What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 hour ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

Hmmm... by the time you got the warp drives, you have completed most of your goals... I have it already despite only having probes sent to Aden (long story why Aden from Xen's pack orbit's Kerbin :P ) and the Mun, Jool, Sarnus and Eeloo and Urlum, Polta and Iber (yet another long story why Iber from Xen's pack is around Urlum:P ). I don't think I have made any manned flights yet. Whoops. xD

That's one thing though about the Warp Drive that I don't get. How to actually slow down around your destination. I went to Duna but was going at 10km/s!! Thank god it was a test flight. xD

I'd say you should try Galileo's pack or even any pack that changes the stock system like Uncharted Lands or New Horizons. I would like to try it, but although I have 24gb and memory is NEVER an issue now (accidentally went up to 9000MB once... despite that horrendous accident, no crashes O.o ) my graphics card, and pretty much my PC, in general, is getting to around 3 years old now, so I have SVE running at 20fps. It's alright, but from what I've seen, Galileo's pack is EXTREMELY detailed, so I would prefer to get a new graphics card first. Instead of getting a new PC I would prefer to keep this one going for as long as possible. :P

And also, just so I have something to contribute, I will upload something soon, and explain why different moons from Xen's pack are orbiting around OPM planets :P

I increased the cost of the warp drive to 100,000 science though. And when that was still too small, then gave myself an RP reason to visit every planet and moon before I could unlock it. Researching the warp drive was the last goal, so's I could declare kerbals an interplanetary species and end the career. Never intended to spend more than a few hours flying with it :)

To slow down: first, do your best to match your momentum with the target planet before you go there. I chose to conserve angular momentum, so my ideal was a circular orbit around the sun, and then warp radially outwards to meet my planet. I didn't get it right, but meeting Moho at just 2km/s was pretty good - usually takes 5 with a conventional arrival. I think I met Jool at about 4km/s on the edge of it's SoI, but since Jool can really pull you back, warped to PE, let it slow me down on the way out, then warped back to PE and repeated. Wasn't at all hard to get a capture with just the warp drive, and from there it was all fiddling to arrive at a Laythe intercept. Repeated the gravity assist trick, warping back to it's PE about 5 times and eventually it snagged me.

Failing all of that, fiddle, a lot, on your way to your target. The nearer your orbit is to its, the slower you will pass it. Don't just beam straight from Kerbin to Duna, else you can expect to have to compensate for the difference in the two planets' speeds when you arrive. 

And I specifically bought a new GPU for SVE+SVT, so I'm good there :wink: 

On 16. oktober 2016 at 0:40 AM, RoboRay said:

I sent another mission to Laythe...  this time to drop off a rover.

6Dx8h3D.png

okkK8be.png

Full mission album:  http://imgur.com/a/s5RgE

Wow! This is a really nice craft, and a good idea. The craft is both light, useful and it even looks quite sleek. And the way the bay works as landinggear too, it's brilliant.:D

Edited by Flamingo

5 minutes ago, eddiew said:

I increased the cost of the warp drive to 100,000 science though. And when that was still too small, then gave myself an RP reason to visit every planet and moon before I could unlock it. Researching the warp drive was the last goal, so's I could declare kerbals an interplanetary species and end the career. Never intended to spend more than a few hours flying with it :)

To slow down: first, do your best to match your momentum with the target planet before you go there. I chose to conserve angular momentum, so my ideal was a circular orbit around the sun, and then warp radially outwards to meet my planet. I didn't get it right, but meeting Moho at just 2km/s was pretty good - usually takes 5 with a conventional arrival. I think I met Jool at about 4km/s on the edge of it's SoI, but since Jool can really pull you back, warped to PE, let it slow me down on the way out, then warped back to PE and repeated. Wasn't at all hard to get a capture with just the warp drive, and from there it was all fiddling to arrive at a Laythe intercept. Repeated the gravity assist trick, warping back to it's PE about 5 times and eventually it snagged me.

Failing all of that, fiddle, a lot, on your way to your target. The nearer your orbit is to its, the slower you will pass it. Don't just beam straight from Kerbin to Duna, else you can expect to have to compensate for the difference in the two planets' speeds when you arrive. 

