What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I actually did this particular thing last night, but I figure I'll put it here anyways.

I nabbed that replacement Mun lander which I had disabled through my own stupidity (see earlier post).

Spoiler

zbed02i.jpgzxG38Qw.jpg

The following actually did happen today.

I did a couple launches of my prototype reusable booster core, Firepillar l.

Spoiler

4NpDk5E.jpgfhxQLhr.jpg

I don't have any pics of it, but despite undershooting the KSC and ending up on this slope, nothing exploded. The parachutes allowed it to gently tip over onto its airbrakes, which I deployed while it was falling over. If I can get better at aiming these things for the KSC, I might dispense of most of the parachutes and go for fully powered landings. Or I might dispense of the landing legs and do landings on the engine bell. More likely the first one though.

I also designed an unmanned shuttle for a rescue + salvage contract, only to realize that with my current technology, I don't know a good way to get it to orbit. My new Firepillar l  could technically lift it (it's rated for about 21 tons when outfitted with the proper set of solid boosters), but I can just see myself steering it a little bit too far from prograde and having the whole thing flip and possibly disintegrate.

Spoiler

nBCiT9J.jpg

Also, don't worry about the fuel tank being way at the back, I designed it so that the COM and COL will be in the right places during reentry.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139
added detail

I made my first Mod for KSP

Racing wheels :D I'm just resizing existing squad parts and tweaking their values as new their own part but here's the result of my Car Wheel prototype. Which is really still a bit big but I plan to make a smaller thigh height wheel next. I think of this one as more like a Truck or more accurately an F1 car wheel given the top speed of this one.

So for your entertainment I present to you Ken Kerblock rippng up the KSC.
LOtl91T.png

Spoiler

Steering works. That's a plus.

aI12Ka2.png

Time to hit the test ummm track?

VDv6sWU.png

Moving kinda fast.

kF4zDUX.png
Wait What???? (160+mph)
vsksyFl.png

Doing a loop of the tracking station. Track this Nerds!!!
0sMSPgk.png

They spotted me time to make my getaway. Woohoo!!!
6ijIb9d.png
Going airborne.
Gn9voCa.png

YeeeeeeeeeHaaaawwwwwww!!
MVckHi2.png

Coming in for landing.
eTt6TvO.png

And the bounce.
nTKVj66.png

Whoah!!!!!
W8sbQmO.png
Phew. And no sas torque to help but he made it. Now off on an adventure till the next Kymghana.
Zd6wv4S.png

It's fun as hell. Why aren't parts like this standard?

Edited by ThatHomelessGuy
Forgot one

Launched what will probably be the final voyage of the Odyssey. She is 96 years old, but the engineers have maintained her well, and her engines fire as efficiently as the day they were replaced last week. The crew watches Rald slide past 1400km below them, the last glimpse of home they will have for quite a long time. Time for a snooze then.

Sixteen years pass before the computer wakes the crew to perform the engine burn that will capture them into Neidon orbit. Leo Kerman takes a 'closer' look while Lyssa, Jay and Ellie plot an intercept for Nisse, a small, bright moon made mostly of crushed ice. Seems like a good time to crack open a nice single malt then!

7dGd4a6.jpg

Descent onto Nisse is as gentle as can be. About the size of Minmus, the world presents no challenge to Ulysses' ultra-advanced engines, although the rough terrain does need some careful piloting in order to identify a flat landing zone. After such a long journey, the crew are keen to stretch their legs a bit, so they take a short jump to an adjacent biome.

ZTxz8Q3.jpg

With the precious icy rocks gathered and stashed in the freezer next to the vodka, a course is plotted that will bring them closer to Neidon and the orbit of Thatmo. So far is Nisse from its purple parent that half a year elapses until the Odyssey finally reaches the descending node, but the up side of this is that the huge plane change only costs a couple of hundred m/s.

CCz6UIk.jpg

Thatmo turns out to be particularly pretty. A world of nitrogen ice, it shines brightly even in the pale light of a distant star - the sun. After mapping the surface, the crew transfers once more to Ulysses and prepares for descent onto the cold surface below.

