this.

Big_Gemini.png

Couldn't be more excited about this update, btw. You've gone above and beyond. Without a doubt the most detailed historic mod for KSP.

Edited by CaptRobau

Sorry, you said heatshield pointed retrograde, above. Was that not what you meant? Because if you're entering with your craft pointed retrograde, then the bottom of the craft--where the shield is--should be pointing prograde...

Craft turned retrograde orientation = heatshield pointed prograde direction.

Both are valid ways to say it, but without specifying "orientation" or "direction" it's easy to misinterpret. :)

Craft turned retrograde orientation = heatshield pointed prograde direction.

Both are valid ways to say it, but without specifying "orientation" or "direction" it's easy to misinterpret. :)

Yeah but he'd specifically said his heat shield was pointed retro :wink: But anyway, if his actual problem is he's colliding with what he's ejecting (nosecone) then either he needs the ejected part to be facing retro or it WILL collide with him.

Alternatively, eject it before re-entry. in which case it's best to be pointed +/- normal. The nose cone will drift far enough away so as not to be an issue at any point that you're in atmo.

Yeah but he'd specifically said his heat shield was pointed retro :wink: But anyway, if his actual problem is he's colliding with what he's ejecting (nosecone) then either he needs the ejected part to be facing retro or it WILL collide with him.

Alternatively, eject it before re-entry. in which case it's best to be pointed +/- normal. The nose cone will drift far enough away so as not to be an issue at any point that you're in atmo.

I've encountered the same problem Capt Robau is talking about. After re-entry, with the blunt end pointed at all the dirt and water and the pointy end pointed at the clear Kerbin sky, when you jettison the nose cone it has a tendency to overtake your capsule and collide ever so gently. If you delay until you're well into the thicker atmosphere, it will fall away normally. It is not an orientation problem, it is one of drag.

The nosecone is suppose to be there to protect the parachutes during re-entry. Any how I fixed the drag on it and it now flys away as expected when in the atmosphere. Of course you can still run into it if your facing the wrong direction, but I cant help you with that...

Will put it up with the next release after the Maned Orbital Lab is complete.

It was a misunderstanding about how I interpreted orientation. Either way, frizzank has fixed for the next one, so we're all good.

If you dont want to wait for the update its an easy fix in the .cfg file.

Go to this folder

GameData\FASA\Gemini2\FASA_Gemini_PortNoseCone2

open up the cfg file with a text editor

Gemini_Nosecone.cfg

Look for this section of text in the middle of the file.

maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2

And change it to

maximum_drag = 0.22
minimum_drag = 0.18

Just found out that the drogue parachute was only used to remove the nosecone. The drogue parachute would deploy, the attachment points of the docking nosecone (R&R section in the video) would separate it and the drogue would pull it away. Then the main parachute would deploy. Not arguing for any changes (a separate drogue chute gives more options), but I thought it'd be interesting to share.

Thats fun, I had the same problem that NASA did.

Kerbal is a game about building, flying, exploding gloriously, and then doing it all again with a bigger rocket. I would much rather give unrealistic, inaccurate parts that give you more options rather than confine you to what was historically accurate. The point of the game is the ability to create your own rockets for your own unique missions. I think that this is where my pack is headed with all the what could have been parts I am adding.

I have always been fascinated with projects that never made it off the drawing board. Unexplored visions of what could have been, might have worked, or were just too ambitious or too daft to pursue. Thanks for opening up this avenue of the Gemini programme for us!

Since installing the 2.2 version on this mod ksp crashes a lot now. It doesn't freeze it will just close itself (mainly when i load into a different location, ie VAB to launch pad)

Is there any possibility the mod is causing this? and has anyone else run into this problem.

I'm running a mixture of the current version and a previous version, some parts are doubled up, could this be the cause?

Since installing the 2.2 version on this mod ksp crashes a lot now. It doesn't freeze it will just close itself (mainly when i load into a different location, ie VAB to launch pad)

Is there any possibility the mod is causing this? and has anyone else run into this problem.

I'm running a mixture of the current version and a previous version, some parts are doubled up, could this be the cause?

That, my friend, is what we call "KSP has a memory leak." Basically the best thing to do is delete stuff you won't use in all of the mods you have installed. Perhaps get rid of a mod.

That, my friend, is what we call "KSP has a memory leak." Basically the best thing to do is delete stuff you won't use in all of the mods you have installed. Perhaps get rid of a mod.

Dam, of course it is. Thank you.

Sometimes 2 + 2 will just not make 4, no matter how much you look at it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.