[0.22] B9 Aerospace Pack / R4.0c / New pods, IVAs, engines, fuselages & structures

bac9

Is there a way whereby i can change the texture of a part?

Every single part is using textures exported to .png for fast loading and easy editing.

Just a note, though: find a solution to load .png as RGBA properly. By default, Photoshop opens .png files as RGB with transparency, killing all data in transparent areas. Alpha channel stores a very important thing used by material shader, the specular map, - losing it is very undesirable and will degrade the visual quality of the part. Afaik GIMP and some other packages can open and save .png as RGBA, use that.

Overwrite everything, and don't forget to detach and reattach MK5 cockpit everywhere you have used it previously. Other than that, nope, nothing will break.

Every single part is using textures exported to .png for fast loading and easy editing.

Just a note, though: find a solution to load .png as RGBA properly. By default, Photoshop opens .png files as RGB with transparency, killing all data in transparent areas. Alpha channel stores a very important thing used by material shader, the specular map, - losing it is very undesirable and will degrade the visual quality of the part. Afaik GIMP and some other packages can open and save .png as RGBA, use that.

Thank you Bac9. I'll try it. (i completely overlooked the png files)

Personally I use Paint.net to convert KSP .png textures to something else without losing the alpha channel, which may be a better choice if you already have Photoshop and don't want to install GIMP as well.

Can I update this by just dropping the files in and having it overwrite the old ones, or will that break everything?

Yes, although you will have to reattach crafts using the MK5 cockpit, and if you're not on 2-4 you will have to rebuild any wings using the B9 wing parts.

Awesome work bac9. Is it possible in some of the cockpits with the MFD, to do something about the screen brightness? It's hard to make out a lot of the time. It seems that in certain situations where the screen background is dark, the text towards the top is light and easy to read, but the text fades to darker grey towards the bottom, and makes it really difficult to read. Perhaps a red cockpit light could help too, as much of the M27 is dark when you're not in direct sunlight.

Awesome work bac9. Is it possible in some of the cockpits with the MFD, to do something about the screen brightness? It's hard to make out a lot of the time. It seems that in certain situations where the screen background is dark, the text towards the top is light and easy to read, but the text fades to darker grey towards the bottom, and makes it really difficult to read. Perhaps a red cockpit light could help too, as much of the M27 is dark when you're not in direct sunlight.

Are you, by any chance, using a raised brightness value in the graphics options? I have never noticed any readability problems with the screens, in any IVA.

Bac, In less than a week you released (with many changes) 3 version of your pack.

I did developed a couple of ships, and any time you release a new version these ship are unusable. The r2 Was fine, just the eva on the mk25 and low strength on connection, r3 needed a complete ship rebuild because the wings, r4 (after fixed the ship) wing exploded on space, r5 changed wings balance again and ships (less lift?) stopped fly as intended and the balance of the ship is compromised. I really try to setup a ship using your pack, that is awesome, but I can't trust on it, because it change moment by moment and I can't release a ship with it.

Sorry But I dropped.

Are you, by any chance, using a raised brightness value in the graphics options? I have never noticed any readability problems with the screens, in any IVA.

My graphics options don't have anything even closely related to a brightness or gamma setting. I have every other setting cranked up to max though. Here is a picture describing my issue, with the M27 cockpit:

OfDwDVi.jpg

Bac, In less than a week you released (with many changes) 3 version of your pack.

I did developed a couple of ships, and any time you release a new version these ship are unusable. The r2 Was fine, just the eva on the mk25 and low strength on connection, r3 needed a complete ship rebuild because the wings, r4 (after fixed the ship) wing exploded on space, r5 changed wings balance again and ships (less lift?) stopped fly as intended and the balance of the ship is compromised. I really try to setup a ship using your pack, that is awesome, but I can't trust on it, because it change moment by moment and I can't release a ship with it.

Sorry But I dropped.

Nothing is compelling you to update your pack. Why not wait a few updates then update and fix your planes one time? During the forum outage, he had nobody to test his new parts, so they need a lot of testing now.

I have 2 small requests.

1.Could you make a SAS and ASAS unit made in the form factor S2? May be, like a monopropellant tank. Difficult to keep the ship in the same position in space. Last time SSTO plane kicked Jeb to other planet)

2.Could you make animated protetive reilings. It will be cool and some times help to roleplay)

Edited by khagar

Excellent work! Everything about this is superbly done. Been having a blast with it. I do have a question, in the last updates you had FAR folders, but not this last one. Is this ok if not using FAR?

Thanks for the awesome work.

I have 2 small requests.

1.Could you make a SAS and ASAS unit made in the form factor S2? May be, like a monopropellant tank. Difficult to keep the ship in the same position in space. Last time SSTO plane kicked Jeb to other planet)

2.Could you make animated protetive reilings. It will be cool and some times help to roleplay)

What's there to animate in protective railings? As about S2-sized control parts, I'm only planning on SAS, as it's using reaction wheels or something and can't realistically be placed radially. ASAS/ACU are flight computers and they works as radially attached parts just fine, eliminating the need for lots of fuselage-specific variations.

My graphics options don't have anything even closely related to a brightness or gamma setting. I have every other setting cranked up to max though. Here is a picture describing my issue, with the M27 cockpit:

OfDwDVim.jpg

VlQWo2Mm.jpg

Edited by bac9

I realise this thing is considerably underpowered, but before 2.5 it just exploded when it was dropped on it's wheels at the start so I left it alone. Now however it's suffering from that peculiar FAR wing flutter issue which just makes it shake itself apart at 30-40m/s. It is strutted although not overly so, but that I don't believe is an issue in this case. The control surfaces are from Taverius' pack, so they should be compatible. Haven't done anything daft, I don't think?

8679395913_f789445eab_c.jpg

Ooooohhh that's a neat looking plane!

If you installed the latest B9 and my pack with the FAR cfgs (I will merge configs in next release probably) then it should be ok. FAR does introduce control delay though, so aeroelastic phenomena are likely if the craft is too flexible. You could try decreasing the gain on the pitch damper.

.... can I have the .craft? :D

FAR does introduce control delay though

Ah, that explains why my rockets go crazy with FAR when I turn on ASAS, but don't without FAR. I had noticed the controls seemed to be delayed, but I didn't realize it was FAR introducing the delay.

Ah, that explains why my rockets go crazy with FAR when I turn on ASAS, but don't without FAR. I had noticed the controls seemed to be delayed, but I didn't realize it was FAR introducing the delay.

This is more appropriate to the FAR thread but generally a good idea is to turn control surfaces on rockets down to 2-3 degrees. Its also generally better (in FAR) not to have winglets on rockets unless you absolutely need them for stability.

Well, a) it won't get off the runway, B) if it did it probably needs twice as many engines anyway but I haven't got past structural testing yet, and c) the strutting needs redoing because I'm still working out what needs strutting. I believe the struts are from the KW pack and it has a MJ 1.9 pod & TT wheels, other than that I don't think I added anything. Maybe you'll get the same issue as I have & know how to fix it...

Does remind me of some Soviet aircraft, somehow. http://tinyurl.com/d9pksd3