(Ed: I realise I've never asked - do you folks prefer a 2x2 format, or a 2x3 as I've been using more often lately?)

I made a thing with the thing I made. :D
I also confirmed that downforce = traction.

nHPp1K5.png

Spoiler

mpUscni.png

All about that speed.
oa6zWMa.png
Cornering at speed.
n5q152A.png

Neeeeeeeaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww <- Jeb having fun making noise.
3q5jR6T.png

Not even skittish.
x0aLF2Q.png

Yeah baby You thought you could track Ken Kerblock you won't track me.....
5DRLxz5.png

This is so much better than hanging out IN the VAB.
V7WkGSx.png

squeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllll!!!!!
X0yGO3x.png
Tunnel of high speed love coming up! Gulp!!
DVthcTd.png
I can't believe I made it.
BWXcd2y.png

And I finally lost it. Along with that front wing.
MTGsfmG.png

Spoiler

Spoiler Spoiler : This took some practice before I was able to pull this off.

It's still good It's still good. It's a little slippy but it's still good.
UkwuLbK.png

Jeb : *sigh*
vY9SZ4j.png

Righto let's get another.
RwVeJIr.png

1 minute ago, RoboRay said:

Still doing better than ESA!

Shot's fired. No prisoners reported alive.

In fairness even with my limited knowledge of space flight and avionics I could have told them that the radar altimeter was going to fail in a damned dust storm. Especially at those velocities. What did they expect for the dust to magically not pile up on the underside as it flowed over the decent module? Even a digital camera freaks out with it's autofocus on a windy day at the beach. O rings and dust are going to be the death of humanity.

I picked up Mabeth Kerman, and after getting annoyed with a "Find the source of temperature fluctuations" contract for using up the fuel I was going to use to hop to the Mun's Canyons, I discovered some weird kraken that makes my lander tip over. :huh:pyxtAlj.jpguExNJAD.jpg2YOo481.jpg

This was after sitting still on the surface for about 2 minutes... it will do this if SAS is on too, it just takes a bit longer because the SAS tries to resist it.

I will have to investigate further to see if this was just some one-time bug or if this spot on the Mun is home to some bizarre lander-flip anomaly.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

39 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

I picked up Mabeth Kerman, and after getting annoyed with a "Find the source of temperature fluctuations" contract for using up the fuel I was going to use to hop to the Mun's Canyons, I discovered some weird kraken that makes my lander tip over. :huh:pyxtAlj.jpguExNJAD.jpg2YOo481.jpg

This was after sitting still on the surface for about 2 minutes... it will do this if SAS is on too, it just takes a bit longer because the SAS tries to resist it.

I will have to investigate further to see if this was just some one-time bug or if this spot on the Mun is home to some bizarre lander-flip anomaly.

I am guessing that you have a save and can come back?

Try it with the legs retracted. The engine can safely touch the ground.

I am guessing some leg issue with a non-zero sideways speed ( Like say0.00013 m/s:rolleyes:). If that's the case once stabilized you could re-extend the gear.

EDIT: Last thought. I have found that on hills is you rotate the craft with the SAS, the ship rotate of course but also goes down hill and finds a better resting place. IE Flatter.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

Learned an important lesson about Thatmo...

qkXGY0N.jpg

...you can't land it like a plane. Even with low gravity, the wispy atmosphere just doesn't do enough to control your vertical speed once you're below ~125m/s, which is pretty scary over rough terrain. But that's why we have some powerful Space Y thrusters on the bottom, which are more than enough to allow VTOL here, and Ulysses touches down gently at the equator - which turns out to be the polar biome.

Waiting for a fresh sunrise to un-freeze the thermometer, the crew takes advantage of Ulysses godlike engine efficiency and takes a hop down towards the south pole - which turns out to be the midlands biome. The crew are beginning to suspect that their maps are upside down. The terrain here is rougher, and Ulysses' powerful anterior vernors are used to provide a quick burst of retro-thrust in order to allow a vertical descent onto one of the few flat areas.