And I specifically bought a new GPU for SVE+SVT, so I'm good there :wink: 

Oh. Wow, that's not a bad idea actually... Man, I should've done that. >.<

I found that the Warp Drive's throttle is a bit hard to control too. It goes really slowly and then the lightest tap of the shift key and it really hurtles you towards what you're trying to go to. :P

Yeah, I might have just beamed straight from Kerbin to Duna... -v-;

Man, you're lucky! I recently added 25 euros to my Steam account and got a case for my phone, and I might be getting a screen protector soon too so I can't buy a GPU any time. Unless they aren't as expensive as I think they would be. The problem is though I don't know what one to get. I don't know any good ones that are better than my current one and are cheap. :P

58 minutes ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

The problem is though I don't know what one to get. I don't know any good ones that are better than my current one and are cheap. :P

What do you have now? I picked up a nvidia 1060, perfect for the few games I play at full hd. Ksp seems to be cpu limited now, but I won't do better than my overclocked i5 there.... but sounds like 1.2 is faster :)

20 hours ago, kraden said:

@eddiew it seems to me that Thatmo is intended to have an orientation like that of Uranus, where the poles face laterally in comparison to most bodies. This means that each pole nearly directly faces the sun once per year. That would explain the biome you were seeing. :)

Sorry, just noticed this ^^;  Yeah, I think that was the intent, but the KSP engine doesn't support it. However... two circular regions named "poles" and a rotation speed of literally nothing would have worked out better. The definition of a pole is the centre of rotation, so if it's a band around the equator... then it's the equator :) 

On 17.10.2016 at 5:10 AM, Odonian said:

qhLYP7M.png

JglcLC8.png

Today I brought a 257,609 ton asteroid into a 5,000km orbit around Kerbin, using RoverDude's orion nuclear pulse engines and starlifter SAS rings to keep everything stable. The 1.2 autostrutting feature is fantastic, in 1.1.x this setup would have shaken itself apart or wobbled uncontrollably. I hope to build a refueling station into this asteroid, for an alternative to refuelling at Minmus without having to change inclination before the transfer from Kerbin.

Also, I guess, I joined the forums (I've been lurking for around a year). Hi!

Using the orion myself I'm impressed, also pretty shocked this worked at all. How large charges are you using and how high g force at peak. 

I'm happy this works:
Si44uwjh.png
Orion engine then the ship section with passenger cabin, fuel for refueling and for secondary engines. Mobile Ike base with greenhouse and lab, this is also used on the orion itself. 
Workshop for making smaller parts, got the mod after the orion or I would not need the probe and satellite cluster. 
Finally the duna modular science tug. It can use the crew cabin to land 6 kerbals or land the ore module for contract. Main purpose is gathering science from Duna and Ike. 

L4l9yoQh.png
12 minutes to reach 20 km/s Duna in 37 days, this alows for an month long stay until Kerbin overtakes Duna around the sun and I return. 

1 hour ago, eddiew said:

Sorry, just noticed this ^^;  Yeah, I think that was the intent, but the KSP engine doesn't support it. However... two circular regions named "poles" and a rotation speed of literally nothing would have worked out better. The definition of a pole is the centre of rotation, so if it's a band around the equator... then it's the equator :) 

Oh I didn't pick up on it's shape as a band. I wonder now why it wasn't set up as you described if that was the intent. Anyways, it's been fun seeing your missions progress. I kind of hope you choose to use Galileo's planet pack for your next career as I will be doing the same and like others have said, your ship designs can be inspirational. :) 

"School trip". After the visit to the Minmus base, all 16 seats were occupied.

Question: What to do, if you need your craft streamlined on launch, but draggy on reentry?

Answer: KIS and an engineer with a screwdriver.

Before:

G5ahV5o.png

After:

9PiI9Yz.png

Other than that, over the recent days:

- Went to Minmus in a dinghy

ZJDSYv8.png

Returned science from the surface, while the guys in the rover continue camping on Great Flats

EnNjroP.png

Rescued more kerbals

ejram7p.png

(some of them really badly stuck... I mean you DON'T deflate these things with kerbals inside!)

BmO4lm0.png

Then I tested the JetWing from the Buffalo mod

ZZSS7Zv.png

JizbryE.png

Since the tests appeared promising, I proceeded to what I do the best: misusing the part.

T1h0jEf.png

yIWrZcS.png

When the flier appeared promising, I packed it onto a satellite and sent it to Duna.

yXIGz26.png

I unlocked the gravitometers and sent a pair to the minmus science crew. Simultaneously, I found my ESP SRB is awesome.

Vqw86U2.png

And that brings us up to today's school trip.

IGccHAG.png

That's all, folks!

The Mun/Minmus science farm projects are in full swing; the only slightly disappointing thing is I haven't had an excuse to refuel the landers yet; the initial supply of LH2/LOX has held up, and it takes a long time for the labs to chew through the data I return. The science has been put to good use, though, delivering RTGs, ion engines, advanced rockets, and all sorts of other goodies. Most of what I'm doing now is just waiting for my Duna flotilla to reach Duna.

