[0.21.1] KAS v0.4.3 - Struts, pipes, part storage, containers, merged winches & more

KospY

Bit a bug I'm having here, that seems to be KAS Related.

I was testing the new version on the runway, and occasionally part of my testing setup would suddenly teleport downwards. It'd instantly go through the runway onto the ground beneath it, only to then collide with the runway, destroying the central part and sending the rest flying.

Now I tried to quicksave and quickload my plane on the runway because the 'resources' display wasn't working(The plane has some KAS Struts engaged). It's now doing the same thing: The instant physics load in, it teleports down into the runway, it gets kicked back upward, some stuff gets destroyed and the rest goes flying. Never seen anything like it.

(Can't seem to get a screenshot of it embedded in the runway, they all end up being just a moment later after it's been shoved back out.)

802766E7C248CA00D2CC1A8B1EDBDBFB8ACC575A

86BBEDD94690E65F5550FD2C6CC7B628AD7D7AE2

Ok, sorry to be an issue reporter but ladders that have been placed are unusuable. Sorry to be bugging you so soon after the release.

Edit: Ok, i just had to quicksave and reload, same for placing things. Why is that still a bug???

Edited by elind21
Solved

This is a lot to take in, but it looks very promising.

One question, though: Why do the containers attach to nodes while requiring another part in order to attach radially? Couldn't the containers attach radially as well? Sure, it looks cool, but it really ups the part count in what seems to be a gratuitous manner.

I should add: The common factors in both cases where I had this problem were Type A containers in racks and Physical KAS connections between parts of a docked craft: pipes during testing (forming the dock as well), and struts with the plane (attaching the rotating cargo-bay to the rest of the plane, as well as the rover in the bay to the bay itself. The rover is docked to the bay via a pair of CoT Jrs.)

When I edited the plane off the runway it continued to the do the same thing, at the instant of physics load it would teleport down into the ground, then get violently kicked out.

The last time I tried it, the front half of the plane survived, so I decided to roll with it. There were some interesting errors after everything came to rest.

The Rover ended up beneath the bay, despite the bay still being closed and the docking washers still attached at either end (it had to clip through something to get there). The CoT Jrs were intact, and at first it seemed as if the rover were still attached to the bay. It came loose shortly after, despite not having been undocked. When I got poor bill out to the rover and tried to use it, it didn't work because its Okto2 probe core (the only battery storage it has, it's nuclear powered) was...broken somehow. No storage, no control functions, no right-click menu. One of the containers in the cargo bay survived and I was able to get a battery out of it, which got the rover working again. I just took the container out of the bay entirely, and laid it on the ground there. Didn't see the point in having it sitting in the bay uselessly.

Then the cargo bay and the rest of the front half of the plane still attached to it started floating off into the air like there was no gravity (and no, I didn't hack it.) I tried switching craft to it and was not able to: I could switch to bill, the rover, and every other piece of debris, but not the floating front half of the plane. It should've still been well within range, because I didn't get a range indicator on it, and it didn't look too far away at all.

When I loaded a new rover and plane in to try again, my flag at the Mk1 Pod Memorial fell over and exploded. Saving and reloading multiple times resulted in the same thing. It was kilometers away from the 'crash site' and couldn't've possibly been directly hit by anything.

KOSMOS, then KW, now KAS! God people, slow down! I can't keep modifying my craft files to be non-broken fast enough!

While i'm overjoyed to have new version of this awesome and essential mod, i will be waiting for 0.22 to actually install it. Right now i have too much stuff in space to risk ship-breaking across the system. I will start new save in 0.22 anyway, so there is no reason to put more pressure on KospY.

Well, I've had an interesting time testing the new version. Tried building a replica of you nuclear lander you showed in your screenshots, Hoping to land it without killing poor old Jeb. I also had a run in with the supposedly squashed no attach pointer bug, Though I also suffered a weird loss of control when I Quicksaved and quickloaded, no amount of Jebs RCS seemed to help him change course, also when I drifted close enough to attach the port it sent my vessel into a mad rotation once attached. After that another save/load got me back control of jeb and he got back in the cockpit....

One question, though: Why do the containers attach to nodes while requiring another part in order to attach radially? Couldn't the containers attach radially as well? Sure, it looks cool, but it really ups the part count in what seems to be a gratuitous manner.

Because you can drop them like suitcases! And move them around so you don't have to carry one part at a time.

While i'm overjoyed to have new version of this awesome and essential mod, i will be waiting for 0.22 to actually install it. Right now i have too much stuff in space to risk ship-breaking across the system. I will start new save in 0.22 anyway, so there is no reason to put more pressure on KospY.

I just did a mod refresh, so I have nothing in space right now. Throwing Remote Tech sats up atm, thinking I'll keep that mod on the list now.

Just as I expected, there's no clean upgrade path. :(

While winch and connector port models haven't changed (the old detachable port should be trivial to replace with the current port, it looks like just renaming the part will suffice) the connector poses serious problems -- I can't cleanly get the connector out of the save file and the new winch stops working correctly when there's a connector present, even if the model is inert.

Any ideas?

P.S. No, grabbing a connector and entering a pod does NOT always work. Updating and making the connector a part that is grabbable but otherwise inert leaves the winch damaged after the connector is removed.

