Gravity (Movie)

Zacho

According to the YouTube page, this fan-made trailer was made by stitching together the other trailers that have already been linked in this thread. :)

Well yeah, they stitched up the scenes in more or less chronological order...

Utter crap. They showed us 1 minute and 31 seconds and already I found five blatant errors and I'm sure I could have found more.

Look at the Earth. They're not even moving... they're just floating over one spot. Director probably doesn't know how orbits work.

Why don't they have their EVA visors down in sunlight? NASA is very careful about making sure astronauts have their visors down when working in sunlight to protect their vision and faces.

And why in the name of all things as holy as Frank Borman can we hear the explosions? Does he not realize that you can't hear sound in space?

Of course the ISS just decides, "Oh yeah, deorbiting and reentering sounds pretty cool right now. I'll go ahead and do that."

At 1:12, the astronaut doesn't have any form of visible life support. How is he alive?

Four words. IT. IS. A. MOVIE! Does it need 100% scientific accuracy if it makes metric **** tons of money? No, it doesn't. Besides, the movie could very well be taking artistic license with the locations of some of these objects in orbit (geo-stationary instead of LEO) to get the first one done. There are ways for that to happen in real life.

iDan - thanks for the info, it looked like that. The new clips below show the ISS in a deteriorating/abandoned state, which goes along with the de-orbit plot.

The CGI is incredible, it looks quite realistic. So much for that Hubble. Apparently the movie will be like this, without sound in space, the marketing guys added sounds to the original trailer.

I hope that one day Kerbals can "grapple" onto other kerbals in case one runs out of RCS fuel. That would be cool way to rescue them.

Another error I spotted from "Detached", why the hell is she using an MMU. They were banned after Columbia, allowing only tethered EVAs.

The lack of sound surprised me in the second trailer. I don't mind having sound in space in movies but it's a nice touch when you see something slam into something else with no sound. I think what deadshot said about the sound being added to the first trailer by the marketing guys is right.

Another error I spotted from "Detached", why the hell is she using an MMU. They were banned after Columbia, allowing only tethered EVAs.

They definitely aren't using the MMU; it's big, looks like the astronaut is sitting on a chair. Astronauts do wear a SAFER (Simplified Aid For EVA Rescue), which gives them some emergency mobility if their tether breaks. But it's only got about 3 m/s of delta-V. I suspect the movie supposes a future, very compact untethered EVA capability.

The premise, as far as I understand from this trailer:

Ah, what a beautiful Earth. Since we have spacesuits, I guess we can't really kiss and smooch so let's just look at the beauty of--OH CRAP EXPLOSIONS!!! Ahhhh! No! Well, now I'm stuck here... alone...

Yeah, I'm a bit pessimistic about the film.

Guest Aaack

I also noticed the complete absence of any pack on Sandra Bullock's back in one scene. But I'm sure it's a plot device, we just don't know why yet.

Edit: Why did they banned the MMUs?

I wonder if they manage to get back in the wrecked Shuttle, use its engines to do a plane change maneuver to get to the ISS, then try to use the SAFER for the remaining trip to the ISS. Unlikely to be possible in real life in those conditions.

While untethered EVA's are no longer in use, IRL every astronaut is still fitted with a SAFER for worst case scenarios. I guess only having one astronaut with a SAFER makes the movie more exciting. Like others said, there's some things here and there that are farfetched but you can tell the director tried to make it as realistic as possible.

Last thing - they definitely are dramatizing how astronauts would react. I doubt in real life they'd keep yelling "WHAT DO I DO??" and "YOU NEED TO FOCUS!!"

Edited by deadshot462

From wikipedia

Although the trailer has audible explosions in it, Cuarón has confirmed that scenes in space will be silent: "They put in explosions [in the trailer]. As we know, there is no sound in space. In the film, we don't do that."[13]

From wikipedia

Well it's nice to know there are still people in the film industry willing to defy conventions to make the kind of movie they want, but it's a shame that we may never see the return of trailers that fit the style of the film. Can't have a trailer for a serious movie without loud explosions and cut/quick fades to and from black every couple of seconds accompanied by a "Drrjjh!!!!" sound of some kind.

They were banned after Columbia, allowing only tethered EVAs.

Challenger, actually; the MMU's final mission was STS-51A (November 1984). After the accident, investigation showed that missions done with MMUs could also be done effectively with the RMS or traditional tethered EVAs; the extra risk posed by the MMU was considered unnecessary.

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4219/Chapter13.html, page 319

They definitely aren't using the MMU; it's big, looks like the astronaut is sitting on a chair. Astronauts do wear a SAFER (Simplified Aid For EVA Rescue), which gives them some emergency mobility if their tether breaks. But it's only got about 3 m/s of delta-V. I suspect the movie supposes a future, very compact untethered EVA capability.

Except the Shuttle program is retired now. So it couldn't be the extremely near future. Another issue I've noticed is the curvature of the Earth, at least in the first trailer. It seems a little too pronounced; the ISS is in a pretty low orbit (for several obvious reasons) and the curve from what I've seen in pictures is barely distinguishable. The problem is that many of the photos we see from the ISS were taken through "fish-eye" lenses, and everything, especially Earth since it's on a wider scale, seems more "curved" than it is.

I don't know how eccentric the ISS's orbit is, but if I'm wrong about the curvature error, please correct me.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.