Noob: Can someone tell me what's wrong?

Well.. first upload your images to a website like imgur.com, its fast and simple and you can embed the pictures on the forum.

A dropbox account is needed to see your pictures and not everyone has or wants to download your images.

Reply when you have your images uploaded in a image sharing site

Agreed, if you want people to see your content, don't make them jump through hoops just to get a glimpse of it.

- just go to imgur.com

- drag your images anywhere onto the webpage, then click start upload

- copy the code marked "BBCode (message boards & forums)" and place it in your forum post

...images show right in your post, with no sign-ups, downloads, external links or any other obstacles, just like this:

hwq1DIw.jpg

Is that available as a craft file? Pretty please?

If you insist... Mainsail Express - with 42 mainsails comes great responsibility.

(Liquid makes no warranties, express or implied, as to the usability, spaceworthiness or general practicality of this ship and accepts no liability whatsoever for any outcome of the result of it's use, including but not limited to obliterating the space-time continuum. Any and all complaints should be made to sal_vager for inspiring this ridonkulous idea.)

Welcome to the community Elite-Blade 672 :)

Yeah we want to see your craft!

And Liquid, all tech support regarding the Mainsail Express is cancelled pending the retrieval of a suitable amount of sanity :D

Edited by sal_vager
Missed an "a"

Believe it or not, I actually intended to make this interplanetary, possibly even able to go to multiple planets! :D I'll keep the fewer fuel lines in mind. So far I've tested it, and I get about 7.5 G's and it can easily get me into orbit with the main rocket still intact. Then, when I achieve said orbit, I'll use the nuclear rockets to increase my Ap to multiple planets! Sounds good, right?

Something I noticed is that you have fuel lines on solid rocket boosters.... You cannot move around solid rocket fuel. Also, I agree with some of the other responses. You overdid it a little bit. Remember that less is more, especially when launching rockets.

But congratulations on a working design! It really is an achievement to get into orbit, or get to another planet. With a little refinement, you'll have an awesome rocket :)

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, as previously mentioned, you have way too many fuel lines, they cross tanks then cross back again, i bet the software is getting confused of where to pump the fuel!!

In Rocket building, bigger is not always better, people have made it to the MUN with about 8 parts in the past, However, i like the way your have designed your craft :)

Oh dear lord :0.0: . I literally laughed lout loud at this. This is brilliantly designed honestly, just really really overkill. Do you actually get in orbit with this or do you just fly straight to the planet? :P And the fuel lines, oh those fuel lines. Useless on the SRBs, just remove them. And when a tank is stacked under another tank, you don't need to connect them with a fuel line. And lastly, you don't need to send fuel lines back and forth between two adjacent tanks, they will drain at the same speed. Unless you have different engines under but that would surprise me. But it looks awesome honestly. Just very fuel consuming. I'm scared you might attract the kraken with this. Be careful.

Wow. That's one of the most kerbal rocket designs I've ever seen. :)

Less really is more in spaceflight, as more really is less. Your craft could be a fifth that size, a tenth the complexity, and go further. Over-designing is the most common problem people tend to have in rocketry. You need more performance, so it seems reasonable to add more fuel and engines. But then you need to add more fuel to lift the weight of the new engines. Then you need more fuel to lift the weight of that fuel, then more engines to lift the weight of that fuel, then more fuel to lift the weight of those engines.... You're just chasing your tail, running around in circles.

It's far easier to improve a design by removing parts than by adding them. This dinky little thing got me to the Mun and back...

bp9nuIU.jpg

Lw9YM3v.jpg

gA2OrLw.jpg

Your rocket shows impressive attention to detail and some good engineering decisions but, frankly, I'd throw it away and start from scratch... making "minimal mass" the priority. Beyond sheer size, I see three problems that you will want to address...

All those fins and aero controls up front? Get rid of them. Drag up front destabilizes your ship in the atmosphere. Look at an arrow... where are the fletchings? On the tail. That keeps the pointy end out front, where you want it.

Don't cross fuel lines. If you make loops in the fuel flow, it screws up the logic and can result in unbalanced flow where some tanks drain faster than others. You never want a situation where an engine can see more than one path to a single tank, as the results are unpredictable.

Performance-wise, SRBs are only useful on the first stage. When cost becomes a factor, they might become useful for some upper-stage work but, for now, fire all your SRBs getting off the launch pad. Use liquid rockets for upper stages.

Edited by RoboRay

Am I the only one that can forsee a SRB MMM upon launch?

I guess, the central lower ones will overheat first, explode, let the others loose, they will slam into the upper boosters, and you will get your MMM. It's not like my kerbals didn't see that failure mode several times :)

Agreed, if you want people to see your content, don't make them jump through hoops just to get a glimpse of it.

- just go to imgur.com

- drag your images anywhere onto the webpage, then click start upload

- copy the code marked "BBCode (message boards & forums)" and place it in your forum post

...images show right in your post, with no sign-ups, downloads, external links or any other obstacles, just like this:

hwq1DIw.jpg

Bwahaha, what!? OMG. Bwahaha, what!?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.