I've designed my second-largest booster yet, the 550 tonne Sarnus V, replacing the 950 tonne Sarnus IV, both of which deliver approximately 25 tonnes to Kerbin escape. Improved RealFuels engine tech level explains part of it, but the biggest improvement is probably in the first stage, where I replaced an inelegant cluster of 5 Mainsails and 4 Linebacker SRBs with a single methane-powered Space-Y Moa cluster and two KW Rocketry X-10L "Thor II" SRBs. A big part of it is probably in the SRBs; the old ones had a poor 11:2 full:empty mass ratio, and had the sole advantage of being big and available, while the new ones have an 11:1 full:empty ratio.

sNsE2ok.png

In one funny little incident, when deorbiting a spent booster into the Mun, I apparently ended up with 0.22 L of propellant left in a stage that initially carried over 100,000 L of propellant: http://i.imgur.com/x3iz4DZ.png

There's also the first ion probe, which rendezvoused with a smallish asteroid before releasing an impactor. Rendezvous took a while, and annoyingly, the burn time was miscalculated because MechJeb thought I would stage off the impactor. Still, at over 300 Mm from Kerbin, it's not like I lacked for time to close back up the rendezvous

J1vqiB9.png

I also rendezvoused a six-pack of small impactors with my Flashometer (Impact! mod) satellite so I can quickly punch in those contracts; it should have been an eight-pack, but I overloaded the booster just a little too far, and to ensure I had enough dV for the rendezvous, I used a couple of the impactor probes to get to the Flashometer satellite.

J8ZipjQ.png

I was ready for the switch, this time. Mostly I've been doing airplanes, since I really need mechjeb to do more than put satellites into sloppy orbits. :wink:

Some seaplanes/flying boats:
AS-159_zpsyavgqlpf.jpg

AS-63_zps4pjmvmpt.jpg

A blimp/dirigible:
AS-13_zpsjbragyyh.jpg

AS-7_zpsag5lxmt7.jpg

And some smaller planes:
AS-3_zpsr2tpjkn6.jpg

AS-257_zpscheptg21.jpg

More here:  http://s28.photobucket.com/user/SSgtBaloo/slideshow/WhutEyeBeenDoin23Oct2016

14 minutes ago, Colonel Cbplayer said:

I got my Mech plane to turn into GERWALK mode and fly somewhat reasonable

"Go home, giant robot plane! You're drunk!" :lol:

8 hours ago, eddiew said:

What do you have now? I picked up a nvidia 1060, perfect for the few games I play at full hd. Ksp seems to be cpu limited now, but I won't do better than my overclocked i5 there.... but sounds like 1.2 is faster :)

Nvidia GeForce GTX 645. Sorry, I'm late, but time zones and sleep are the worst combos. TvT;

49 minutes ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

Nvidia GeForce GTX 645. Sorry, I'm late, but time zones and sleep are the worst combos. TvT;

Ooo... yeah, you want to target that as a priority upgrade :)  1060 will do fine for KSP with shiny mods at 1080p or 1200p, not sure about higher. (Skip the phone case, save the money :wink:)

First of all I launched sats in every direction bar retrograde.
8hAn7Uo.png

Spoiler

Recovery is important, it saves money which Bill approves of. The less time he spends in the scrap yard the better.
Service the engines? Nah just fill em with raw sugar and a little bit of fertiliser and you're good to go. What's the worst that could happen?

unI1npM.png

aem9Tqe.png

73GFGED.png

B2yEIP7.png

2qOfh8C.png

S3yyBa2.png

And of course these satellites are to service the still very dodgy tourist side of the business. Since they have pretty much bankrolled the whole thing it's only right we track and control them MOST of the way round the planet. Though we still get questions a to why there is no pilot, we get away with telling the customers in the cockpit they are flying from the back and telling those in the crew cabin the pilot's up front. Bob says he still doesn't know why the parachutes keep arming and then disarming at the worst times possible, but so long as the interns don't fall asleep they can keep manually rearming them before they drop out of coms range. He promises to check it out with Bill one of these days but he's been promising that for about a year now.
k0Ickfo.png

Spoiler

pZx4AH5.png

eOn4aTf.png

HfUAMgw.png

bRP8Xzh.png

Some of the ground crew have reported the return vehicle coming back in all kinds of strange configurations that just don't make sense.
(Meanwhile in orbit)
U46KhM1.png

Valentina and Jeb tested some new experimental aircraft. While Jeb wasn't happy with the lack of boosters or orbital capability Valentina seemed rather more pleased with the small test plane and it's capabilities.

nKQJEWI.png

Spoiler

lqnXUPN.png

o55Bkfn.png

1YxIven.png

And Bill finally figured out why the board keeps insisting he service the engines before he refills them.
Y2aS9Zg.png

Thankfully this was a satellite or Jeb would have been difficult to identify or even find.

