Dead sattelite falling on sept 23rd?

Goran

I swear, if I go outside on Saturday and find a satellite on the roof of my car, then not only is NASA paying to repair/replace the car... I'm keepin' the satellite as a souvenir! ;P

According to international law it is the property of the United States of America. You keep it, the black helicopters will repossess it! ;P

Actually, according to NASA's risk assessment, it's a 1 in 3200 chance of causing damage on the ground.

More interestingly, groundtrack shows that on the predicted reentry window, the satellite is likely to deorbit over mexico, and according to an image I saw, it should pass very near Mexico City. Should be a very cool fireworks show... Too bad the predicted times are during the day... I'll definitely try to spot it anyways :)

Cheers

More interestingly, groundtrack shows that on the predicted reentry window, the satellite is likely to deorbit over mexico, and according to an image I saw, it should pass very near Mexico City.

Where did you find that information? :o

I would like to see it too! :P

Going to suck for whoever gets the property insurance call!

I imagine the conversation would be like this,

Random freaked out moron: UHHH! Statefarm Somehow aliens dun BLEW up my !@#$ing house from outerspace!

Insurance Agent: Sorry Sir!, we can\'t help you since the contract you signed said on page 237 doesn\'t cover falling space debris!

Moron: DERP!! NASA and the FBI are stomping on the foundation looking for all these broken pc chip things.

Insurance Agent: Goodbye POT smoking moron prankcaller!

Moron: NooooOOOOOooOOOOO!!!!!!!!

FBI operative: Under exec. order number blah 0 blahblah-78, we\'re detaining this moron until this mess gets cleaned up. Unless he\'s quite.

NASA nerd: He\'s contaiminating the whole crashsite with SPIT, move the moron aside now for national security reasons!

Moron: I\'MMMM RICHHHHHH WAIIITTTTTT!!!!(handcuff clicks shut) Why\'d yall pay me 200k then arrest me?

FBI: You broke the deal by yelling loud enough for the whole damn town to hear that your rich cuz the SPY sat-E-Lite smacked your house.

Update #10

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 09:45:08 AM CDT

As of 10:30 a.m. EDT on Sept. 23, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 100 miles by 105 miles (160 km by 170 km). Re-entry is expected late Friday, Sept. 23, or early Saturday, Sept. 24, Eastern Daylight Time. Solar activity is no longer the major factor in the satellite’s rate of descent. The satellite’s orientation or configuration apparently has changed, and that is now slowing its descent. There is a low probability any debris that survives re-entry will land in the United States, but the possibility cannot be discounted because of this changing rate of descent. It is still too early to predict the time and location of re-entry with any certainty, but predictions will become more refined in the next 12 to 18 hours.

Running a little later now.. and could orbit further around than expected. Wear a helmet today :)