P.P.S. Well, at least replacing all instances of "KAS.CPort3" with "KAS.CPort1" cleanly replaces the detachable connector ports with new ones, so that's one less problem.

P.P.P.S. If you just launch an old winch without a connector and upgrade, the new winch that replaces it works fine.

Edited by Mihara

Just downloaded and started testing on the launch pad. I took the 3 man capsule and stuck on a part bay to test out the pipes, struts, and ground pylons.

After connecting up about 3 pipe and strut runs, suddenly my eva kerbal fell on his face and wouldn't move. So I quick saved and reloaded and BOOM! Everything blew up. (But the kerbal started moving again.)

You know come to think of it, I used the vertical "radial" winch (typo one), and connected that to a port that I had placed on one of the ground pylons in "UNdocked" mode. Upon re-load of my quicksave, that's what blew up, the rest stayed. (Tested a 2nd time, after hookup of all pips and struts and the winch I quicksaved and re-loaded and the whole capsule (including all group pylons) jumped up off the launch pad and exploded.

Thoughts? let me know what info you need

PS what is the "Hook Support" used for?

EDIT: Performed another test with no winch at all, just the ground pylons, pipes, struts. Reloads work flawlessly for me. IMHO you could use this mod with no winch for now, until that bug is found and quashed. Thanks!

Edited by rottielover

Am I doing something wrong? Anything I try to attach works at KSC but in orbit or on mun, no luck, no attach icon.

Edit: Ok that's what everyone is talking about quicksave and reload. But no debris = no boxes :( Time to send up a resupply mission...

Edited by Secret Squirrel

Not having much luck are you?

Actually, I removed the containers from the plane because I suspected them, replaced the flag, and then flew the plane into orbit. I just didn't quicksave and quickload that time.

I did forget one other common factor between the two attempts: both craft were on mod wheels with suspensions. The test craft that kept blowing up was on rollkage wheels, the plane is on TT Modular Multiwheels landing gear. Only the wheeled portion of the test craft was doing the 'teleport into the ground thing', and that was also the only time I saw it happen in-flight, and not just right at physics load. (I was trying to use it to pull on pipes to see what would happen.)

Just downloaded and started testing on the launch pad. I took the 3 man capsule and stuck on a part bay to test out the pipes, struts, and ground pylons.

After connecting up about 3 pipe and strut runs, suddenly my eva kerbal fell on his face and wouldn't move. So I quick saved and reloaded and BOOM! Everything blew up. (But the kerbal started moving again.)

You know come to think of it, I used the vertical "radial" winch (typo one), and connected that to a port that I had placed on one of the ground pylons in "UNdocked" mode. Upon re-load of my quicksave, that's what blew up, the rest stayed. (Tested a 2nd time, after hookup of all pips and struts and the winch I quicksaved and re-loaded and the whole capsule (including all group pylons) jumped up off the launch pad and exploded.

Thoughts? let me know what info you need

PS what is the "Hook Support" used for?

EDIT: Performed another test with no winch at all, just the ground pylons, pipes, struts. Reloads work flawlessly for me. IMHO you could use this mod with no winch for now, until that bug is found and quashed. Thanks!

Already know bug, and I didn't found why it happen. Sometimes after a load/warp parts get spawned under the ground for an unknow reason.

It seem to be a KSP bug, however using struts, pipes or winches increase the chance of this bug to appear. The only thing I found about it is when a Kerbal eva get stuck, it happen every time after a save/load ...

Am I doing something wrong? Anything I try to attach works at KSC but in orbit or on mun, no luck, no attach icon.

Edit: Ok that's what everyone is talking about quicksave and reload. But no debris = no boxes :( Time to send up a resupply mission...

The attach pointer do not work sometimes, i didn't found why yet but yeah a save/load will make it work again.

Because you can drop them like suitcases! And move them around so you don't have to carry one part at a time.

I don't see any reason why they can't do that and still be attached radially by themselves. I guess I'll just play around with the part file.

You could change the connectors CFG so it overheats at a super low temp, load it up, and *poof* (literally..).

All unwanted parts gone.

How exactly would this be different from making the connector a detachable part with the new plugin and removing it? Because that does not fix the winch, it remains broken.

I've test the wenches and it still allows fuel transfer through the wench... so what are the pipes for... show? Maybe some code is needed to disable docking mode with the wench for all parts other than EM and Hooks. Forcing the User to use pipes to transfer fuel and power. Real-ishly the wench is nothing more then a high strength rope not suited for even power sharing, let alone fuel transfer through its tiny diameter. Of course if you can get power to transfer and not fuel through some more fancy coding that would be cool.

Anyone having a bug where the game stops drawing objects so all you see is skyscape (no planets, no ships, nothing) and you have to reboot the game to fix it? I've just started experience this ever so often since the new KAS mod installation (then again I remember something like this with FASA asteroid mod months ago but have not installed that mod for some time)

Edited by RuBisCO

I tested the new release and I think I will revert to the old one, at least until the bugs are fixed. Even the most simple of constructions, two vehicles connected via the winch, tend to spontaneously combust. In my first try, just grabbing the winch and starting to walk was enough to blow up my "fuel truck".

And @RuBisCO: please do not test wenches in public forums, there may be minors around :P