What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Finally succeeded in developing a reliable heavy-lift vehicle in the current version, and began lobbing large fuel depots into space for later moving into various orbits.

EDIT: Also, a super-heavy nuclear tug for moving them. However, my initial tug lacked a docking port to connect to the fuel depots... derp. So, to avoid radioactive contamination of Kerbin, and given that it had no other use without the port, I sent it on a mission to the stars.

Scrapping an obsolescent shuttle on Minmus. Recycling ships is fantastic, no more deorbits just to get rid of stuff.

View from the tower top camera. If only we had slave rendering processes I'd leave everything streaming, all the cameras on static ships are hooked to telemachus.

9736127102_604b9dc187_c.jpg

I made it to Duna!!! Without Kethane, I would not have made it with this ship. I needed more Delta-V than what the ship carried. Thanks to converting Kethane into fuel during the burn, I had enough to make orbit with some to spare. Now to convert the rest, scan the surface and get to mining. Then to do the same with Ike.

screenshot9.png

Developing a tutorial for a demo I will be doing Sunday at a local military and space museum. It will show them some simple steps in building and flying rockets to start their Kerbal Space program using the demo or the game. I will demo the game using a gaming rated laptop and a 40 inch flat screen TV connected with HDMI to the laptop. Expect some new faces on the forum after Sunday.

Ships to build and fly are a single stage sub orbital and a two stage orbiter. Demoed will be the construction, launching, gravity turn, orbiting, landing, and recovery.

Found out that even though chutes on the side do work as shown in picture below. That they have a problem of dropping the engines off.

This is the reason I keep a few superstrut mods around. Vessels that land like that just don't hold on to engines happily.

Today, inspired by watching a bird land on our TV aerial, grabing on with its feet, I attempted to land a plane on the VAB the same way, with KAS grappling hooks.

Didn't work.

If I had better flying skills, something like it may be feasible.

Instead:

wl8SLYz.jpg

I took Shtuule for its second flight. The mission was to put a spy communication and TV satellite into a tundra Orbit. First one I've attempted.

Not sure if these kinds of vessels are practical for satellites launches really, it depends on the prices of engines vs fuel and fuel tanks.

j6FMnDu.jpg

"Technicians" helping set up the equipment in space is one argument for this shuttle.

Then, I decided to catch the kerbals in the cargo bay. Rescue practise, I guess.

Landed several Km north of KSC. While climbing over the ship, two kerbals got stuck in the bay. Added "ladder" to the improvements for next time.

dKCneyV.png

Even if it's not cheaper in the long run, a shuttle like this might be good publicity.

Kerbals would look up as it returns from doing whatever and say to each other- "That's what gave us satellite tv and satellite phones!"

So far, I haven't bothered setting up any satellites to give them the benefits of the space age. Maybe I will with this.

Edited by Tw1

Got the nuke tug/ rescue ship up at last (it weighs about 150 tonnes and that's stretched my small set of propulsion mods)

he she is on the launch pad (no the fairings aren't essential, but I liked the look)

PL5oCm6.jpg

Once in orbit I refuelled her, sent up the KAS module, docked that, and when a staging glitch blew the one k command pod into a nasty orbit perfomed a 3km EVA to get Dozer back onboard (he's having korlicks in the hitchhiker pod).

He she is then, finished and fueled and ready to go rescue the powerless tumbling kethane miner probe in orbit around the Mun

ikOFqWv.png

So we drop into orbit, line up on the probe, and so far every time we've got within about 200m, the probe has mysteriously exploded into lots of fast small pieces. ho hum. Time to build a new miner probe I think.

This is the reason I keep a few superstrut mods around. Vessels that land like that just don't hold on to engines happily.

Yeah. Most likely will have to get a mod that has that.

Made and succefully landed this SSTO on Kerbin. Found out. I should make sure that my nose is pointing dead center skywards. Just so all the gears can support the 7.4 m/s landing. 4F7BF9C3A35D932A18F1655332FA91222B55F540

Going to use this as a test bed for the new science parts. If I'm able to. Regardless will be making multi-staged rockets as well for the new science parts. Figured the science parts might be between 0.5 to 1.5 for the small one and 1.125 to 3 in mass for the largest one shown in the 0.22 demo vid.

I docked an unpowered science pallet to JebLab-Kerbin by gently lobbing it at the space station and then using the space station's maneuvering jets to orient the docking ports correctly to 'catch' it. This was very difficult and nerve-wracking but ultimately successful.

I also tested a new 3-man orbiter. After an unmanned flight with a probe core on top of the 3-man capsule, I was satisfied enough to do a manned test flight. However, I forgot to replace the probe core with a parachute. Fortunately, I had enough gas left to do an emergency powered landing (after letting the atmosphere eat most of my speed). I ran out of fuel a bit high, but fortunately the engine and tank helped cushion the capsule enough. No Kerbals KIA on the flight... or in the VAB afterwards, despite the best efforts of Commander Shepson Kerman to locate the engineers responsible for sending his crew into space without parachutes.

my favorite thing is when i go to rebuild a craft, especially armor plating, and i see the bad work i did a long time ago (before then) and I say "damn! who did this shoddy work! This is terrible... oh wait. that's my work" :D