What is your favourite sci-fi/irl spacecraft, and why?

Asmosdeus

Don't hate me, but mine is the Protoss Void Ray, closely followed by Mothership and the Carrier from SC2.

voidray.jpg

Mothership_SC2_Art1.jpg

27680-protoss-carrier-starcraft-ii-2560x1440-game-wallpaper.jpg

They're beautiful, and as a Diamond SC2 protoss player I know they're fun. Nothing is more satisfying than seeing your 30 void rays melt through enemy base :)

Wow! Lots of sloooow loading images. But hey, a fun thread. I'll start with United Planets Cruiser C57D. If you think you've seen this; surprise! Oh yeah, before Skywalker's blaster, before Sulu's viewscope, before Uhura's earpiece, before the Moog, before Naked Gun, there was ... you get it. Meanwhile this ship even arranges its own eclipses:

Und of course, score one for science; das ISV Venture Star:

Rocket sleds (precursors to rail guns), string, ... more string. Fireball XL5:

The UESC Marathon is Deimos, hollowed out:

NASA-Deimos-MarsMoon-19951003.jpg

It was used to reach and establish a human colony at Tau Ceti in Bungie's game "Marathon".

Edited by Dispatcher

• 8 months later...

USCM Dropship.

ALGP01a.jpg

Just what fun this would be to have. A hybrid spacecraft/helicopter. And armored enough that re-entry is a roller coaster ride instead of an all-out panic attack.

And the Valley Forge.

5477375011_1c0c8072a7_b.jpg

Scientifically thrown-out since we know now that we'd just store the DNA of all life on Earth and toss it into a tiny container, instead of going to the bother of having to keep an eco-system running. But such a beautiful romanticized concept.

Edited by vger

I had to think about this a while... there are so many to choose from. But in terms of how much this one impacted me as a kid, I have to go with the Eagle Lander, from the classic Space: 1999. I was 13 when this show was on the air, and this was the first ship that I thought truly looked like it belonged on the Moon. It screams function over beauty, and I still think it's one of the coolest, and most realistic, sci-fi ships ever created.

NS8uTW9.jpg

My top picks (sci-fi):

Hermes and other spacecraft fromThe Martian

Endurance and other spacecraft from Interstellar

Pegasus and other spacecraft from space odyssey: voyage to the planets

Constellation Aquila and 315p from Star Citizen

Discovery II http://naca.larc.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=20050160960

My top picks (irl):

ISS

Dragon v2

Space shuttle

I think I'd have to go with the Warlock class from Babylon 5:

2w7n9eb.jpg

Aside from, if you ask me, looking pretty cool, this ship is an absolute power house in the Babylon universe, particularly the twin cannons mounted in the nose. This ship represents a gigantic technical jump forward in capability, and is the first Earth Alliance ship that can truly hold her own, and even dominate, in battle against older, more advanced alien species like the Minbari.

As a very near runner up, Star Trek's Akira class:

296n2u8.jpg

I'm preferential to this style of federation ship that lacks the secondary hull seen in most designs, yet still retaining the set off warp nacelles and torpedo launcher. It is, visually, basically a modernized Miranda class (Wrath of Khan), and canonically one of the new battle oriented classes, along with the Defiant, Sovereign, and I believe Steamrunner (also a cool looking ship).

My favorite sci-if ship is the Hauler from Elite: Dangerous.

1280?cb=20150222133035

Small, agile, fast, cozy, and has lots of inside space for trade and diplomacy.

My favorite real life spacecraft is the x-37b. Mysterious, has wings and you could probably fit a person into there somehow.

100330-O-1234S-001.JPG

Edited by Kinglet

The Galactica for the same reasons than OP :

BSGBATTLE.jpg

Followed by the DSC-304 ships in the Stargate franchise because of its militaristic and functional appearance, also, metallic :

real_byMartinSteil2009-1600x1200.jpg

And, for 3rd, the USS Vengeance from Star Trek into Darkness because it looks blocky on the sides and very functional, also, metallic :

latest?cb=20130518131116&path-prefix=en

Thinking quickly, my favorite fictional surface-to-orbit spacecraft is the Orion II spaceplane from Space Odyessy.

latest?cb=20130223174329

Favorite fictional orbit-to-orbit spacecraft is split between the somewhat-realistic Red Dwarf...

The_Red_Dwarf_sapce_ship_as_seen_in_series_10.jpg

...and the thoroughly impractical Imperial I-class Star Destroyer.

latest?cb=20070925183046

As for real spacecraft, well, you have to go for Korolev's baby.

r-7_staging.JPG

Concepts? Well orion of course, imagine shooting through the atmosphere on a wave of nuclear detonations, imagine seeing that, the flashes of light slowly fading behind the craft leaving orange clouds in it's path, it would be absolutely beautiful to see, absolutely the most impressive sight ever seen.

Project+Orion+Direct+Ground+Launch.png

Now, for rockets that actually flew, the prize would have to go to the Soyuz or Proton M, both are wonderful spacecraft, and both are among the best in the world currently (until SpaceX upstages them)

Launch_Vehicle_%22Verticalization%22%2C_Proton-M.jpg

For fictional spacecraft, I would definitely agree on Constellation Aquila from Star Citizen. Its one of the ships I'm most looking forward to acquiring in that game.

Favorite movie spacecraft, I like ones that can transform, or have cool functions on them. I'm going to pick "Spaceballs 1".

spaceballonevy3.jpg

As for real life craft, I'd say the US space shuttle ranks highly on my list as well as the Apollo spacecraft. I think its sad we haven't had

a manned spacecraft out of low Earth orbit in decades. I hope we see Duna, err Mars missions in my lifetime.

Edited by Tianar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.