What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

@KerbMav: Funny: I'm doing very similar stuff atm... I'll also stay with .23.5 until all my current missions are finished, and I postponed all planned new missions to .24.

Yesterday my first manned Moho mission returned. Two Kerbals had landed on Moho, three stayed in orbit. The return trajectory passed by the Mün at 50 km with approx. 3 km/s speed - an impressive sight from IVA in the Cupola module. I filmed everything, but the software I used for grabbing the first parts of the mission (recordMyDesktop) created non-standard files (keyframes not marked correctly), which I now have to recode in order to edit them, so it will take some time until I upload the video. Also, after switching screen recording software (to ffmpeg), the quality was rather low for some time (my fault), sadly including the landing...

Also, the first ships of the armada I sent to Eve had their encounter yesterday. For one of the tankers I obviously messed up the aiming and it ended up orbiting in the wrong sense of rotation, yet it had enough fuel to correct this. The rest of the armada, including a rover and lander, will have an Eve encounter within the next few ingame days. Then the refueling of the lander will begin, what means docking, more docking, and even more docking...

The ion probe to Laythe is still on its way, with a course correction planned in 2 years.

The Duna mission is ready to launch, yet I decided to postpone it until .24, what means that I might have to edit the ship... Maybe I'll simply rebuild it from scratch...

@KerbMav: Funny: I'm doing very similar stuff atm... I'll also stay with .23.5 until all my current missions are finished, and I postponed all planned new missions to .24.

what means that I might have to edit the ship... Maybe I'll simply rebuild it from scratch...

I spent hours moving parts around in three different designs for the Jool mission, I am not going to throw that away. :D

Yes, rebuild them, I am reading to many bad reports in the modding section about outdated data saved in craft files.

After some issues according to compatibility of 64 bit, my old save is broken, so I abondoned my old project:

1sikXaZ.png

For my new sandbox profile, whre I started to build new sophisticated instalations in da space:

XEqafFq.png

Fully working GPS system (Thanks for PakledHostage for his wonderful Figaro Global Navigation Satellite System and his explanation how to build wonder)

Now I'm still working with this little one:

VX0j1se.png

X1b7N7H.png

I don't think it's finished in even 40%, many launches are before me.

Just got my first space plane into orbit and safely home (woohoo!), figured it was the unused fuel I had using the jet engines on the wings weighing it down.

Swapped them for LFO tank and jettisoned when depleted.

Second plane is now on a rendezvous with a tanker which will take it and the plane to the mun or duna.. Can't decide which

I put a rover on Gilly........ Bad idea.....

http://i.imgur.com/tewNHT7.png

Yeah, for a Gilly rover, you need a version of the Armadillo from the Armageddon movie (RCS thrusters to KEEP YOU ON THE GROUND)

Though, you don't really need a lander for gilly, just park your ship close to it, and either use your 'Armadillo' rover, or just your suit rcs to go down there.

*edited* If fact I believe one of my manned landings, I did just that. Brought the ship to a relative halt ( not in orbit, just stopped ) above gilly 150-200 meters got out, rcs'd down to the surface, planted a flag, eva report, soil sample, waited a few minutes, waited a few more, then decided the ship wasn't coming down fast enough so I just rcs'd back up, got in saw that the ship has only accelerated to about .3 m/s in the 8-10 mins I had been out of it, and went back to kerbin.

Edited by Ruthgar

Made my first kerballed mun landing in .24 (real life has been busy) to fulfill "plant a flag" contract. In the process I built a new 2 stage lifter and 2 stage lander. First stage is SRBs that are discarded. Second stage is a skipper that follows a sub-orbital trajectory into the sea and is recoverable, and the lander is a tiny 1 man two-stage lander that drops fuel tanks and science modules during ascent. Loving .24.

Some part testing and some rescue missions. Due to recently researching and unlocking the FL-R10 monopropellant tank and the cylindrified one, I compared the prices and mass-fractions of the monopropellant tanks (other than the largest, the R1). The FL-R10 is the same price as the roundified, but has a lower dry mass and carries more fuel, so I replaced the roundified tank on my RescuerB standard orbital rescue ship with an R10. The R25 has twice the price and fuel quantity of the R10, but three times the dry mass, and the cylindrified is the same price and dry mass as the R25, but with one and a half times the fuel. So, until the R1, the most cost-effective and mass-effective monopropellant tank is the cylindrified.