RsQR7Vr.jpg

Sciences are gathered, nitrogen-snow angels are made, and beer is chilled. Which turns out to be an error, since it expands and cracks the bottles, leaving our crew to make the ascent stone cold sober. Scary times. Although River finds them even scarier when she goes for an EVA report and finds Ulysses running away from her. Fortunately the faint wisps of atmosphere at this altitude are no match for her jetpack and she scrambles back aboard no worse for wear.

Back in orbit, Thatmo treats the crew to a sunset show as they dock with the Odyssey once more.

hxZNNJO.jpg

Quite a few years pass until Kerbin is sighted. Indeed, so many that the Odyssey decides it is now 159 years old, which doesn't tally with the travel time of this mission. The engineering team blames the computer team for poor software. The computer team blames the pilots for slamming the computers around too much. The pilots don't particularly care as long as the navigation systems still work.

Temporal oddities aside, the crew double and triple check that all the precious surface samples are stored in the Ulysses' overhead lockers, then detach from the mothership, dropping down to an 80x80 orbit so's to ensure a gentle re-entry. Ulysses doesn't really need this level of care, but nobody wants to break one of the space rocks and get sent back to fetch another one.

Year 200, day 30, 00:18 in the morning (or just about lunchtime, judging by the sky) the crew set foot upon tarmac for the first time in decades. Turns out, nothing has changed.

Or has it? Perhaps our bold crew do not yet suspect the cataclysmic repercussions that their return is about to release upon kerbalkind...

Spoiler

q6B6le3.jpg

Warp speed, Mister Skott.

Edited by eddiew

Since the ion thruster turned out to be pretty inadequate, I looked into Firespitter and found there is a preliminary version for KSP 1.2.  So, I redesigned my folding-wing Kite probe-plane for folding electric propellers.

FSUgR2q.png

HoGRYVk.png

mLFrGm1.png

llFOiuf.png

It can cruise at 15km on Kerbin doing 250 m/sec, so I think it will do well at Duna.  There's enough LFO onboard to run the fuel cells for over five hours of flying.

5 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:

I am guessing that you have a save and can come back?

Try it with the legs retracted. The engine can safely touch the ground.

I am guessing some leg issue with a non-zero sideways speed ( Like say0.00013 m/s:rolleyes:). If that's the case once stabilized you could re-extend the gear.

EDIT: Last thought. I have found that on hills is you rotate the craft with the SAS, the ship rotate of course but also goes down hill and finds a better resting place. IE Flatter.

ME

I had a quicksave from when I landed there and I loaded it several times and got the same results. After restarting the game the issue went away though. :) The lander is now docked with Mun Station l in LMO, awaiting the arrival of a tanker.

Anyways, even if I hadn't had a quicksave to load with the thing upright, the RCS is powerful enough to right it.

2 hours ago, RoboRay said:

Since the ion thruster turned out to be pretty inadequate, I looked into Firespitter and found there is a preliminary version for KSP 1.2.  So, I redesigned my folding-wing Kite probe-plane for folding electric propellers.

FSUgR2q.png

It can cruise at 15km on Kerbin doing 250 m/sec, so I think it will do well at Duna.  There's enough LFO onboard to run the fuel cells for over five hours of flying.

Uh oh... The air on Duna is so thin that the electric propeller will not give the same trust... I am not sure if that plane will be able  to fly on Duna... Glide is sure, it seem a good design. 

Now I am not sure, but I think that the pressure on the surface of Duna is the pressure on Kerbin at 30 or 45 km.

Edited by obi_juan

Soo, first of all I've been playing career, and not taking many screenshots so that's why I haven't uploaded much. D'oh! Anyway, I've started my customary "take advantage of Minmus' science" phase. While Val waited for Minmustation 1 to receive a fuel depot, she started reading the spec manual for the Munbus that brought her station's resident scientist and rescue adopttee Leie Kerman. There was a contract to put a flag on Minmus dang it, and she wasn't going to wait for a dang lander to get designed! So... this happened:

5g9bi5H.png

Later on after a few more Mun probes, SpaceM finally got a contract to send a probe to Duna. I seriously overbuilt this thing - it can certainly go on to Ike next. But even with that massive antenna, it still only gets two bars at Duna! Maybe once I upgrade my ground stations...

mNqpMyT.png