Spoiler

uvHzfHC.png
Bob says it looks pretty but he says that about all exothermic reactions.
xlkDPB1.png

In other news in response to Bill and Bobs request for more crew for the engineering and science teams the board has gone ahead and hired two colonists. This has the whole crew riled up. Jeb was quoted as saying "We haven't even reached the Mun yet what do we need those poser goobags for?", The board has taken a keen note of Jebs "request" and has drawn up plans to send Jeb o the Mun as soon as they possibly can. Once they put a satellite out there Jeb will be on the next rocket out there.

Edited by ThatHomelessGuy
Missed images

I sent mission to Duna (almost successfull )

NcEzbaU.jpg

Main ship with nuclear engine, lander with terrier. And.. i forgot to add parachutes on lander. After it left atmosphere i tried to circulate my orbit, but i ran out of fuel! Not enough 20 dV.. Goodbye, Jeb xD
(gray tank only with LF because i have interstellar fuel switch mod)

Edited by qvazzar

5 minutes ago, qvazzar said:

NcEzbaU.jpg

Main ship with nuclear engine, lander with terrier.

For a small vehicle like that, it would probably be more efficient to use a Terrier on the return module. Duna missions are easily doable with only chemical propulsion, and for a small-scale non-reusable mission like yours, chemical propulsion is the most effective. Nuclear engines become better when you have a large enough vehicle to compensate for the high mass of the engine. It's also best to use a dedicated liquid fuel tank for nuclear engines rather than one that holds liquid fuel and oxidizer (I know that you can drain the oxidizer, but then the tank doesn't have a great ratio of fuel mass to dry mass).

@qvazzar another thing is, if you're not opposed to some slight cheating, it might be a good idea to test out your landers before actually using them by hyperediting them to their destination. That way you would know, for example, to add a little more fuel so that your lander can circularize and reach the return module. Although, you could EVA your kerbal and use their jetpack to finalize the orbit if you only need a little bit more delta-v (though this isn't easy for multi-crew vehicles).

10 hours ago, qvazzar said:

I tried, but for me it's impossible. Lander starts rotating because it don't have probe core for SAS.

Do you need the lander for some reason? If not you could just circularize the Kerbal (takeing any data from the capsule with you). Kerbals have 600m/s of Dv in their jet packs iirc.

weOX2Ms.jpg

I somehow managed to blow up both the SPH and the VAB while buzzing around in a F-16 replica.

Also found out stock electric planes and water don't mix.v44JIIF.jpg

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139
Grammar OCD

5 hours ago, qvazzar said:

I tried, but for me it's impossible. Lander starts rotating because it don't have probe core for SAS.

I meant forget about the lander and just get the kerbal into a stable orbit. If it's a single-use lander then you're not going to have much use for the lander capsule anyway, and if it was supposed to be reusable then you'll need to send a replacement with more fuel anyway since the original can't circularize.

(1.1.3, 2 crits to go). Played in my laptop career save Friday night and a bit on Saturday. Main focus was on having Bob grab as much orbital Mün science as he could before beginning landings; he cleared twelve biomes before I got bored and sent him down to the surface. While that was still ongoing, I finished retrieving Buremy from Mün aboard Gurney 7; got my Kerbin periapsis a little low so that one was hairier than normal but I still successfully retrieved the craft. I also got Beep Beep 7f and Beep Beep 7h into their final orbital positions. With other stuff finished, it was time to send Bob and Flaming Death Trap 7 down. First landing attempt was at the Polar Crater and I set down too hard for the matchstick lander legs to handle - busted off all twelve of them on the first landing. The craft still had plenty of delta-V and a jorb to do, though, so we did it - Bob landed three more times, at the Poles, Highlands and Midlands, before the decision was made to send him on back to Kerbin. The craft was successfully retrieved, with Bob bringing back close to 2,500 science points and wrapping up two Mün-based contracts in the process. Unlocked a fair amount of really nice lower-level stuff with the haul. Also raised enough money to upgrade the SPH and Runway to where I could attempt to fly Bad Idea 3. As I suspected, the plane sucked...

Last night, I started to get interplanetary in earnest. In preparation for future missions, I sent relay satellites, in a convenient cluster of transfer windows, to Jool and Dres. From my rather sloppy Jool encounter, I first burned radial to bring my periapsis down to my desired orbit, then I made a combined burn at Jool's equator to both capture and change inclination, ending up with a nearly perfect retrograde orbit of 179.75 degrees. I ended the burn with 4 m/s left in the NERV tank,  but each individual satellite has about 2000 m/s of maneuvering fuel.