XBmv90.png

RescuerC's capsule returning after a routine orbital rescue mission

Where am I going with this? Well, after Jeb's rescue ship in Mun orbit crashed instead of landing, I sent another, better one. While I was at it, I sent a monopropellant-driven satellite ship, and also one of the nonatmospheric science modules. That little satellite ship is my first experience with the O-10 engines, so I fit it with two cylindrified tanks for fuel.

gP3vu4.png

This Mun rescue mission has a number of part tests attached: first, the Rockomax SRBs and radial parachutes in flight, then the KR-2L in Kerbin orbit. Then, the Mainsail, Rockomax decoupler and 24-77 landed on Mun. As such, there is a small ascent stage consisting of the capsule, probe, docking port, 'chute, an FL-T100 and two 24-77s. Atop is the Mun satellite that will be left in Mun orbit.

6gJnTQ.png

CKuZN4.png

I put the KR-2L on an action group so that I could use it before it needed to be staged for the test. Also present are the Vernor engines, which helped turn and control the ship along with the large reaction wheels. You may note that I've used large numbers of the smallest battery, rather than using larger ones - that's because that's the most cost-effective way currently available to me (I don't know the prices of the Z-1k and Z-4k).

4thR9m.png

Here's the ship circularising into orbit. The vernors were very helpful in turning the ship - I disabled the monopropellant tanks so that I didn't use any of their fuel on RCS on the way up.

jN9U0f.png

XS0JoD.png

I wanted to send a science module, so I moved the ion tug (which actually still had 2900 xenon of its 3000) to rendezvous, then detached the satellite, piloting it on RCS over this short range to pick up the outermost science module: a non-atmospheric one. That leaves the science module ion tug with an atmospheric and two nonatmospheric, or ANN, as I renamed it.

vOtIAL.png

fBUDND.png

CmYtEL.png

Docked it back with the ship, having used a little over 10 monopropellant. I tried to split the monopropellant from the capsule evenly as I transferred it into the cylindrified tanks, but I didn't immediately disable them, so I don't know if it worked.

H6STxS.png

M193Ny.png

Burned for Mun, with a small adjustment part-way. The lift core was left on a Mun-collision course while the lander adjusted to get a periapse of 50km. I did some simple part testing and rescue missions (and failed utterly at aircraft) while I waited for the encounter.

rt4kcC.png

ojetyx.png

Circularised and left the satellite in a circular 50km orbit, then deorbited to land near Jeb.

dUd77w.png

5nW2Cr.png

hlz0fw.png

Jeb got out and took the science from the crashed pod. He also took the readings from the science module, and transmitted an Eva report from Near Mun and a crew report from the surface, thus completing the Explore Mun mission (and a Data from Mun orbit one). Then, liftoff.

rZ6qth.png

It's very satisfying to complete three top-tier test contracts with a single button-press.

w4yJZQ.png

MnRe7j.png

Got Jeb into a 50km circular orbit and began rendezvous and docking procedures with the satellite to avoid using up Jeb's remaining fuel. If all else fails, he'll be able to get out and push, but I'd rather not resort to that if I don't absolutely have to. I do want to leave the science module with the satellite, though. I'll finish the docking later, and then I've got another orbital rescue mission to do.

experience the awesome power of Jool aerobraking for the first time in it's full glory. Went from a 90 day intercept window with Jool's SOI to an orbit that has an apoapsis just outside of laythe orbit. WOW. And only expended 37 m/s of delta/v 33 to drop my PE to 120km, and then 4 afterwards to raise it.

Screwed up a second Minmus mission. Today started off with a manned repair trip to my mapping satellite, but I failed to learn from that lesson by first launching a Minmal comms network and well...two out of three probes managed to soft land before they lost comms. Time to send out a second manned mission to fix both of these (while grabbing its own science too...) So much for my planned quick science grab for long range remotetech dishes!

screenshot53_zps84cf7294.png

I'm pretty new to KSP, but I'm already perfecting my upside-down landings. The secret: too many parachutes. :)

It's more to down with where the weight is, the side with more weight goes down, just put the parachutes above the CoM so it'll land right side up, err down.