What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I landed Jeb on the Mun.

WKUESb7.jpg

Yeah, despite the countless hours I've put into the game (literally; I play the GOG version without Galaxy so I don't know how long I've played) I'd never actually done this. Valentina was the one who made the first Mun landing, and I didn't notice until I arrived at Duna that Jeb seemed to be lagging behind his whiteshirt colleagues in level. He'd also never landed on Minmus, but I took care of that before he got into the re-entry capsule on the way back from Duna.

No pictures again, but I've timewarped ahead to the Earth->Mars transfer window, and sent two vessels on an intercept trajectory: the (Future) Mars Central Station will enter orbit and USR-III (Unmanned Science Rover) will (in theory...) land on Mars in a few hundred days, game time.  It will be my first attempt landing on anything in RSS other than Earth and the Moon.  I'll likely send a CommSat constellation and a ScanSat at the next transfer window, so I have consistent coverage of the red planets surface.  I will likely also upgrade my current SkyCrane for better efficiency once I get some science back from Mars.

After spending about a year at Mars, three of the Kerbals will climb into the return pod and (hopefully) return to Earth safe and sound.  Bob is considering staying to study the ubiquitous scientific discoveries there... but we might send another scientist to join him anyway.

I've also been continuing to refine my autorover script.  Soon, it will have a few different modes: target tracking, waypoint tracking (for contracts), guided (hold last course), and un-guided (automates acceleration only), as well as the ability to swap between them using a gui (graphical user interface).

Looking forward to roving around Mars!  Assuming that the heat shield holds, the chutes slow it down even slightly, and the remaining fuel is sufficient... :)

Edit: Oh, I also put a probe into LEO, which I plan to send to Saturn at the next transfer window.  Considering sending a probe to each possible planet... which is easier said than done!  The Earth escape and Intercept burns will take a combined 7.7km/s of dv to reach Saturn orbit!

Edited by Slam_Jones
Grammar

4 minutes ago, Slam_Jones said:

No pictures again, but I've timewarped ahead to the Earth->Mars transfer window, and sent two vessels on an intercept trajectory: the (Future) Mars Central Station will enter orbit and USR-III (Unmanned Science Rover) will (in theory...) land on Mars in a few hundred days, game time.  It will be my first attempt landing on anything in RSS other than Earth and the Moon.  I'll likely send a CommSat constellation and a ScanSat at the next transfer window, so I have consistent coverage of the red planets surface.  I will likely also upgrade my current SkyCrane for better efficiency once I get some science back from Mars.

Looking forward to roving around Mars!  Assuming that the heat shield holds, the chutes slow it down even slightly, and the remaining fuel is sufficient... :)

Insufficient chutes was one of the issues I faced dropping my rover down on Duna (it did just that, drop, like a rock), so a re-engineering is in order. Maybe the next shot will work, a little engine assistance couldn't hurt either.

I put my SCANsat and CommSat together in a single mission. Worked great. The CommSats (3) are lightweight and simple (LV-909 Terrier powered), and the SCANsat probe is ion powered - capable of doing radar, multi, SAR, and an M700 Survey.

1 minute ago, LordFerret said:

Insufficient chutes was one of the issues I faced dropping my rover down on Duna (it did just that, drop, like a rock), so a re-engineering is in order. Maybe the next shot will work, a little engine assistance couldn't hurt either.

I put my SCANsat and CommSat together in a single mission. Worked great. The CommSats (3) are lightweight and simple (LV-909 Terrier powered), and the SCANsat probe is ion powered - capable of doing radar, multi, SAR, and an M700 Survey.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of lol.  I've splatted a few rovers on Duna before, but haven't tried Mars yet... Luckily, the thrusters attached to the skycrane are pretty beefy, so I will likely do a suicide burn one way or another.  As long as aerobraking and chutes reduce my incoming speed by 1km/s or so, I should be fine.

Also, I probably should have loaded a few satellites onto the station before I sent it away from Earth... I should be able to next time, though :wink: 

Weeeeelp, went to work again today and got my kerbals home from a duna mission. I have a screenshot here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1196232078

I didn't have any other screenshots, sadly... but hey! At least they got home.

Haven't done anything else yet, but I might soon.

Started work on my first official base on minmus that I actually plan on finishing (rather then as a side project that becomes desolate, this one has its own save dedicated to it!)

https://imgur.com/a/VRHm1

being made with various mods and landed using 40% hyperedit, 50% mechjeb and 10% really big wheels that then fall off and get deleted.

I replaced the original solar array of my space station after a kraken visit.... I think the problem was link with the solar panel movement.

y4mIPS7_ZVbDiCk2pUMFuaVjD7vZL7Yw4hF15Tp5

The new design with ring of solar panels, much more pieces, but no kraken visit. I just have to put a second set of rings.

y4mttwjkM_KVcpsFj9Ti_HH7nOcU2AqH1Oz9_0CY

21 hours ago, Galileo said:

Hit F1 to take a screenshot. In your KSP folder, there is a screenshot folder. Upload a screenshot from said folder to any image hosting site, like imgur.com, and share the image here. This way you are posting much higher quality images for us to see.

F1? Not F12?! O.o

https://imgur.com/a/4zoqi

So, what's this. I have landed a small ship with 4 kerbals on the Moon. I planned to plant a flag, walk for 5 minutes and fly away. But, when I tried to fly away... *drums* ...I didn't lift. My engines were good to LAND, but for fly away... They were too small to lift this heavy ship. Then the ЛКМ (Лунная Колонизаторская Миссия for Russian) or MCM (Mun Colonization Mission for English) began.

Edited by FeofileGrotter

13 minutes ago, FeofileGrotter said:

I will post links, because I can't register on Imgur (error 403) and Photobucket needs $399 to make a third-image host!

So, what's this. I have landed a small ship with 4 kerbals on the Moon. I planned to plant a flag, walk for 5 minutes and fly away. But, when I tried to fly away... *drums* ...I didn't lift. My engines were good to LAND, but for fly away... They were too small to lift this heavy ship. Then the ЛКМ (Лунная Колонизаторская Миссия for Russian) or MCM (Mun Colonization Mission for English) began.

ibb.co has to be the most spammy looking link I've seen in a while. You should try harder. Imgur is quite easy to use and way more legit. Error 403 means you didn't provide proper authentication. Create a valid account and you can post images for free.

1 hour ago, FeofileGrotter said:

THIS IS LINK!!!

I will post links, because I can't register on Imgur (error 403) and Photobucket needs $399 to make a third-image host!

- snip -

1 hour ago, bobcook said:

ibb.co has to be the most spammy looking link I've seen in a while. You should try harder. Imgur is quite easy to use and way more legit. Error 403 means you didn't provide proper authentication. Create a valid account and you can post images for free.

Yes, this ^

Go to https://www.gmx.com/ and create yourself a free email account, and use it to register Imgur with. If you don't like GMX, there's plenty of other free email hosts out there to pick from... Gmail, etc.

A while back Imgur blocked my email host, because people were using it to create accounts to access Imgur and then do massive image dumps. Not a bright idea, ruins it for everyone. So, yea, I'm currently using GMX until they unblock my main.

Edit:
Update - A look around the web is kind of telling me that ibb.co is a blocked and blacklisted domain out of Panama, because of its owners allowing malware and ransomware to be distributed through it.

Edited by LordFerret
did a little homework