How does one... Take a screenshot?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi,

I'm playing in steam and F1 or F2 or F3 don't work. At least not in the situation I am currently in.

I have flown my first plane around over Kerbal. Done it for an hour or so of real time. Splashed down and it won't allow me to finish the mission and recover the craft. I would like to take a screen shot for you but no joy. Won't abort, go to space center or anything. Just bobs about looking sad.

Is steam totally new to you and have you loaded a very old copy of the game into steam or something?

P.S. F12 takes screen shots, it says, but I am now locked in the IVA mode which seems to be utterly useless and un-exitable so no real help and I can't get to the files because I'm lock in.....

Edited by Tim_the_Plumber

Hi,

I'm playing in steam and F1 or F2 or F3 don't work. At least not in the situation I am currently in.

I have flown my first plane around over Kerbal. Done it for an hour or so of real time. Splashed down and it won't allow me to finish the mission and recover the craft. I would like to take a screen shot for you but no joy. Won't abort, go to space center or anything. Just bobs about looking sad.

Is steam totally new to you and have you loaded a very old copy of the game into steam or something?

P.S. F12 takes screen shots, it says, but I am now locked in the IVA mode which seems to be utterly useless and un-exitable so no real help and I can't get to the files because I'm lock in.....

Press "C" to get out of IVA.

You brought up a 10-month-old thread just to ask us not to lock it? :) Though as it happens, there's no need to since the info in it is still current. So, wish granted!

That's not something you see every day! :D

Useful things to know for taking screenshots:

V: Switches camera. There are several modes which might please you.

The arrow keys work for rotation.

"+" and "-" zoom in and out.

Holding down the mouse wheel pans the camera when you move the mouse. (Why is there no key to reset this? :()

"M" goes to map view, and comes back if you're already there.

"C" goes to IVA and back.

Changing to map view, or IVA and back, might fix the panned camera. I have not tried it, nor noticed it before, but I haven't been paying attention to that in particular.

You may also have to hold Fn or FN to use the F1, F2 etc. keys. This is dependent on your keyboard layout and not the game itself. On laptops, you will generally need to.

Yes, I used to have to do this. But there is a solution: Go into your computer's BIOS on startup, generally F2 or F10 (Really spam these the moment you hit the power button!), and there's an "Action Groups" option. Turn it off to switch the functionality: Now, F1 will do what the program running says F1 will do, and Function + F1 will do whatever the computer says it should do, in my case, bring up Windows Help. Totally useless. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.